Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-23-2009, 02:55 PM   #16
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000
Default Re: If Paquiao KOs Mayweather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
...And possibly stop him dead. Manny cannot expect to find success in standing in front of Mayweather as he did against Miguel Cotto.

Pac has shown an almost predatory inclination to toy with opponents by beating them at their own game. It's not enough to tattoo their faces, he needs to put his mark on their confidence in the form of a territorial piss-stain.

His ill-advised standing and trading with Cotto was, IMO, a strategic boon that helped advance Miguel's mental deterioration. Pac was probably hoping that the "fight or flight" response in his prey would lead to a slugfest that he, with he and Roach's confidence in his absolutely unreal chin, would be sure to win. Instead Cotto opted for the comfortable embrace of "flight", and this delay in plans clearly annoyed Pacquiao. So he hit him even harder whenever he got the chance.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
absolutely unreal chin
Overstatement in my judgment. He didn't take the solid shots that Margarito absorbed in '07, and he's been hurt before and stopped before. So-called granite chins have been smashed in the past by shots they just didn't see, like Kalambay against Nunn for instance. I'm not necessarily picking Floyd by knockout, but I see him landing enough solid, hard counters to not only get Manny's respect, but perhaps hurt him, perhaps knock him down.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #18
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 10000

Quote:
Overstatement in my judgment. He didn't take the solid shots that Margarito absorbed in '07, and he's been hurt before and stopped before. So-called granite chins have been smashed in the past by shots they just didn't see, like Kalambay against Nunn for instance. I'm not necessarily picking Floyd by knockout, but I see him landing enough solid, hard counters to not only get Manny's respect, but perhaps hurt him, perhaps knock him down.
My understanding is Pac's early career stoppages were the result of damage to the body (which was still young and spindly at the time).

When we've seen him hurt by headshots (would you be referring to the two JMM fights?) it's been a brief moment of stun from which he recovers with disturbing quickness. There's also the somewhat controversial consideration of weight gain improving one's resistance. I'll take this as a segue opportunity to plug this thread and invite you to weigh in on the subject: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #19
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
My understanding is Pac's early career stoppages were the result of damage to the body (which was still young and spindly at the time).

When we've seen him hurt by headshots (would you be referring to the two JMM fights?) it's been a brief moment of stun from which he recovers with disturbing quickness. There's also the somewhat controversial consideration of weight gain improving one's resistance. I'll take this as a segue opportunity to plug this thread and invite you to weigh in on the subject: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Absolutely, I don't even know why I bothered to mention the stoppages. Totally irrelevant now that Manny has filled out and matured.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 PM   #20
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Absolutely, I don't even know why I bothered to mention the stoppages. Totally irrelevant now that Manny has filled out and matured.
He looked on queer street to me at the very end of the 2nd round of the 2nd Marquez fight when JMM got him with that overhand right/left uppercut just as the bell rang.

Still, his punch resistance looked ok against Cotto.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 03:52 PM   #21
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Quote:

There was a thread a while back documenting the Rustico Torrecampo knockout loss and a slow-motion appears to show the shot actually landing on his chin. He was also knocked down heavily against Nedal Hussein via a jab and given a long-count, although these were at 112 & 122 respectively and therefore now completely irrelevant.

He did seem a little stunned by a couple of Cotto's counters on occasion, but I don't blame him given he was piling on the pressure and was caught by left-hooks from a power-punching naturally left handed fully-fledged 147lber. And he was stunned for literally about a second it seemed and then carried on piling the pressure on.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #22
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

I regard Mayweather`s ability as among the best ever, if Pacquiao could beat him, Id place him in the top 10... you have to think where he started, the fighters he`s beat & his ability to move up the weights.

He wouldnt even have to KO Mayweather to crack my top 10, a points win without contraversy would be enough for me.

I wouldnt mind anyone having him outside the their top 10 but if anyone argued it, they would need a slap.... what does a boxer of today have to do these days if Pac couldnt crack it after a Mayweather win ?... seriously.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 05:04 PM   #23
Gesta
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 300

At least top ten.
Gesta is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #24
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Yeah, i would love Pacquiao to get it done too.

Don't see it though.
We can all hope, can we not?
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 05:14 PM   #25
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Pacquiao has displayed a solid chin in the past couple of years although I can't help but to think back in the times when he was nearly knocked out by a jab:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPVr3qvvsAg[/ame]
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #26
Rock0052
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I'll leave it with this brief statement: Pac knocking out Mayweather might just be the most significant win of the past 25 years for me.
Rock0052 is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #27
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

top10
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #28
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
Pacquiao has displayed a solid chin in the past couple of years although I can't help but to think back in the times when he was nearly knocked out by a jab:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Its those freakin' calves, they're huge
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 06:11 PM   #29
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
You could use things like this to mark most fighters down though
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #30
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Top 25 maybe as high as something like 18.
Minotauro is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum