Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Anything wrong with being a brawler?

Well, I've been boxing/ weight lifting for quite a few years. I'm a naturally small person, but lifting for about 6 years now...I'm not small now.
When I used to box I would use my speed, get away, etc (I wouldn't like to trade, or get hit much). I was about 5'6 145 at the time and pretty muscular. I decided if I wanted to box I'd have to work my neck like crazy, as well as my legs/ core.
Right now I'm 5'6 170 (still at a good body fat percentage), and amazed how well my punch resistance is. I stretch a lot, and shadow box so I kept most of my speed/ flexibility while gaining the weight slowly.
Here's my thing though...I used to try to be a Mayweather (run around, pop shot, don't get in exchanges), and I have good skills at doing that. NOW though, I have about the style of Ricky hatton/ older Mike Tyson. I like to grab, wrestle, punch in the clinch. I have pretty good head movement and work on it a fair amount, but when it comes to fighting I never use it much.
I just stick up my guard, will take some punches to the gloves/ elbows, and muscle my way in while they try to keep me back. Once I get inside then beat them mainly with hooks, few uppercuts if I see an opening, I'll throw some straights (mainly to get there guards up so I can fire some hooks around the guard). Of course doing this...Against ALL taller guys I take some punches, but I do not mind taking them anymore, and rarely feel much (usually no head gear either, and them outweighing me)
Should I take more time, and use my skills, or if this works just stick to it? I just like to brawl, but I know taking punches isn't a good thing for the old brain.....
Primenal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2009, 04:08 PM   #2
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347
Default Re: Anything wrong with being a brawler?

You're not going to get far from just brawling, it does come in handy to mix it up. But you need to learn how to box
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
bobalachko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Theres nothing wrong with brawling but if you want to be the best you can brawling is not the way
bobalachko is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Being one dimensional is never optimal. You can be a banger, but still use skills. You mentioned older Mike Tyson...why not try to be like Younger Mike Tyson?
Moving out of the way of punches or blocking them is preferred to taking them. I'd also recommend dropping weight. At your height, that's pretty heavy. Guys that weigh in 170 are probably legit cruiser weights. Who walk around at 190, and are like 6'3.
Jennifer Love Hewitt is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Love Hewitt View Post
Being one dimensional is never optimal. You can be a banger, but still use skills. You mentioned older Mike Tyson...why not try to be like Younger Mike Tyson?
Moving out of the way of punches or blocking them is preferred to taking them. I'd also recommend dropping weight. At your height, that's pretty heavy. Guys that weigh in 170 are probably legit cruiser weights. Who walk around at 190, and are like 6'3.
Yeah...I speak of Older Tyson because he didn't move his head much, and just fought. Do you guys think since I like to brawl, and have much the same advantages (compact, strength, etc), and disadvantages (short) I should try to work his style? I just enjoy being on top of the action so I hate to angle all the time, step in and out, etc. I can do it if I focus, but if I'm stronger than my sparring partners, and shorter of course...Don't feel like I need too. Any tecniques, certain kind of boxing work, maybe a fighters style, etc that I should do/ look in to?
As for my weight I know what you mean. I am a pretty solid 170 pounds, BUT I do realize it'd be waaaaay to heavy for amatuers. It's the reason I never bothered fighting amatuers. a good tall guy (whom weighs more than me naturally), with a decent jab, and some good footwork would pick me apart. Even if I did win...I'd still get my head jabbed off.
I love boxing though, I love sparring, etc. So, just want to take full advantage of what I have, and still not sure if I'd ever want to go further or not.
Primenal is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
Youngblood
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Brawlers are freakin awesome!

to pick apart.
Youngblood is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1057

You might like brawling now but you won't like it when you step up in class against a fighter who has a well schooled jab and good defense you will be picked apart and there will be nowhere to hide.

learn some defense, footwork and how to set up your punches or you will be very sorry
sugarsean is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2009, 08:37 PM   #8
scotchpieirnbru
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It sounds to me that you can box a bit but have got lazy becuase your size allows you to bully lighter/weaker guys.

Im a tall, slender fighter, and i love using footwork to fight guys of your build. Have you found you get your head jabbed off fighting better quality fighters?

If i were you i'd work on your cardio a bit more as weightlifters usually get slightly slack on this, and try to get back into the habit of moving in and out more, mixing it up with different shots.

A decent fighter will expose your brawler style easliy. If i were you, get back to a high work level and use your skills as you cleary have some.
scotchpieirnbru is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #9
Primenal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchpieirnbru View Post
It sounds to me that you can box a bit but have got lazy becuase your size allows you to bully lighter/weaker guys.

Im a tall, slender fighter, and i love using footwork to fight guys of your build. Have you found you get your head jabbed off fighting better quality fighters?

If i were you i'd work on your cardio a bit more as weightlifters usually get slightly slack on this, and try to get back into the habit of moving in and out more, mixing it up with different shots.

A decent fighter will expose your brawler style easliy. If i were you, get back to a high work level and use your skills as you cleary have some.
I think you are correct about the lazy part. I do keep a high guard though so not many people can jab my head off...Of course they jab my guard while I walk towards them, but eventually I counter (whenever they throw I just blast them first), or I walk them down on the inside, and then work on them. I really don't take many flush shots. The only people who really hit me flush are people who are incredibly quick, great at feinting, or very good at working the angles.
I did take your guys advice though, and going to start working with a partner, and practice more head movement, and using more footwork. I think I do got the gifts to bang with most people (good power, a good chin, and quick hands), but to be exceptional I think I really need to add more to my game.
Primenal is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

being a brawler as your CORE style is fine but you must be able to do everything else. otherwise you'll come up against someone more suited to brawling i.e. strength and power, then you are ****ed. you'll just be butting heads ala castillo vs corrales. in the rematch castillo had the versatility to include side stepping, jabbing etc and he came away with the win.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I see brawling more as a behaviour and philosophy, use it at the right time and it will probably win you a match. Just because you're wild and train for short hard hits and massive flurries doesn't mean you don't need to learn the game like a boxer. I see it used affectively as a blitzkrieg tactic rather than your basic style of fighting.

If you've got the ticka to pull off a good brawl/fight I say all the power to ya, just don't lose your head in the process.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #12
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Depends on the reason I think. If you're a brawler because it's all you know and you're just limited, that's wrong. If you do it because it suits you or the situation, that's fine.
RDJ is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing