Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-16-2009, 10:21 PM   #1
mlg321

vCash: 1000
Default What general advice would you give to a beginner, looking back at it

I'm trying to get the basics down then start training with the head coach at my gym for amateur fights.

What would you tell me looking back at your own journey, wether it's 1 year + or 20 years+

Thanks!
mlg321 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2009, 06:17 AM   #2
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: What general advice would you give to a beginner, looking back at it

if i was starting again i would eat a better diet and take liquids properly.ithink i would have been able to train harder had i a better diet.
i used to hardly eat and didn't drink much during the day.
i would also do more roadwork and invest in a better gum-shield.
apart from that,all was good and i'd definitely do it all again
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #3
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Default Re: What general advice would you give to a beginner, looking back at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlg321 View Post
I'm trying to get the basics down then start training with the head coach at my gym for amateur fights.

What would you tell me looking back at your own journey, wether it's 1 year + or 20 years+

Thanks!
Ask why? Everything you do.... understand why you do it. If your coach can't explain he's a fraud.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2009, 03:32 PM   #4
Spman20999
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 702

The most important thing is putting the time into it. The more comfortable you are in the gym, the better you will do in a match. Also, don't be defensive when people give you constructive criticism, we all want to think we are the shit, but that doesn't make it true.

If you have a car and are able to drive, you should also check around for the best boxing gym to learn in. I know that none of the gyms in my city are great, but the best gym in the province is only a half hour drive away.

Don't EVER take an unofficial boxing match... I took a match with a bigger guy from work, we did it at a party, I got my ass kicked by someone with no knowledge of boxing. No refs to stop low blows or rabbit punches, I had bruises on the back of my neck, serves me right for acting like a moron and expecting a clean fight in someones backyard...

Learn from my horrible mistakes...
Spman20999 is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
Ask why? Everything you do.... understand why you do it. If your coach can't explain he's a fraud.
This is good advice. I wouldn't go so far as to say he/she's a fraud if they can't answer. But if they don't have the humility to research and/or ask someone who does know, then that's a problem.
amy is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spman20999 View Post
The most important thing is putting the time into it. The more comfortable you are in the gym, the better you will do in a match. Also, don't be defensive when people give you constructive criticism, we all want to think we are the shit, but that doesn't make it true.
Agreed! 100% Setting your ego aside and being coachable will put you lightyears ahead of almost every other guy in the gym.
amy is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #7
Bodi
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Simple answer - listen to the people in the know.

Far too many beginners think that they know better than seasoned fighters and coaches - these people rarely last more than 3 fights.
Bodi is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2009, 05:58 PM   #8
scotchpieirnbru
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodi View Post
Simple answer - listen to the people in the know.

Far too many beginners think that they know better than seasoned fighters and coaches - these people rarely last more than 3 fights.
These guys do my head in. I'll try and offer a little advice here and there and get attitude for it. This usually comes from someone with absolutly no fighting experiance.

My advice is eat well, lay off fizzy drinks at all costs and cut alchohol to an absolute minimum. You will be suprised how a few guinesses can affect your training.
scotchpieirnbru is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
20a87
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 3071

you can't half be a boxer
20a87 is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2009, 09:38 PM   #10
nastynas
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlg321 View Post

Thanks!
Trust your training. Dont think too much.
nastynas is offline  Top
Old 11-17-2009, 10:51 PM   #11
bez
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I got my ass kicked in a few backyard boxin matches too lol
Harder to move in the long grass at night time!
bez is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 12:25 AM   #12
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

Listen and dont half ass anything nobody wants to work with a 50 percenter.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 02:12 AM   #13
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotchpieirnbru View Post
These guys do my head in. I'll try and offer a little advice here and there and get attitude for it. This usually comes from someone with absolutly no fighting experiance.
Try being a girl and giving advice to a 18 year old boy who thinks he's a tough guy.
amy is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 06:14 AM   #14
AndrewFFC
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Footwork.

Half of boxing is footwork. Get that basic movement along with head movement and feints so they can move across a ring naturally.
AndrewFFC is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #15
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy View Post
This is good advice. I wouldn't go so far as to say he/she's a fraud if they can't answer.
They absolutely are Amy. From experience I tell you that.
brown bomber is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing