Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 AM   #16
MrSmall
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What general advice would you give to a beginner, looking back at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
They absolutely are Amy. From experience I tell you that.
I am hopefully going to start at Northside ABC this week or next, what do you think Jeff?
For some reason I thought you're based in Manchester.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2009, 09:45 AM   #17
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: What general advice would you give to a beginner, looking back at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall View Post
I am hopefully going to start at Northside ABC this week or next, what do you think Jeff?
For some reason I thought you're based in Manchester.
is that a manchester club ??
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 10:36 AM   #18
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
They absolutely are Amy. From experience I tell you that.
Fraud is a strong word. I outgrew my coach about a year and a half ago. He wasn't a fraud, just not an experienced coach. He was more of a teacher of the basics rather than a coach that should be taking actual athletes to the national level. He was good for that, and not equipped to take it to a higher level, but by no means a fraud.
amy is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #19
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy View Post
Fraud is a strong word. I outgrew my coach about a year and a half ago. He wasn't a fraud, just not an experienced coach. He was more of a teacher of the basics rather than a coach that should be taking actual athletes to the national level. He was good for that, and not equipped to take it to a higher level, but by no means a fraud.
Do you have a new coach now?
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #20
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

I think asking questions constantly would not go down well with my coach, especially if you just joined the gym. We have a large amount of people training, if everyone does that it gets messy. So basically the deal in our gym is shut up and listen, if you have questions you can ask them after training.

My advice to new people: listen to your coach, live healthy and work hard.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 10:58 AM   #21
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

I would agree with the above. Although im not very experienced i sorta came to the gym with mouth closed ears open approach my mate came a bit after with the opposite theory lol. I mean hes a lovely guy and im sure they didnt think less of him but it was a bit cringe worthy and i think i got more respect because of it.

Kinda off topic iv not been the gym for weeks cos of illness and injuries and other shit and reading the boards again im just itching to get back there tomorrow night cant wait
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #22
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Actually ill lead on from that. A piece of advice i would offer is be in it for the long haul. Never get put off your goals weather its due to poor performance or what other people say. Like i said iv had a crappy unproductive few weeks, so i can either jack it in altogether and be a looser, or go back tomorrow and work harder than ever before.

Like i said your in it for the long haul!
Old 11-18-2009, 11:04 AM   #23
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

I say interpret nay sayers and nasty attitudes as objectively as possible. they might be spirit crushers but its entirely up to you how you want to receive such gestures, more often than not there is useful criticism and realities in these kinds of people... regardless of emotional baggage.

Go past your comfort physical boundries as much as healthily possible. If you do not look like a buggered dog walking out of there be aware you didn't fight through your training session. You will know who you are when you know your boundries. Then Set constant challanges - Little short term goals, mediums term goals and if you like boxing then make an overall picture when the time is right.

Gyms are full of people willing to spurt out information, beware the credible sources and those with a bit of wind up them. Copy the pros, forget the nice guy who likes a yarn after a session. Copy the successful people and take note from their example.
When sparring you'll pick up the skills from practise and coaching but don't take a beating to heart, there are some defeats more triumphant than victories. If it gets too much, theres always tomorrow.

Basically use boxing as a way to make a champion out of you personally. don't worry about the world titles or hbo, that is something entirely differant. A fighter is a character trait, use the gym is a means to express that side of you.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 11:08 AM   #24
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
I say interpret nay sayers and nasty attitudes as objectively as possible. they might be spirit crushers but its entirely up to you how you want to receive such gestures, more often than not there is useful criticism and realities in these kinds of people... regardless of emotional baggage.

Go past your comfort physical boundries as much as healthily possible. If you do not look like a buggered dog walking out of there be aware you didn't fight through your training session. You will know who you are when you know your boundries. Then Set constant challanges - Little short term goals, mediums term goals and if you like boxing then make an overall picture when the time is right.

Gyms are full of people willing to spurt out information, beware the credible sources and those with a bit of wind up them. Copy the pros, forget the nice guy who likes a yarn after a session. Copy the successful people and take note from their example.
When sparring you'll pick up the skills from practise and coaching but don't take a beating to heart, there are some defeats more triumphant than victories. If it gets too much, theres always tomorrow.

Basically use boxing as a way to make a champion out of you personally. don't worry about the world titles or hbo, that is something entirely differant. A fighter is a character trait, use the gym is a means to express that side of you.
lol thats actually quite inspiring they should get you onto the next rocky script
Old 11-18-2009, 12:50 PM   #25
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Do you have a new coach now?
I'll email you the whole story.
amy is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 12:55 PM   #26
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I'll email you the whole story.
Good. Make sure you use the new e-mail address, I sold the old one for 100 euro's
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #27
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

the frisian one?
amy is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #28
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
the frisian one?
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #29
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

I'm somewhat of a beginner myself, but I'll just say don't rush anything. Skills come in time. I myself used to keep stressing when I couldn't do something, but just realized it just takes time.
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #30
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
If your a coach you should have the knowledge to physically train somebody correctly.

You should have the knowledge to correctly advise food intake.

You should know all of the fundamentals and how they fit in with one another.

You should know about muscle development through training.

You should know what it feels like to box or have an unusually creative imagination.

You should know about periodisation.

You should know about developing speed and power......

Nearly every trainer I have ever worked with knew **** all about most of these things. But they pretended they knew what they were talking about... Thats a fraud. Outgrowing a trainer who can only show you so much is one thing but EVERY trainer should know the fundamentals... if there not their a joke.
brown bomber is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing