Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #1
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347
Default How to box an in and out fighter?

Had sparring today and my sparring partner has the tendency to come in and throw one punch and immediatly come out, well the problem is everytime I come in he backs up immediatly and it turns into a game of cat and mouse..... with maybe 6 punches in total being landed :/

So I was wondering should I chase them down or just let them come to me???
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2009, 01:27 AM   #2
GNARL
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: How to box an in and out fighter?

This matters largely on your fighting style. If you prefer to fight on the outside and catch him as he comes in or even fight closer but counter, you have to make him come to you. Do this many ways. Faking, body movement, footwork, there are many types of different ways to draw your opponent in. If you like being the aggressor/ pressure fighter, make sure you give him too much pressure to handle, cut the ring off, don't let him breathe for second and when you come in, come with strong combinations. You must not have any hesitation in your technique for this style to work. You have to truly believe in your punches. Also, your fighting preference should be partly based on your personality style. Extrovert, most aggressive, introvert, more defensive.
GNARL is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNARL View Post
This matters largely on your fighting style. If you prefer to fight on the outside and catch him as he comes in or even fight closer but counter, you have to make him come to you. Do this many ways. Faking, body movement, footwork, there are many types of different ways to draw your opponent in. If you like being the aggressor/ pressure fighter, make sure you give him too much pressure to handle, cut the ring off, don't let him breathe for second and when you come in, come with strong combinations. You must not have any hesitation in your technique for this style to work. You have to truly believe in your punches. Also, your fighting preference should be partly based on your personality style. Extrovert, most aggressive, introvert, more defensive.
Ahh I see, well my fighting style is a little of both. I'm faster than the guy and everytime he comes in he does throw the same thing *lead right hand, uppercut* but after that he runs, so maybe lure him in then corner him?
Old 11-17-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

If he does the same thing AND you're faster, it should not be a problem. Avoid his right hand and make him walk into something.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #5
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
If he does the same thing AND you're faster, it should not be a problem. Avoid his right hand and make him walk into something.
Well the first round he wasn't a problem, but 2nd round I lost my contact so not sure if that made a difference.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
scotchpieirnbru
Contender
ESB Senior Member

When i lose my contacts i cant see straight, it makes a big difference. One comes out i have different strengths in both eyes puts me off balance. May aswell take em both out.
scotchpieirnbru is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #7
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Cut off the ring, maintain pressure and punch in bunches. Make him fight 'your' fight, take him out of his depth and drown him with sheer punch output - if you can maintain it.

If he's repeatedly throwing the lead right, left uppercut, simply slip left, pivot away and come straight back at him with a right hand of your own, dig a left hook into his ribs and then continue to unleash hell!
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2009, 05:02 PM   #8
Jennifer Love Hewitt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by paloalto00 View Post
Had sparring today and my sparring partner has the tendency to come in and throw one punch and immediatly come out, well the problem is everytime I come in he backs up immediatly and it turns into a game of cat and mouse..... with maybe 6 punches in total being landed :/

So I was wondering should I chase them down or just let them come to me???
Here's how you beat him. You run from him. He will have to become the aggressor, which he probably won't like. Throw a jab at him, but throw it with no intention of hitting him. He will try to counter, but you have to be aware of this, because what you REALLY want to do is counter his counter! That's why you throw the first jab without trying to hit him, you just want to bait him into counter punching. Then you come over and hit him him once. After that either move away, or grab him and rough him up with some inside hits on the clinch. repeat the cycle. If your timing is oaky, it works every time against the these types.
Jennifer Love Hewitt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing