Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-04-2009, 10:55 PM   #1
cdnboxing
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default A Sparring disaster

So I just recently got back into boxing after a fairly long layoff due to many factors ie. school, work etc. I havent had a fight yet despite being scheduled to fight twice. Both of them werent medically cleared to fight.

So tonight, I sparred for the first time in quite awhile. Im about 185 and I sparred two fighters, one of them being a person around my weight who has had 14 fights and the other one, a solid 155lb'er with 12 fights.

I went 2 rounds with the 155'er and did quite well. I am much taller than him and I have a good weight advantage so I was able to keep my distance. However, hes faster than me and slick so I ran into a couple problems when he was able to get on the inside. Overall, I thought I did a good job.

I then sparred 2 rounds with the 185'er and quite simply got my ass kicked. 1st round, I got hit harder than ive ever been hit in sparring, it was right in the nose which started bleeding. And the entire 1st round, I essentially landed nothing. In the 2nd round, I made some adjustments and was able to land a couple single shots but then nearing the end of the round, I got hit with a body shot that was placed so well, I literally just took a knee. I couldnt breathe for like 20 seconds. It was brutal.

The coach was actually upset at the 185'er because he is much more experienced than me and better and he went perhaps way too hard on someone who is just trying to get my feet wet. I've sparred better fighters before but the difference is they understand the correct way to spar. This guy was throwing bombs right from the beginning.

So overall, I felt like a bitch tonight and it was a pretty bad experience because of how bad I did. And I honestly dont think im going to learn much sparring this guy because the skill difference is so wide at this stage. Im essentially going to walk into beatings everytime.

Have you guys had similar stories with guys who spar perhaps too hard and how did you overcome it?
cdnboxing is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2009, 11:06 PM   #2
aj415
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1181
Default Re: A Sparring disaster

I told them to slow the **** down, and if that didn't work I landed a hayemaker or tried to.

All in all, getting your ass handed to you can be a great learning experience. Get over your dissappointment and reflect if you look hard enough you will find things that can help you.

But certainly get sparring partners that your comfortable with.
aj415 is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
cdnboxing
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Yeah I definitely think this is beneficial to me in the long run.

But I just feel really uncomfortable sparring this guy. He really doesnt know how to control himself and im really not learning anything from it. The other sparring partner although lighter, I had 2 great rounds with. We each landed some shots but overall I felt we learned alot and it was competitive. And thats what I need.
cdnboxing is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2009, 12:10 AM   #4
joejab
Thread Killa
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Had a somewhat similar experience about a week ago.
joejab is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2009, 03:39 AM   #5
cm_boxing
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I know the feeling man. The first time i sparred was against a two time golden gloves champ, he absolutely tooled me. It wasnt just his power and speed, his defense was levels above mine. It was very humiliating but at the same time it awoke something inside of me. It made me realize that i gotta work hard to get to that level. Getting owned like that turned out to be a good thing for me but i agree that i probably wont learn anything if i spar him again at my level right now.
cm_boxing is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
Jack Johnson
Journeyman

Buddy i had the exact same experience a few weeks ago, except was my first time sparring! and yea it isnt nice, but i feel stronger for it afterwards now, i know i can take a few hard hits. The guy you were sparring should have known better or else was just been a dick..just live and learn from it, like myself you will get progressively better and more confident the more you spar.
Jack Johnson is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #7
dfh85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

edit for privacy

Last edited by dfh85; 11-05-2009 at 01:25 PM.
dfh85 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
Jack Johnson
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfh85 View Post
Yep.

My first time EVER sparring was against a pro who is 20:0 with 15 KO's. The whole gym was watching.

He went to town on me. He was touching his left foot before he jabbed, punching behind his back, doing spinning punches and dancing. We went 3 rounds.

I was new to the gym and didn't know anyone. I guess someone felt sorry for me because in the 3rd round he said to me "Go for his body. Don't play his game." I realised it was me who was allowing him to make me look stupid because I lost my cool I was throwing wild punches and had no footwork or head movement.

In the third round I was calm and focussed on avoiding his range and punches. I waited for him to clown around some more (he put his hands above his head like a balerina/belly dancer and rotated his hips), I am a big guy at 200LB and have very heavy hands. So I wound up and hit him as hard as I could in the stomach. He went back on the ropes and crouched down. The whole gym was screaming and whooping and laughing at him.

He got up and broke my nose. There was blood everywhere. I'd never been hit like that, out of nowhere 6 or 7 punches landed to my head in the time I thought he had to throw one punch.

We are now good friends and he helps me to improve all the time. We will spar again one day, I don't know when...

How or why did your trainer put you in there in the first place?? and all i can say about the guy you spared is what a dickhead!
Jack Johnson is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #9
dfh85
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 500

For real. My trainer didn't even put me in, someone asked if I wanted to spar and I said "Ok but I've never done it before" within ten mins I had molded a mouthguard and put on headgear and groin protector for the first time and proceeded to get beat down.
dfh85 is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #10
stefanoitch
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Theres this old guy at my gym, He's about 45+, who used to be norwegian champion.
He was an active amatuere boxer for 10 years and had over 100 fights all over the world.
I asked him if he wanted to go some rounds and he agreed. Ive never been beaten up so bad in my entire life. I couldn't eat probarly for weeks, my nose was busted and i was having these flashbacks. I feelt like everything had happened before. We went 5 rounds, havent sparred him since. This was a couple of years ago
stefanoitch is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing