Old 11-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #61
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Riddick Bowe vs Vitali Klitschko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Warrior View Post
That arching overhead right only gets there if it isn't blocked....and Vitali WOULD block it.

Shall we take this the whole distance?

The fight would never have happened. Vitali's KO percentage is too damned high. Riddick left the punchers for Lennox to handle.

Cmon, Vitali couldnt carry a retiring Lennox Lewis' jockstrap. Prime Bowe was a monster offensive fighter. You cant block an overhand right anyway, especially thrown from a guy thats 6'5!
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #62
Rubber Warrior
Resident ESB Soothsayer
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
Cmon, Vitali couldnt carry a retiring Lennox Lewis' jockstrap. Prime Bowe was a monster offensive fighter. You cant block an overhand right anyway, especially thrown from a guy thats 6'5!
First, you CAN block a sloppy, arching overhand right...but what you suggest in back-handed fashion is that Bowe would need a straight right...and THAT he didn't have.

Besides, Vitali is WAY more focused than Bowe ever was.
Rubber Warrior is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #63
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
First, you CAN block a sloppy, arching overhand right...but what you suggest in back-handed fashion is that Bowe would need a straight right...and THAT he didn't have.

Besides, Vitali is WAY more focused than Bowe ever was.
You ever see anyone block Bowes righthand? Watch the Gonzalez fight and you'll basically see how Bowe would deal with a taller man thats back pedaling (not to suggest Gonzalez is in Vitali's league). Not sure I would classify Bowes overhand right as sloppy either he got good leverage for a big man.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:27 PM   #64
Rubber Warrior
Resident ESB Soothsayer
ESB Full Member

Quote:
You ever see anyone block Bowes righthand? Watch the Gonzalez fight and you'll basically see how Bowe would deal with a taller man thats back pedaling (not to suggest Gonzalez is in Vitali's league). Not sure I would classify Bowes overhand right as sloppy either he got good leverage for a big man.
He had leverage on his sloppy arching overhand right - yes.

Gonzalez and Vitali are a hemisphere apart in terms of ability, focus, professionalism and grit.
Rubber Warrior is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #65
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
He had leverage on his sloppy arching overhand right - yes.

Gonzalez and Vitali are a hemisphere apart in terms of ability, focus, professionalism and grit.
The problem with me and Riddick Bowe and I often get into pissing matches about him, is because I saw a very good fighter coming up the ranks. I saw a guy who showed tremendous championship heart in taking Evander Holyfields title. No fighter up until that point or after was able to do to that version of Evander Holyfield what Bowe did. Even in the Golota fights the shell of Bowe was still able to make Golota foul out and quit. Has Vitali ever faced a fighter like that even? How would he respond to Bowe who would basically have to be KO'd to stop him. Hes never come out of a tough grueling fight on top even with a depleted great fighter.
That took focus, determination and ten tons more grit than Vitali has ever shown in his career. That in itself is what propels a fighter with less physical attributes to conquer bigger stronger men, and what what Evander made a career out of. So when you factor that in with Bowe's size and ability at his best, he was truly one of the great talents.
That being said, it was short lived and wasted by his total lack of understanding that staying in shape was paramount for competing on the championship level regardless of what opponent was in front of him.
So really Bowe peaked at the first Evander Holyfield fight, that was the best he could be, and what I usually think of when comparing him to other fighters. What would Bowe at his best do to Vitali K. If your speaking of the Bowe that fought Herbie Hide, or Golota, thats a different story, and I fully understand why most people dont think highly of him, but talent for talent, Bowe was a better fighter than Vitali in all departments.

Last edited by lefthook31; 11-10-2009 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #66
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Stylistically, Bowe matches-up poorly with what we have been seeing from Lurch on his comeback. His arching overhand right would be deflected by Vitali's well-timed left arm as we saw over and over again with Arreola. Bowe never had a straight, short right hand....and even if he did it wouldn't help him with Vitali....again given the styles at play.

Bowe often shuffled forward behind his left jab and then threw that arching right. His left jab would be his best weapon with Vitali. His inside game wouldn't even be a factor.

For Klitschko's part, he likes to throw combinations, and I think after the first three or four rounds as Bowe becomes more frustrated he'd be landing them.

I'd bet the farm on the 38 year-old I saw a few months ago over Riddick Bowe.
Rubber Warrior nails it.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2009, 07:44 PM   #67
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

Quote:
Posted by Rubber Warrior
Stylistically, Bowe matches-up poorly with what we have been seeing from Lurch on his comeback. His arching overhand right would be deflected by Vitali's well-timed left arm as we saw over and over again with Arreola. Bowe never had a straight, short right hand....and even if he did it wouldn't help him with Vitali....again given the styles at play.

Bowe often shuffled forward behind his left jab and then threw that arching right. His left jab would be his best weapon with Vitali. His inside game wouldn't even be a factor.

For Klitschko's part, he likes to throw combinations, and I think after the first three or four rounds as Bowe becomes more frustrated he'd be landing them.

I'd bet the farm on the 38 year-old I saw a few months ago over Riddick Bowe.
This fight would be determined with the jab. Riddick Bowe was only troubled by fighters that could out jab him.

Riddick Bowe was outjabbed, at times, by Tubbs, Holyfield, and Golota. Vitali does not have that type of jab. Vitali jabs are less committed feelers. Vitali is a fighter Bowe stands a good chance of winning the jab battle against.

Bowe gives up a couple inches in height, but has an inch advantage in reach. It is not as though Bowe is a much shorter fighter Vitali can move in and out of ranch at will against. Bowe would be looking to nail him with the jab, and anything else he can afterward.

Bowe's right hand would be far more dangerous than Arreola's, because of Bowe's ability to establish his jab.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #68
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Prime vs Prime, Bowe edges Kltiscko on decision.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #69
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

If its Bowe on an average night he loses. Prime Bowe stops Vitali within 9 rounds. Bowe had the strength and inside game to wreck havoc with Vitali in close. Prime Bowes jab would also do its work setting up a huge overhand right that ends the fight.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 01-12-2013, 09:22 PM   #70
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Bowe decision, Vitali couldn't use his height advantage and looses in the jabbing, Bowe ha too much power for him as well and on the inside Vitali gets screwed
Theron is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #71
JohnH
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Bowe by KO 2nd round.
JohnH is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 10:56 AM   #72
nostir a
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 665

Quote:
Bowe (at his best), would have been able to institute the same gameplan that Lennox Lewis did somewhat sloppily, to perfection. That was his style. Vitali would have a very difficult time keeping Bowe off of his chest. Bowe would beat Klitschko like Lewis did, only look better doing it.
this, although bowe could box decently if he decieded to
nostir a is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #73
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theron View Post
Bowe decision, Vitali couldn't use his height advantage and looses in the jabbing, Bowe ha too much power for him as well and on the inside Vitali gets screwed
Bowe was getting outjabbed by Golota. Vitali has a similar thudding jab to Golota's, plus a considerable height advantage. I don't see what you're basing Bowe's chances on here.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 10:20 PM   #74
Absolutely!
Fabulous, darling!
ESB Addict

Quote:
The overhand right that Bowe throws works even better on tall opponents. Its easier to land. has Vitali ever faced a 6'5" guy that comes forward and throws bombs and does it pretty good? Why yes, it was Lennox Lewis... Bowe's game was exactly the fight that Lewis instituted against Vitali. Vitali doesnt have a good pumping jab that keeps fighters at bay either. Bowe would be up in his chest quicker than Lewis was, and then Vitali would fall apart.
This is a bit too simplistic a comparison I think.

Lennox was a much more educated fighter than Bowe. Always was. He had a better jab, a better command of distance, and just a much better understanding of the basics of the sport. Bowe was a high class brawler with a few useful tools. His jab was good but he had a very poor understanding of how to use it as a big man should. His feet were plodding, his defensive reflexes slow. A lot of the time he would just let fighters get into his chest then duke it out with them, trusting to his size, heart and chin to get the better of the exchanges. Being the bigger man, he usually did, but against fighters who were able to maintain their distance whilst lading their own shots or fight fire with fire he had trouble.

The sorts of things Lennox did to catch Vitali are not the sorts of things Bowe is likely to do, even the young version that fought Evander. Lennox caught Vitali because of his good timing, rhythm varying and quick step ins. Watch the beginning of round three of their fight. Lennox doesn't just plod forward, he leaps in behind a heavy jab, catching Vitali off balance, then cannons the right into his head. Bowe doesn't do that. He stalks you behind an inconsistent jab then starts brawling if you get into his chest. He's far more likely to fight an Arreola type fight, nowhere near as crude of course, but predictable and readable. If he can walk through Vit's best shots to get on the inside then he'll have success, especially if he can drag Vittles into a slugging match, but he can equally find himself getting kept at bay by Vitali's thudding jab and finding his overhands whiffing past as Vitali leans back out of range. An outside fight does not favour Bowe in any way.
Absolutely! is offline  Top
Old 01-13-2013, 10:27 PM   #75
Theron
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 773

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolutely! View Post
Bowe was getting outjabbed by Golota. Vitali has a similar thudding jab to Golota's, plus a considerable height advantage. I don't see what you're basing Bowe's chances on here.
This clearly say prime vs prime and clearly Bowe wasn't ''prime'' in the Golota fights i thought that was well known...
Bowes reflexes had diminished, he said it was the first time a guy could jab him at will including Lennox Lewis and his doctor said they couldnt believe how much he had diminished for being so young his life took a till on his skills. So he could have kept away if he wasnt a shell of what he was
Theron is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum