Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #16
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1050
Default Re: Just got killed in sparring, have my first fight Sunday

Thanks for the responses lads!

Physically I feel in great condition i've done my roadwork and worked hard in the gym. The problem is that I don't feel as if i've had enough quality sparring for the fight. My gym doesn't place enough emphasis on it I feel, which I know is ludicrous. I usually spar with a guy who has about 7 fights with a losing record, but he isn't that good, although i usually control the spar. I'm going for another spar tonight, i'll see how i feel after that.

Last edited by Celtic Warrior; 10-30-2009 at 04:04 PM. Reason: SPELLING
Celtic Warrior is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2009, 01:03 PM   #17
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

how many sparring partners have you got ??
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 PM   #18
Bazooka
Pimp C Wants 2 Be Me
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Warrior View Post
Thanks for the responses lads!

Physically I feel in great condition i've done my roadwork and worked hard in the gym. The problem is that I don't feel as if i've had enough quality sparring for the fight. My gym doesn't place enough emphasis on it I feel which I know is ludicrous. I usually spar with a guy who has about 7 fights with a losing record, but he isn't that good, although i usually get control the spar. I'm going for another spar tonight, i'll see how i feel after that.

I would advise against sparring again, you should rest today and tomorrow you will need your legs, the last week is supposed to be the wind down week where you put in less rounds of everything....
Bazooka is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #19
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turpinr View Post
how many sparring partners have you got ??
Two or three mate, but mostly the guy I mentioned with 7 fights. However, I am much more worried about the infrequency of sparring at my gym, sometimes we can go a month without actually sparring. I try to compensate for this by doing loads of pad work but it's nothing like the real thing. The spar I had on thursday was a "wake up call," Part of me is saying take the fight, anybody with the will to be a fighter would, however I must be smart and accept the fact that I don't have the rounds of sparring under my belt yet to step into the ring proper.

Thanks everyone for the comments!
Old 10-30-2009, 05:33 PM   #20
Jack Johnson
Journeyman

Celtic Warrior how long you boxing mate? jeez, a month without sparring seems a long while..
Jack Johnson is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #21
boxingwizard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazooka View Post
I would not advise him to pull out of his fight, usally a guy knowing his first fight is just days away he is so excited the nerves are so wound up he is going to make some mistakes in sparring, I see it all the time with new guys.

He was in there with someone who had more experience probably a little heavier even, There are also just days your flat, and you cant seem to find a rythem as long as he has been doing his road work and putting in 100% in the gym he is sharp ready to go...

forget what happend in sparring, Sunday is what he needs to focus on.
I have my first fight in 3 weeks and I can tell that as the day of the fight gets closer I'll become more nervous. My trainers have put me through extreme cardio with not much in the way of breaks and heavy running, shoulder muscle exercises, intense heavybag sessions, all desgined to get me to go a hard 3 rounds. I'm surprised I haven't done any sparring this week though, I feel like I need some. I'm going to the gym today but it's Friday and not much goes on then except for basic workouts.
boxingwizard is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2009, 06:18 PM   #22
Jack Johnson
Journeyman

Boxing Wizard you only started not so long ago yea? how often have you been sparring? will you be fighting another novice i presume?
Jack Johnson is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2009, 05:14 AM   #23
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Two or three mate, but mostly the guy I mentioned with 7 fights. However, I am much more worried about the infrequency of sparring at my gym, sometimes we can go a month without actually sparring. I try to compensate for this by doing loads of pad work but it's nothing like the real thing. The spar I had on thursday was a "wake up call," Part of me is saying take the fight, anybody with the will to be a fighter would, however I must be smart and accept the fact that I don't have the rounds of sparring under my belt yet to step into the ring proper.

Thanks everyone for the comments!
i can understand why you'd be worried about your lack of sparring.going a month without spariing will **** your timing up.we trained 4 times a week and sparred every time as far as can remember.
sunday mornings were all sparring,so we coulndn't **** about the night before !!
is there a reason your trainer doesn't have you sparring more ??
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2009, 06:03 AM   #24
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

I get the kids at my gym sparring every night they're in. Not heavy but just practising moves. How can anyone learn to fight a person- hitting a pad. This thread just demonstrates how many shit trainers there are in boxing with no common sense.

Also for activating your energy systems- nothing is better then sparring other then running up hills which isn't sport specific. Spar, spar and spar. Get a 'team' working together- no one trying to be the 'best' and put each other through it.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2009, 10:47 AM   #25
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I've started boxing about six months ago and I absolutely love the sport. My trainers are a few old guys who give me the impression they are there just to get away from their wives lol. Feedback is limited, I have learnt more about the sport through this forum than I have from them. On the flip side, I know they don't really get any financial reward for the time they spend at the gym. As for the lack of sparring I really don't understand why? It's not just myself, there can really be periods of up to a month when nobody at the gym is sparring!

I don't have much faith in my trainers, however I'm moving to South Korea next month to teach english for a year or two. My first priority when I get of the plane is to find a good boxing gym, I'm determined to do as well as I possibly can, as boxing is now more than a sport to me , it is a passion!
Old 10-31-2009, 10:53 AM   #26
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I've started boxing about six months ago and I absolutely love the sport. My trainers are a few old guys who give me the impression they are there just to get away from their wives lol.
both of my main trainers were like that.the older one still lived with his wife but they hadn't spoken for years.i just think he hated women.is there no other club you can join ??
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2009, 01:46 PM   #27
Mike_S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

We had a problem at our old gym with infrequent sparring, once every 2 weeks if you're lucky. So I started going to another gym once or twice a week for the sparring, now I'm at a new gym altogether we can spar every night, so if you miss a day, not so much worry. With sparring infrequently I found it difficult to build on what I had learnt from the last spar, instead just new problems cropping up everywhere.
Mike_S is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2009, 12:08 AM   #28
boxingwizard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Johnson View Post
Boxing Wizard you only started not so long ago yea? how often have you been sparring? will you be fighting another novice i presume?
Yes, I started 4 weeks ago. I started sparring my 2nd week of training, so I've been sparring just a couple weeks, only done it 3 sessions so far. Yes I'm sure another novice, I have no idea who I'm facing or what to expect, I just want to win.
Old 11-01-2009, 12:09 AM   #29
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxingwizard View Post
Yes, I started 4 weeks ago. I started sparring my 2nd week of training, so I've been sparring just a couple weeks, only done it 3 sessions so far. Yes I'm sure another novice, I have no idea who I'm facing or what to expect, I just want to win.
When is this fight ?
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2009, 01:38 AM   #30
boxingwizard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

November 21.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing