Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2009, 12:34 AM   #46
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Reykjavík
Posts: 22,534
vCash: 2500
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachibatches View Post
A bit like Archie Moore?
Not sure he's got the whole rolling off the shoulder thing down to a tee to compensate for that just yet Ol' Mongoose was a crafty SOB in there.

I wonder if Pulev wouldn't be better just keeping things in the traditional Eastern style and keeping his gloves nearer his chin at all times. I havn't seen his first fights but I heard he got hit. He obviously likes to have a clear view of things and be reactive, which might be okay as an amateur when there are pillow gloves and the other guy is point scoring but we'll see how that works out for him as he progresses.
TFFP is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2009, 04:38 AM   #47
Ivo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 2,570
vCash: 1151
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

I think that this time Kubrat Pulev looked much better than in his first fight. I guess he made the right adjustments. He controlled the fight well from a distance.
Ivo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:10 AM   #48
rapidfire
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ibbenbüren/Germany
Posts: 1,326
vCash: 75
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

That rabbit punch was nasty and to me it seemed that he really liked doing it. That´s not a fighter i will root for, but he looks somewhat promising in his skills, to be fair.
rapidfire is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 05:19 AM   #49
ogii3
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 202
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidfire View Post
That rabbit punch was nasty and to me it seemed that he really liked doing it. That´s not a fighter i will root for, but he looks somewhat promising in his skills, to be fair.
Kubrat received several low blows during fight and maybe this inspires him to use th nasty illigal blow in the last round.
Something interesting from him - he said that he wasen't warm up very well, cos the previous fight was scheduled for 8 rounds and was expected to go full distance, but ended with first round KO. This was the reason he do not enter into the fight in the first two rounds and keeps quite defensive.
About his guard, one of his best qualities is that he has amazing feeling of distance and this helps him a lot. He is also very fast with legs for his 108-109 kg.
He also said that his next opponent on 5th December gala probably will be from USA.
ogii3 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:12 AM   #50
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,512
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogii3 View Post
Kubrat received several low blows during fight and maybe this inspires him to use th nasty illigal blow in the last round.
Something interesting from him - he said that he wasen't warm up very well, cos the previous fight was scheduled for 8 rounds and was expected to go full distance, but ended with first round KO. This was the reason he do not enter into the fight in the first two rounds and keeps quite defensive.
About his guard, one of his best qualities is that he has amazing feeling of distance and this helps him a lot. He is also very fast with legs for his 108-109 kg.
He also said that his next opponent on 5th December gala probably will be from USA.
Interesting news,ogii! Pulev will appear on the undercard of Huck vs Olafabi as well as his victorious stable mate Helenius.
Does Pulev have the intention to move to Berlin/Germany in order to train under the command of Sauerland's head coach Wegner as does Helenius?
Odo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #51
ogii3
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 202
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

Kubrat is comming to Germany just few days before every fight (max a week time). Before that he is training under his old coach Mikhail Takov (who was coaching Tontcho Tontchev during times when he won European superfeatherweight title in 2001. Also he coached Kindelaki and some other fighters with Panix promotions/Fondu contracts).

I am not so sure if it will be a good idea to come to Wegner, who may want to change his style. Pulev is absolutly complete fighter with more then 250 high level amateur fights from light-heavyweights to Super Heavyweiths since 1999. Now he is very fresh in such 6 rounders, but it may be different when it comes to 8 or 10 rounders against opponents from Gbenga calubur. It may be needed more then just a month to prepare the tactics and condition.

About Helenius, i remember him, when he was amateur and was comming to Bulgaria to fight Strandja cup tournament. During this times he was coached by his father. Maybe it's the same now and just Wegner comming in the ring
ogii3 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:44 AM   #52
Ivo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 2,570
vCash: 1151
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

I think that Kurat should spend more time in Germany. He should try to learn German as well. It is important that he speaks in German to media.

In regard of his Bulgarian coach, I think that at some stage Kubrat should change that. We do not have experienced pro boxing coaches. Those are different sports.
Ivo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:37 AM   #53
ogii3
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 202
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

Sauerland gave to Kubrat Pulev Otto Ramin as a personal coach in Germany, but i am not sure if Kubrat has intentions to learn the language. He said in an interview that his girlfriend knows Deutsch and will be with him for the next fight. Valuev also do not know to speak well German and during pressconference he used translator (i was attending in just one, but think that he didn't improve a lot his language skills since last year).

Takov has big experience as professional coach. He worked as i said with Tontcho Tontchev during his enti career. Also was training with retired as unbeaten heavyweight Georgi Kandelaki. We may add that he spend a lot of time working in the Lennox Lewis college before it was closed in 98 or 99. During this time almost all of Panos Eliadies boxers trained thеre.
ogii3 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:22 AM   #54
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,512
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogii3 View Post
Sauerland gave to Kubrat Pulev Otto Ramin as a personal coach in Germany, but i am not sure if Kubrat has intentions to learn the language. He said in an interview that his girlfriend knows Deutsch and will be with him for the next fight. Valuev also do not know to speak well German and during pressconference he used translator (i was attending in just one, but think that he didn't improve a lot his language skills since last year).

Takov has big experience as professional coach. He worked as i said with Tontcho Tontchev during his enti career. Also was training with retired as unbeaten heavyweight Georgi Kandelaki. We may add that he spend a lot of time working in the Lennox Lewis college before it was closed in 98 or 99. During this time almost all of Panos Eliadies boxers trained thеre.
Ivo is right,ogii!
Pulev has to learn German in order to enhance his financial markebility and to collect big paychecks.
Valuev is a mutant-no need for him to pick up the language of his host nation.
Pulev is a smart fighter. I very much hope that he is also a smart businessman.
He has to learn either German or English to make some big bucks in the paid ranks.
I also agree with Ivo in as far as he has to move over to Germany at one point of his career.
The Germans have quite a handful of experienced pro trainer who k now the ropes and who can teach an old dog some new tricks.
As much as I like Bulgaria and the Bulgarians( I met some very likeable guys from Bulgaria when I was in Spain some weeks ago) your native soil is not the place to be in order to be successful in the paid ranks of pro boxing
Odo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 04:28 AM   #55
ogii3
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 202
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

Odo, nice words for our country You must come for sure some day. And you are right that Bulgaria is not the best place to develop yourself as a pro boxer, regarding lack of promotors and boxing shows.
But you missed some points. Kubrat Pulev is not the guy who will start to learn German language. I saw him, when he communicates very well with Doring in the hotel before and after the match just with some words in English.

Kubrat knows how to act in front of press and how to make noise around himself. I think his English and even with the help of translator he may present some positive mood during press conference and interviews. He also has amazing live story.

About coaches, i am still thinking that Bulgarian coaches are far better then Germans, not only in amateur. Yes, you are right that Wegner has great experience leading his guys, but in order of preparation, game plan etc, some of Bulgarian trainers are on very high level, just they do not have a chance to work, because we don't have promotions.
ogii3 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #56
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,512
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogii3 View Post
Odo, nice words for our country You must come for sure some day. And you are right that Bulgaria is not the best place to develop yourself as a pro boxer, regarding lack of promotors and boxing shows.
But you missed some points. Kubrat Pulev is not the guy who will start to learn German language. I saw him, when he communicates very well with Doring in the hotel before and after the match just with some words in English.

Kubrat knows how to act in front of press and how to make noise around himself. I think his English and even with the help of translator he may present some positive mood during press conference and interviews. He also has amazing live story.

About coaches, i am still thinking that Bulgarian coaches are far better then Germans, not only in amateur. Yes, you are right that Wegner has great experience leading his guys, but in order of preparation, game plan etc, some of Bulgarian trainers are on very high level, just they do not have a chance to work, because we don't have promotions.
I dont know,ogii!

Pro fighting and amateur fighting are close relative,but they are still two different pairs of shoes,so to speak.
A good example: Alexander Zimin. He was a highly decorated and heralded amateur coach back then in the old soviet union and later in Russia.
A great trainer-I am sorry to say this ,but there is no Bulgarian amateur coach who can hold a candle to Zimin nor are they that many coaches out there who can.
But......................did you watch him when he was in Valuev's corner during the Haye fight?
No plan B,no strategy.He advised his boy to use his jab when he was losing the fight and needed a ko to win that fight( okay,the official scorecards were close,but no way would any judge have scored that fight a draw outside Germany).
Instead of advising him to play it rough,corner Haye and wrestle him down putting his weight on the Brit's shoulder,Zimin continued telling his boy that he should use his jab more often.
Zimin's lack of experience in the pro circus was obvious.
The German or German based top trainers know the ropes,ogii!

As for Pulev's language skills he has to speak either German or English quite well to be able to earn big bucks in the German or western market,ogii.Thats the way it works here!
I am absolutely positive that Pulev will pick up German quite quickly if he knows that the command of that language can fill his pockets with decent sums of money

As for Bulgaria, I have already been there.Sorrowly,just a few days.
However,I ve met so many nice and likeable Bulgarians outside Bulgaria( and chicks,too)-especially in Spain,Germany,and the Czech Republic.
Odo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #57
dominic1234
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 300
vCash: 75
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

Kubrat Pulev is fighting American Journeymen Zack Page in a 6 rounder on the Marco Huck card.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
dominic1234 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:14 AM   #58
Ivo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bulgaria
Posts: 2,570
vCash: 1151
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

This Zack Page chap is a small heavyweight apparently but he is very experienced and went the distance with many American prospects. It will be a good sign if Pulev manages to stop him.
Ivo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:46 PM   #59
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 4,512
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominic1234 View Post
Kubrat Pulev is fighting American Journeymen Zack Page in a 6 rounder on the Marco Huck card.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Sauerland truly matches his young guns very toughly these days.
Helenius and Pulev are no protected fighters.Thats for sure!
Odo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:14 PM   #60
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Badlefthook.com
Posts: 11,160
vCash: 75
Default Re: Kubrat Pulev pro debut

Zack Page isn't bad. Solid gatekeeper, and he's knocked off a few prospects on the way up (including knocking out Kasim Howard not too long ago, who some had touted as a possible big thing). He won a wide decision over Cisse Salif not too long ago if that gives people a decent idea of where he is. He likes to grab a lot, he doesn't have a great workrate, and he's on the small side, but he comes in to play the role of the spoiler and has a lot of tricks to disrupt a fighter's rhythm. I guess Sauerland must have really high hopes for this kid if they've put him in with someone like Page this early.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013