Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-20-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
Danny_Rand
Slick N Quick
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default If Andre Ward stays disciplined with his jab, he should beat Kessler easy

Both Perdomo and Calzaghe had no problem touching Kessler. He has virtually no upper body movement. He also telegraphs his punches, which makes it easier to dodge his 1-2 combination even though Kessler has good speed. You can see he does a little wiggle when he's about to throw. Once Calzaghe broke Kessler down with the jab, it was pretty much an ass whipping.

Perdomo was also having some success getting through Kesslers defense and dodging his shots, he's just a journeymen from Venezuela so the first time he got hit he was out.

If Ward maintains discipline and breaks up Kesslers rhthym with his jab, he should win this fight easy.
Danny_Rand is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Spunik
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: If Andre Ward stays disciplined with his jab, he should beat Kessler easy

Ward is better than Calzaghe so this fight won't even be close....
Spunik is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
mryeags
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: If Andre Ward stays disciplined with his jab, he should beat Kessler easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunik View Post
mryeags is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
Danny_Rand
Slick N Quick
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunik View Post
Calzaghe is faster then Ward. Better foot movement, and 20+ years experience which allows him to see punches before they happen. Which is why he is able to drop his hands against top class comp and still not get hit.

Ward however wont have to be as good as calzaghe to beat Kessler. Just execute for 12 rounds.
Old 11-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
SKULLSPLITTER
The CEO
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Rand View Post
Both Perdomo and Calzaghe had no problem touching Kessler. He has virtually no upper body movement. He also telegraphs his punches, which makes it easier to dodge his 1-2 combination even though Kessler has good speed. You can see he does a little wiggle when he's about to throw. Once Calzaghe broke Kessler down with the jab, it was pretty much an ass whipping.

Perdomo was also having some success getting through Kesslers defense and dodging his shots, he's just a journeymen from Venezuela so the first time he got hit he was out.

If Ward maintains discipline and breaks up Kesslers rhthym with his jab, he should win this fight easy.
Hello, Rand....aka "Louis The Bold" here...you're absolutely right...

This is such an easy pick...because it's plain as day who the overall better boxer is...in fact Ward SHOULD be the favorite...as I'll explain further down...

One thing before I do that...garbage fans wanna bring up "Experience at the Pro level"...lol...Brian Nielsen had "experience"....I watched some "experienced", 40-0 bum from South America get destroyed by an average fighter a few months back in his American showcase bout...

BULLSHIT Experience is what it is...

It's like this....

On one end here....you have a smart, athletically skilled, versatile, properly groomed, American Olympic Gold Medalist.....and on the other, you pretty much have another "High Level" guy on a Euro scale...

I'm not saying Ward's high on a Global scale yet...but 9 times out of 10, there's a big difference in Class between just a Top AMERICAN and a Top Euro (saying both are at or near their best)....that's just the way it was, the way it is, and the way it always will be....

Add in the fact that Kessler hasn't done a God Damn thing since LOSING to another Top EURO (follow me?) 2 years ago...throwing away his prime....and the gap in Class becomes even more apparent...

Then....watch Kessler's and Ward's last fights, and you can see exactly who was rusty, slow, and wide and who was in good form...and their leagues are a mile apart now......but there's MORE...lol

THEN, you add in the fact that the fight's in Oakland, America.....remember Froch-Dirrell?...OUCH!....there's no way Kessler's gonna outbox or outadapt Ward....but there will be payback if necessary....all close decisions WILL go to Ward...so basically, the only way Kessler can win is if he stops Ward.....

but like I've said before...HERE'S the REAL kicker....

Ward's Pedigree and Boxing IQ won't allow him to get stopped...

Ward by Unanimous Decision...117-111.
SKULLSPLITTER is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2009, 11:52 AM   #6
o_money
Champion
East Side Guru

I think a lot of people are rating Ward high then he should be rated in this fight because they are being swayed by hope that a US based fighter will win a fight in the first round of the tournament. When Kessler met Calzaghe he put on a performance that would indicate that he has the potential to be a top p4p fighter. Ward has this potential as well but at this point in his career I think he isn't even close to being ready for this kinda fighter. I've been very critical of his and Dirrell's development and I don't think either of these guys are ready for this tournament. Ward is more ready then Dirrell (and he isn't half the bitch). He really stepped to the plate against Miranda but that was a different level of fighter. It will be disaster for the tournament if Ward gets his ass beat real bad. I hope he can pull of the upset and blow this tournament wide open. But its a tough ask and I don't think he's ready for it.
o_money is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
THN
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 908

Well Kessler met Perdomo nr. 30 in the world. Ward met Pudwill nr. 230 in the world, do you see the difference?
THN is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 41998

Easy

Fight of Andre's life, w/l/d.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2009, 12:00 PM   #9
Danny_Rand
Slick N Quick
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_money View Post
When Kessler met Calzaghe he put on a performance that would indicate that he has the potential to be a top p4p fighter.
That just proves you never saw the fight. Kessler got his ass kicked. He won 2 rounds. Maybe 3 if you give him the 12th based on desperation.

Even the 2 rounds he won were basically him and Calzage going tit for tat. Calzaghe basically jabbed him up in round 5, then proceeded to beat him up for the next 6. Kesslers left eye looked like that because of all the right hands Slap landed on him.

I think you need to either rewatch the fight, or reexamine what you consider good performances. Hatton was more competitve against Mayweather to give you an example.

Quote:
I've been very critical of his and Dirrell's development and I don't think either of these guys are ready for this tournament. Ward is more ready then Dirrell (and he isn't half the bitch).
Dirrell should have beaten Froch if not for blatant home town robbery. Both were brought up fine. Wards 25, Dirrells 27. Its time to step up to the plate. Most American fighters start far earlier, they arent potected like other nationalites fighters.

And I fail to see how Dirrells a bitch?
Old 11-20-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

There is no power in Andre's jab, it is just a fast moving hand, nothing more.

Kessler will have zero trouble defending against this predictable shot, Ward doesn't feint his shots ever, Calzaghe did.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2009, 12:03 PM   #11
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe View Post

Kessler will have zero trouble defending against this predictable shot, Ward doesn't feint his shots ever, Calzaghe did.
CHJ.

I just dug back to see when you started posting again, and it appears you never actually stopped. Perhaps it is the lack of avatar that caused me to miss your contributions...once upon a time you brought an eye-catching color palette.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #12
Danny_Rand
Slick N Quick
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe View Post

The jabs not meant to have power but to break up the other fighters rhythm and to get them thinking. Calzaghe basically flicked a little punch out there but is was enough to completely throw off Kesslers entire offense.

Also take into account that Kessler had a inch hieght and 2 inch reach advantage. Ward and Kessler are even on all categories.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #13
randeris
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1446

I will bump this thread on november 21st.
randeris is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #14
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Rand View Post
The jabs not meant to have power but to break up the other fighters rhythm and to get them thinking. Calzaghe basically flicked a little punch out there but is was enough to completely throw off Kesslers entire offense.

Also take into account that Kessler had a inch hieght and 2 inch reach advantage. Ward and Kessler are even on all categories.

Come on Danny. You know boxing. An effective jab, to get somebody thinking, needs to serve as a deterrent. It needs to sting. It doesn't have to be like a swing of a 2x4, but it needs to earn respect to be effective. Kessler will most likely not respect Ward's jab.

The issue with Calzaghe that threw off Kessler's offense ("spoiled my boxing", as Kessler put it) was his awkward angles. Ward is slick but he's not a throw-the-textbook-out-the-window type. He puts his pants on one leg at a time like Kessler and learned from the same textbook. He's just fast. That's his only significant edge.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:08 PM   #15
Lacyace
Forever Knight
ESB Addict

vCash: 200

I don't think he'll win easy, but Ward should get it done. Kessler is not incapable of being out-boxed.
Lacyace is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum