Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #1
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: liftin 3 kettlebells in pa.usa
Posts: 2,184
vCash: 1000
Default Eder Jofre

Please fill me in on this Champion.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Eder Jofre

He was a great technician, very savvy and tough, quick on his feet, and could bang with both hands. He came out of relative obscurity in the early '60s to unify the vacant bantam title. He made a string of defenses against top bantams of his day, and was touted by those who followed the lower weight classes as possibly the best P4P fighter of the day (better even than Liston and Clay). However, a combination of weight making and ex-flyweight champ Fighting Harada's intense, non-stop attack style took the title from him in a big upset. He was outhustled again in a rematch with Harada, and it looked like he might retire. However, he made a comeback sometime after that and put together a string of wins over several years that earned him a shot at feather champ Jose Legra. Jofre, who was now in his late '30s, scored a big surprise when he took the title on a close decision from Legra. After that, he fought a long overdue "superfight" with ex-FW champ Vicente Saldivar, a fight that was supposed to have happened several years earlier if Jofre had gotten by Harada. Jofre scored one of his last great performances by blasting out Saldivar in 4 rounds. Jofre never defended his title after that, was eventually stripped, and retired for good after a few more non-title wins. The two close losses to Harada were the only losses of his career.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: liftin 3 kettlebells in pa.usa
Posts: 2,184
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Eder Jofre

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
He was a great technician, very savvy and tough, quick on his feet, and could bang with both hands. He came out of relative obscurity in the early '60s to unify the vacant bantam title. He made a string of defenses against top bantams of his day, and was touted by those who followed the lower weight classes as possibly the best P4P fighter of the day (better even than Liston and Clay). However, a combination of weight making and ex-flyweight champ Fighting Harada's intense, non-stop attack style took the title from him in a big upset. He was outhustled again in a rematch with Harada, and it looked like he might retire. However, he made a comeback sometime after that and put together a string of wins over several years that earned him a shot at feather champ Jose Legra. Jofre, who was now in his late '30s, scored a big surprise when he took the title on a close decision from Legra. After that, he fought a long overdue "superfight" with ex-FW champ Vicente Saldivar, a fight that was supposed to have happened several years earlier if Jofre had gotten by Harada. Jofre scored one of his last great performances by blasting out Saldivar in 4 rounds. Jofre never defended his title after that, was eventually stripped, and retired for good after a few more non-title wins. The two close losses to Harada were the only losses of his career.
Thanks for the info! much appreciated.
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #4
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,492
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Eder Jofre

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
He was a great technician, very savvy and tough, quick on his feet, and could bang with both hands. He came out of relative obscurity in the early '60s to unify the vacant bantam title. He made a string of defenses against top bantams of his day, and was touted by those who followed the lower weight classes as possibly the best P4P fighter of the day (better even than Liston and Clay). However, a combination of weight making and ex-flyweight champ Fighting Harada's intense, non-stop attack style took the title from him in a big upset. He was outhustled again in a rematch with Harada, and it looked like he might retire. However, he made a comeback sometime after that and put together a string of wins over several years that earned him a shot at feather champ Jose Legra. Jofre, who was now in his late '30s, scored a big surprise when he took the title on a close decision from Legra. After that, he fought a long overdue "superfight" with ex-FW champ Vicente Saldivar, a fight that was supposed to have happened several years earlier if Jofre had gotten by Harada. Jofre scored one of his last great performances by blasting out Saldivar in 4 rounds. Jofre never defended his title after that, was eventually stripped, and retired for good after a few more non-title wins. The two close losses to Harada were the only losses of his career.
Right on the button description. You could mention that he looked similar to Joe Louis stylewise. Arguable a Top20 fighter of all-time. Often overlooked I must say.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:34 AM   #5
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: ireland
Posts: 2,609
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Eder Jofre

he actually took the title off a neighbour of mine, johnny caldwell, who unfortunately just died recently of throat cancer
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #6
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: South Yorkshire
Posts: 1,397
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Eder Jofre

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmaff36 View Post
he actually took the title off a neighbour of mine, johnny caldwell, who unfortunately just died recently of throat cancer
I was really sad to hear that Caldwell had passed, it got distressingly little attention - even on an excellent forum like this. You almost never hear him mentioned amongst British world champions these days, and just like Howard Winstone and Ken Buchanan, he was extremely unfortunate that his fighting days coincided with those of arguably the greatest fighter of their respective decade(s).

M2S has summed it up nicely really. Jofre was just a master technician at every range who had and could do everything - Nat Fleischer described him as the mini Robinson, and he wasn't too far wrong. There are some who give him a hard time based on the two razor thin lossed to Harada - in Japan - who often gets pointed out as being the only other true great on Jofre's record. If, however, you consider that this is Harada we're talking about, in Harada's back yard when Jofre was knocking on in years and becoming very drained at the weight, and then take into consideration that Harada had to absorb extraordinary punishment in order to land his own blows, I wouldn't hold those two defeats against Jofre too much. Especially after he came out of retirement to win the featherweight title and end his career with over 50 KO wins and no KO defeats - a rare achievement in any era.

I know several people whose opinions I respect, none of who rate Jofre outside the all time top 25, with some going as far as to put him as high as #10. At bantamweight, only Manuel Ortiz and maybe Ruben Olivares have a fair argument to be ranked above him. But he's a number 1 for me, owing to his longevity and dominance.

And I still stay that Harada's two wins over him are better than any win of Pacquiao's career
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:14 PM   #7
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: Eder Jofre

Bob i got some footage want me to send some stuff out
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: liftin 3 kettlebells in pa.usa
Posts: 2,184
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Eder Jofre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
Bob i got some footage want me to send some stuff out
I would love that! Thanku
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #9
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 19,025
vCash: 836
Default Re: Eder Jofre

no problem
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:40 PM   #10
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 13,793
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Eder Jofre

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ungurean View Post
Please fill me in on this Champion.
The golden bantam was perhaps one of the best pound for pound boxers for his size, and one of the best pound for pound punchers for his size.

Jorfe had a smooth, but powerful style. He was an artist in the ring, could take a punch, and had speed.

Even Nat Fleischer who was known to be partial to fighters pre 1960 said Jofre was as good as any bantam he has ever seen!

If Eder had a draw back his life style ( he was a vegetarian ) hurt him a bit, and he could over comit a tad to his punches. Jofre had trouble making weight for both Harda fights. Harda won both of them, and might have exposed a stylistic flaw in Jorfe.

I think the great boxer -punchers like Jorfe always have trouble with the super durable great swarmers. Super durable great swarmers are extremely rare.

I rate Jorfe #1 at Bantam.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013