Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing > Training Logs

Old 10-20-2009, 04:23 AM   #46
Rob3
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Injury/Training update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam1222 View Post
Sorry mate, but i almost always run alone or just with my brother. i don't really do much racing etc, as i run purely for fitness and only time myself out of curiosity. plus i'm looking into re-enlisting in the forces and the recruiter told me i need to be running 3 miles in 22 mins so i took it as a bit of a challenge

No worries for over-training neither, i tend to have easy (ish) days and hard days and make sure i get 1 or 2 rest days per week too (although, i'll still do something, whether its just walking the dog or going out on the bike or for a swim, and i do press ups, pull ups etc everyday). i don't want to sound arrogant here but i know my body, and it is used to it yeah. ive pushed myself like this for years, and i tend to mix my training up a fair bit too, but i'm no superman, and like i say, i know when my body needs rest so take a day or 2 off now when needed. a few months ago i was injured and couldn't train for about 5 weeks, drove me crazy!
Good stuff.

I almost had to put myself on a enforced rest for a few days last week, just very light excercise. Went for a long run for the first time in a week this morning and was flying. I'll get the gains from all the miles I put it in in the next 4-6 weeks. You should piss any fitness test I imagine. I might use some of these circuits for myself though
Rob3 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2009, 06:31 AM   #47
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3 View Post
Good stuff.

I almost had to put myself on a enforced rest for a few days last week, just very light excercise. Went for a long run for the first time in a week this morning and was flying. I'll get the gains from all the miles I put it in in the next 4-6 weeks. You should piss any fitness test I imagine. I might use some of these circuits for myself though
Cheers mate

Yeah i know what you mean, that's the only thing i like about enforced rest, (the injury a few months back for example) the enjoyment and satisfaction of getting back to full/peak fitness again. the human body is the best workout machine there is, its amazing what you can put it through. I read somewhere though that you have 10 days or so before fitness levels start to drop, so you should be ok. obviously the fitter you are the faster you regain fitness

And yeah, i reckon i won't have any problems. i wanted to re-enlist in the RAF as a driver so i can get a trade for when i come back to civvy street, but ive been waiting 3 months already for the driver jobs to re-open so i figure **** it, i'll go for RAF regiment. (my 2nd choice) that's what they have been trying to steer me towards anyway due to my previous army service, so why not. there's no work about out here.

Yeah go for it mate, the best thing about these routines is that the results come quick. pull ups, press ups, dips, sit ups, burpees and squats form the core of my workouts, on top of whatever else i'm doing, be it weights, running, cycling or whatever. i absolutely swear by them.
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 06:17 PM   #48
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Been busy, didnt train on tuesday apart from 3 mile spartan and circuit training in the morning. yesterday did 4 mile run and the usual PT circuits morning and afternoon along with some Tabata weights workouts.

Today (thursday 22nd)

Morning. 3 mile spartan run. Burpee press/pull ups on the football posts, 4 sets of 25.

Afternoon. Circuit training, squats, burpees, press ups dips, sit ups , tuck jumps, chin ups etc.
6 rounds heavy bag/ 6 pads
6 rounds sparring
10 mins skipping (no rest)
Tabata weights. Squat press, DB curls, shoulder press, clean and press.
Finished with chin ups to failure, then skipping to warm down
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #49
Mohak
RIP Smokin' Joe
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Cheers mate

Yeah i know what you mean, that's the only thing i like about enforced rest, (the injury a few months back for example) the enjoyment and satisfaction of getting back to full/peak fitness again. the human body is the best workout machine there is, its amazing what you can put it through. I read somewhere though that you have 10 days or so before fitness levels start to drop, so you should be ok. obviously the fitter you are the faster you regain fitness

And yeah, i reckon i won't have any problems. i wanted to re-enlist in the RAF as a driver so i can get a trade for when i come back to civvy street, but ive been waiting 3 months already for the driver jobs to re-open so i figure **** it, i'll go for RAF regiment. (my 2nd choice) that's what they have been trying to steer me towards anyway due to my previous army service, so why not. there's no work about out here.

Yeah go for it mate, the best thing about these routines is that the results come quick. pull ups, press ups, dips, sit ups, burpees and squats form the core of my workouts, on top of whatever else i'm doing, be it weights, running, cycling or whatever. i absolutely swear by them.

RAF Reg is more ''rock n' roll'' than just being a driver. But, I'm young and stupid, so what do I know. I thought of joining the French Foreign Legion not too long ago.

Have you phoned your recruiter and hassled him? We both know that nothing gets done in the British Military without constantly chasing up people or constantly making your voice heard. Keep bugging the RAF to get you that drivers position. Even if they say no, keep pressuring them til you get what you want.

Good luck mate. Hope it all works out for you
Mohak is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2009, 06:26 AM   #50
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohak View Post
RAF Reg is more ''rock n' roll'' than just being a driver. But, I'm young and stupid, so what do I know. I thought of joining the French Foreign Legion not too long ago.

Have you phoned your recruiter and hassled him? We both know that nothing gets done in the British Military without constantly chasing up people or constantly making your voice heard. Keep bugging the RAF to get you that drivers position. Even if they say no, keep pressuring them til you get what you want.

Good luck mate. Hope it all works out for you
Cheers mate

And yeah i know. i served a year with the royal marines before having to join the army (3 years with a line reg. before joining 16 air assault for my last 5) so i know as good as anyone what their like. i just felt it'd be better to get a trade at my age, ive done my time at the front. but from what ive been told this will still be possible with the rocks anyway so **** it.

Ive thought about the legion a few times too

If it wasnt for my kids i'd go join in a heartbeat!

Last edited by sam1222; 10-23-2009 at 07:48 PM.
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2009, 08:36 PM   #51
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Friday 23rd.
Morning.

3 Mile spartan run. 50 burpee press up/pull ups and ****ed about on the monkey bars, chin ups, dips, hand over hand stuff etc.

Circuit training and PT pyramids.
6 x 3s heavy bag
5 x 3s pads
3 x 3s skipping
Hill sprints x 15. (this made me throw up)

Saturday 24th. morning.
5 mile run (steady) followed by 45 min circuit training

Afternoon.
Weights (pyramids in weight up to failure, sets of 10 until forced to drop reps to 5s)
Bench: upto 85kg then 5 sets of 5
Incline bench: upto 70kg then 5 x 5s
Incline DB press: upto 25kg DBs then 5 x 5s
Concentration curls: upto 20kg DBs then 5 x 5s
Skull crushers: upto 35kg then 5 x 5s (unimpressed with this but felt i was gonna tear my triceps)
DB Rows: upto 40kg DBs then 5 x 5s (****ed at this point)
Tabata Doubles: repeated all the above twice at much lighter weight, 8 mins each.
Pull up/push workout. (this was a killer to get through as i felt i had nothing left)
2 mile jog home.
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #52
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Been busy and not be on here much but still training as hard as always. usual stuff and nothing to add.
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2009, 07:49 AM   #53
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I'm still reading but. These sessions are that of a professional athlete.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2009, 08:08 PM   #54
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
I'm still reading but. These sessions are that of a professional athlete.
Nah mate i'm not a pro athlete, i just like to push myself hard. these few pages here are just a few months example of the training and type of routines ive used for years. the army helped me build a high level of fitness and ive worked hard to maintain that level over the years, but ive always been fit anyway having boxed from a young age.

These routines work though mate, especially the strength stuff and the circuit training. running is always hard, no matter how much you do it (it is for me anyway) but thats the beauty of it. you can always push yourself that bit harder each session, and for me thats what its all about.

Sometimes i feel i'm wasting my fitness to be honest, i dont box anymore and never turned pro and at 34 its unlikely that i will now, and ive never really been involved in any other sport. i train for personal reasons. simply to stay in shape and cos i enjoy it. but maybe this is why i'm considering re applying to the forces, for the challenge of it.. who knows.
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 11-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #55
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202
Default Re: Sam's Training Log

Saw you post and remembered I forgot something
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2009, 07:05 AM   #56
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Saw you post and remembered I forgot something
no probs mate.

cheers
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2010, 09:59 AM   #57
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Doing much more weight training again at the mo...using a 4 day split push/pull routine and cut back on cardio quite a bit... running 2 3-milers per week at most but doing more hill sprints.

pull up/press up routines are still in place, as are the circuit training drills but only doing 2-3 days now, and some of it is mixed in on light weights days, with press up, dips and pull ups on heavy days to finish off.

Progress is going pretty good, especially with the deadlifts (upto 165kg now and working towards pulling 200kg) bench is at 95kg which i'm not happy about and i dont have an exact 1rm for squats til i have access to a squat rack, but its only around 90kg which is weak. 75kg military press (with strict form) and around 80-85kg push press.

My training goals right now are: overheads 100kg, squat 160-180kg, deads 200-220kg by april. if i hit these targets i'm going to enter my first weight-lifting/strongman comp in may.
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 04-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #58
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Still training but not been coming on here much due to real life getting in the way.

On my 3rd cycle of wendler's 5/3/1 routine. getting good gains but its slowing down now from when i started the routine. deadlift:170kg / bench:105kg / squats:120kg / O/H press:85kg. i still do loads of cardio tho so this may be hindering gains a little too.

Love the bear complex. and super-setting tabata squats with tabata burpees. i do it twice, back to back after 3 mile run every other day. (to joker: i'm back at around 21 mins now, so heavy training has definately slowed me down a bit)

Finding it hard to keep from getting bored with the weights routine at times though, increasingly having to add stuff on weights days to spice it up a bit, rope climbing for example, done 4 hours after my workout, 30ft rope with a 20kg plate on my back. this is a killer but very good for core strength.

i've also been doing the 600 press ups in an hour thing too after getting the idea from a thread on here. i ached like mad for a couple days after the first time but my body got used to it pretty quick even though i only did it once a week for a month. we didn't bother with the 10 in a min thing, just went for it doing sets of 25. after 2 weeks we were up to around 800 press ups in 60 mins but it gets boring. so i'll stick to mixing press ups in with my circuits.
sam1222 is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2010, 09:01 AM   #59
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Still training but not been coming on here much due to real life getting in the way.
You should not let real life get in the way of your ESB obligations
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 04-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #60
sam1222
**** You.
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
You should not let real life get in the way of your ESB obligations
Had no choice mate, it kinda forced itself on me