Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #1
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 7766
Default Just watched the Pavlik/Taylor fight again...A few thoughts.

Taylor still has flaws galore that it's not even funny. It's really amazing how he has gone this far despite his incredible flaws. Well, actually i know how. He's a big MW with good athletic talent and power and he stays busy which impresses the judges. But in terms of flaws, he's got a bunch. His footwork is very bad. They don't allow him to move in and out of spots. They don't allow him to get out of the way. He just doesn't use his feet to do anything. He keeps his hands low like he's RJJ. He can't get out of punches and make people miss. He still throws that right hand with a **** back motion and telegraphs it. I don't know what Emanuel Steward is doing but it's not showing in the ring. I think it's Taylor's inability to apply what he is taught rather than Steward regressing as a coach.

I will also have to say that Pavlik looked better to me the second time around and that's even before his 7 round KO. His hands are a bit faster than i expected. His jab was reaching Taylor consistently. The guy could really do some great things at MW if he decides to stay.
klion22 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Just watched the Pavlik/Taylor fight again...A few thoughts.

From a technical standpoint JT needs to learn how to fight in the center of the ring and keep his opponents there ..I don't know not one opponenet that couldn't walk him down ..
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

I agree with Taylor keeping his hands way too low. He doesn't have the reflexes to get away with it like RJJ or Floyd. And after a fight like this at 29, he's not going to get much faster.

Its beyond me why he kept backing into the ropes. I just don't understand. He is damn lucky Winky isn't a power puncher because he would have been iced last summer.

Funny thing is that the right hand which led to his demise was landed in the middle of the ring.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Imperial1
P4P King
East Side VIP

If Winky had Pavlik's power we would of never had the PavLIK Taylor match .
Imperial1 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #5
Ziggy Montana
The Butcher
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by klion22
Taylor still has flaws galore that it's not even funny. It's really amazing how he has gone this far despite his incredible flaws. Well, actually i know how. He's a big MW with good athletic talent and power and he stays busy which impresses the judges. But in terms of flaws, he's got a bunch. His footwork is very bad. They don't allow him to move in and out of spots. They don't allow him to get out of the way. He just doesn't use his feet to do anything. He keeps his hands low like he's RJJ. He can't get out of punches and make people miss. He still throws that right hand with a **** back motion and telegraphs it.
klion22,

Taylor is indeed a great athlete but not a great boxer. Notice also how he loses his orthodox stance after throwing his right hand (the **** back motion describes his technique accurately, btw). His face gets in front of his foot allowing his opponents to land at will.

Taylor also has this unique talent to somehow influence the judges to score the close rounds in his favor.
Ziggy Montana is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 12:13 PM   #6
marauder1999
Champion
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1293

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial1
If Winky had Pavlik's power we would of never had the PavLIK Taylor match .
If pigs could fly,,,,
marauder1999 is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by marauder1999
If pigs could fly,,,,
I was gonna say, if Winky had Pavlik's power he'd be the closest thing to unstoppable out there.
Rock0052 is online now  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 08:55 PM   #8
Jose FM
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klion22
Taylor still has flaws galore that it's not even funny. It's really amazing how he has gone this far despite his incredible flaws. Well, actually i know how. He's a big MW with good athletic talent and power and he stays busy which impresses the judges. But in terms of flaws, he's got a bunch. His footwork is very bad. They don't allow him to move in and out of spots. They don't allow him to get out of the way. He just doesn't use his feet to do anything. He keeps his hands low like he's RJJ. He can't get out of punches and make people miss. He still throws that right hand with a **** back motion and telegraphs it. I don't know what Emanuel Steward is doing but it's not showing in the ring. I think it's Taylor's inability to apply what he is taught rather than Steward regressing as a coach.

I will also have to say that Pavlik looked better to me the second time around and that's even before his 7 round KO. His hands are a bit faster than i expected. His jab was reaching Taylor consistently. The guy could really do some great things at MW if he decides to stay.
This is why DiBella kept him away from punchers cause eventually a puncher would catch him and drop him due to his mistakes in the ring. Honestly they are not new, theyve always been there, Pavlik just made him pay.
Jose FM is offline  Top
Old 10-04-2007, 08:58 PM   #9
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanJew
Uh-uh, and if Paulie Malignaggi had Roberto Durans power he would be destorying guys, and if Wladimir Klitshcko had Alis chin he would be unbeatable, and if Holyfield had never been injured he would be the greatest ever, and if Julian Jackson had had RJJs handspeed he could have been the greatest ever at 160.

FIghters work with what they have, what ifs are pointless
Agreed. I forgot to put one of these at the end of my original post:
Rock0052 is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum