boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-18-2009, 01:02 PM   #1
counterhook

vCash: 1000
Default loss of respect for floyd

I have a been a boxing fan for all of my life. I have also been a huge Mayweather fan since the day he took out my then-favorite boxer, El Diablo Manfredy, but lately I have been losing a lot of respect for the boxer I've supported for so long. Yes, PBF vs. PAC has to happen - not for the legacy of Pacquiao, but for Floyd. This fight can and will be a throwback to the golden age of boxing, the 80's. The thing about Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, and Duran, is that they all had mutual respect for one another. I now believe that this is why boxing pundits will always hold them in higher regards than PBF. PBF has time and again contradicted himself with his useless rants. I love him as a boxer, but his character and refusal to take the big fights will always put him in the second tier of all time greats. Pacquiao grew on me however because he fights anyone and seems to genuinely just fight for the entertainment for his country - not to win - but as in his words, "just to give a good fight to his fans." All I ask is, "do it for America!" It seems that PBF just sits back and lets all of the fighters he ducks, fight each other, so that he can protect his 0. And then he goes on and uses their losses to justify his so called "greatness." However, it isn't 0 losses that will ever define a legacy, it's putting everything on the line time and again to please the fans. PBF can wipe the floor with Pacquiao earning a flawless record, however it is Pacquiao that will always have the glory and respect of the fans. I loved Floyd, but now for me, that love turned to like. I can say now that I do love Pac and he has earned my respect.
counterhook is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Marnoff
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: loss of respect for floyd

I'm sure Floyd will be hurt to know that your "love" has become only "like". Err....
Marnoff is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
AdiC
Chillin' Like A Villain
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterhook View Post
I have a been a boxing fan for all of my life. I have also been a huge Mayweather fan since the day he took out my then-favorite boxer, El Diablo Manfredy, but lately I have been losing a lot of respect for the boxer I've supported for so long. Yes, PBF vs. PAC has to happen - not for the legacy of Pacquiao, but for Floyd. This fight can and will be a throwback to the golden age of boxing, the 80's. The thing about Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, and Duran, is that they all had mutual respect for one another. I now believe that this is why boxing pundits will always hold them in higher regards than PBF. PBF has time and again contradicted himself with his useless rants. I love him as a boxer, but his character and refusal to take the big fights will always put him in the second tier of all time greats. Pacquiao grew on me however because he fights anyone and seems to genuinely just fight for the entertainment for his country - not to win - but as in his words, "just to give a good fight to his fans." All I ask is, "do it for America!" It seems that PBF just sits back and lets all of the fighters he ducks, fight each other, so that he can protect his 0. And then he goes on and uses their losses to justify his so called "greatness." However, it isn't 0 losses that will ever define a legacy, it's putting everything on the line time and again to please the fans. PBF can wipe the floor with Pacquiao earning a flawless record, however it is Pacquiao that will always have the glory and respect of the fans. I loved Floyd, but now for me, that love turned to like. I can say now that I do love Pac and he has earned my respect.

Good post Noob!
AdiC is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
Jazzo
Non-Facebook Fag
ESB Addict

Floyd is a sweet child who can box well.

As long as the adults get him into the ring I'm OK with him.
Jazzo is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #5
killa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterhook View Post
Welcome to ESB. Your post is proof positive that just because you're new here doesn't necessarily guarantee you don't know what your talking about.

You've brought up all the points I have cited as far as not respecting Floyd as much as I used to. I do so on the basis of his attitude and not his skill/ability. He's so quick to proclaim how great he is but doesn't show the same fire as far as cementing it in the ring. He'll then disparage anyone who is considered a threat using the amount of losses they have and other senseless logic. This new attitude reared it's ugly head once he stepped up to welterweight. Saying so and so has lost before or been knocked out before but he has fought fighters with losses(DLH, Mitchell, Judah, Baldomir had all been stopped prior to fighting Mayweather) He has disparaged legends of the past like Ali, Duran, Ray Robinson, and Ray Leonard, but without the performances in the ring versus the elite of his division to warrant an argument of being considered in the same league as them accomplishment-wise.

His attitude over the past few years really sucks and is not the type of attitude needed to pursue the greatness which he has the ability to achieve.
killa is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 04:18 PM   #6
HEADBANGER
TEAM ELITE GENERAL
East Side Guru

good post.

**** you noob!
HEADBANGER is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #7
counterhook

thanks all. i think it's just sad cause floyd is so great. he could wipe out 99% of the fighters from lightweight to junior middleweight. i still do hope that he has a change of attitude cause he is a talent that you only see once every 25 years. cause come on, he could have been up there with the ray robinson's, ray leonard's, and ali's - and those guys to me are immortal regardless of their losses.
counterhook is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum