Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Sandy Saddler vs Hank Armstrong......

Rarely if ever seen this one.

What a matchup! Lots of exchanging and infighting.

How do you see it?
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-2009, 07:31 AM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: Sandy Saddler vs Hank Armstrong......

We just mentioned this one in my head to head thread!

I favour Armstrong on points with even 15 rounds not enough to seperate them to our satisfaction.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #3
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post

I favour Armstrong on points with even 15 rounds not enough to seperate them to our satisfaction.
Sorry, that's what gave me the idea it deserved an entire thread devoted to it
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #4
sugarsean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1057

Quote:

yeah I favour Armstrong too but like I said on the other thread Saddler is one of the hardest men to beat so it a pick em fight.
sugarsean is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2009, 09:11 AM   #5
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Armstrong would make Saddler mighty uncomfortable & grind him down in a brutal fight, the styles suit Armstrong more I feel.

I think Pep stands a better chance of outboxing Hank stylewise TBH, I might actually lean that way in a FWT bout.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

A lot of people will claim Saddler had the right mix of height, reach and power like a smaller, slower Thomas Hearns, but with the added advantages of inside strength and an iron jaw. Saddler did possess all this, and the people who reckon he had what it took to maim Armstrong may be right - but I disagree.

Probably a product of subconscious, people seem to think Saddler would hold the intellectual superiority, but Armstrong was smart - he could counter punch well, avoiding a shot to put himself in position and land two of his own.

Now there is only one direction Armstrong headed, and that was forward - Saddler was pushed back in his career, but I can't ever recall Armstrong being physically overpowered, even against bigger challengers. Saddler may have been able to suffocate and claw away at contenders or potential champions, but trying to contain Armstrong, especially at featherweight, was like attempting to put out a raging fire with a water pistol.

That's the key factor here actually - featherweight. Or anything around that poundage - Armstrong was not quite human. 1937 - 27-0, 26 knockouts. He wasn't just winning, he was smashing the house up, more so at that time than the version we usually see on film, whose punches admittedly looking fairly light. Not that he wasn't still smashing everyone up of course, but there were a few who went the distance as Armstrong put on a bit of weight, and coincidentally these are the ones on film.

At featherweight, it was pure hell to even try to withstand the fanaticism of his attack.

Saddler could hold and hit Willie Pep, but it's not the same. It's as simple as this, to me; Armstrong would be too much for him. The reality is that Saddler wouldn't have the physical advantages, because despite being strong for his build and a very hard puncher, he wasn't a good enough boxer to work his way around Armstrong. Which means he'd have to deal with him at mid to close range, and that would be murder.

How could he even hope to cope with a man who, at that distance, is stronger, quicker, has more torque in his hooks and uppercuts, uses his head, and who throws a hundred punches in every round?

I'm confident in Armstrong's chin holding up. It may very well be one of the very best in history.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

I agree with lots of that good post Manassa, but you make it sound...easy for the little man...is that how you feel about it?
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2009, 09:25 AM   #8
Manassa
-
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
I agree with lots of that good post Manassa, but you make it sound...easy for the little man...is that how you feel about it?
Nah. Fight of the Decade. Armstrong, bleeding, batters Saddler over fifteen rounds who's holding on by the end. 10-5.
Manassa is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I actually like Saddler in this one. I think it would be an absolute war on the inside but Saddler had massive power in his left hook/uppercut to the body and head on the inside I doubt any feather could take them without dropping his work rate, even Armstrong. He has a lot of reach too and a good jab I think he'll get the better of the rough housing as well. Probably go the distance but I'd favour Saddler in a close one.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
JimmyShimmy
1050 psi
ESB Full Member

It's not the knockout, it's the fact Saddler may make Hank's face swell up tremendously.
JimmyShimmy is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2009, 06:32 PM   #11
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

I remember in the other thread, someone said he thought Saddler's inside clinching/spoiling would foil Armstrong's workrate and technical skill. I actually see it as the other way around. I think Armstrong could pick off Saddler's uppercuts, stop him from effectively tying him up, and catch him with over-the-top right hands. Saddler tended to stand straight up inside and could potentially be outworked/outskilled by a low crouching pressure fighter. For example, look at his fight with Charley Riley, and how Riley more than held his own through the first few rounds on the inside with Saddler, and eventually convinced Saddler to change his style and box from the outside.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2009, 06:40 PM   #12
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotauro View Post
I actually like Saddler in this one. I think it would be an absolute war on the inside but Saddler had massive power in his left hook/uppercut to the body and head on the inside I doubt any feather could take them without dropping his work rate, even Armstrong.
So did Ceferino Garcia though, and that was all the way up at welter and middle. Armstrong was able to foil him twice by picking off his uppercuts and countering over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyShimmy View Post
It's not the knockout, it's the fact Saddler may make Hank's face swell up tremendously.
But was Hank prone to cuts/swelling while still a FW? Or did that only start later on, after cumulative damage from his wars at LW and WW?
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
So did Ceferino Garcia though, and that was all the way up at welter and middle. Armstrong was able to foil him twice by picking off his uppercuts and countering over the top.
You'd have to rate Saddler as both sneakier and crisper though...still, it's an interesting point and it might be one of the areas where the fight is decided. I like seeing guys try to solve each-other, especially in a really violent confrontation. Adaption and counter-adapation.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2009, 07:46 AM   #14
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
True but Saddler throws his with more vemon and he would holding and hitting plus sneaking in an elbow or two of good measure which makes them more difficult to counter. Also while both are great at this weight Saddler is more proven at feather and only lost over 15 once. I think an argument can be made either way I'd just lean towards Sandy.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #15
JimmyShimmy
1050 psi
ESB Full Member

Quote:
But was Hank prone to cuts/swelling while still a FW? Or did that only start later on, after cumulative damage from his wars at LW and WW?
An interesting point, but I was more going off the reasoning of Saddler being a notorious face-shredder.
JimmyShimmy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum