Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #1
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Jofre vs Gomez @ Featherweight

Never saw Jafre but grew up watching Gomez.
Who takes this?
robert ungurean is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2009, 12:41 AM   #2
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Jofre vs Gomez @ Featherweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert ungurean View Post
Never saw Jafre but grew up watching Gomez.
Check out this footage of him in his prime. Here's his first and second fights with big-punching contender Jose Medel:

BORKED
BORKED
BORKED
BORKED

BORKED

Personally, I think I would lean toward Jofre in a match with Gomez. Gomez tended to get careless in fights and his chin was somewhat suspect; and I don't think Jofre would be the standup target for Gomez's big punches that Zarate was. I think Jofre could wear out Gomez with inside pressure and perhaps stop him late.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 12:43 AM   #3
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

122 would be a better weight for the two to fight at, and would've been the ideal class for Jofre when he was having problems making the Bantamweight limit. That would be both fighters more or less at their peak. I honestly think it could go either way, but I'd be inclined to slightly favor Gomez due to his physical advantages.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 03:26 PM   #4
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

I think Jofre would be able to sharp shoot Gomez who was there to be hit and would KO him late in a war with Gomez leading early with his speed and power but Jofre would come back with well placed counters.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
I think Jofre would be able to sharp shoot Gomez who was there to be hit and would KO him late in a war with Gomez leading early with his speed and power but Jofre would come back with well placed counters.
Something like this. Jofre was a bit less hittable than Zarate, mainly due to his stance, and he was a bit more resilient for my money. He could sometimes trade too much, as he did on occasions against Medel, when it would've been better for him to use his brain a bit more and withdraw to a distance.

Top scrap though...
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
Something like this. Jofre was a bit less hittable than Zarate, mainly due to his stance, and he was a bit more resilient for my money. He could sometimes trade too much, as he did on occasions against Medel, when it would've been better for him to use his brain a bit more and withdraw to a distance.

Top scrap though...
better boxer than Zarate IMO and tough as old boots
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 04:28 PM   #7
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think it's Gomez that is the better defensive fighter and more generally elusive of the two.Jofre has more of mike McCallum sort of defence, but with more correct glove placement
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

At 126, who knows?? It could go either way........ Neither Jofre or Gomez was at their best anywhere above 122 pounds...............

BUT! While I thought Gomez looked great at 126 against the limited LaPorte in 1984, I also saw how bad Gomez got his ass kicked by Azumah Nelson to cap off the year....... And the 130 lb. title win over Lockridge in 1985 was a political decision that favored Gomez........

At 122, I pick Gomez.............. At 126, who knows???

Eddie Jofre was at his best really at 118 pounds........ 122 was still a good weight for the lean Jofre, but we'll never know WTF would've happened there............

Greats like Gomez and Jofre seemingly became human at 126 pounds.........

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #9
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
At 126, who knows?? It could go either way........ Neither Jofre or Gomez was at their best anywhere above 122 pounds...............

BUT! While I thought Gomez looked great at 126 against the limited LaPorte in 1984, I also saw how bad Gomez got his ass kicked by Azumah Nelson to cap off the year....... And the 130 lb. title win over Lockridge in 1985 was a political decision that favored Gomez........

At 122, I pick Gomez.............. At 126, who knows???

Eddie Jofre was at his best really at 118 pounds........ 122 was still a good weight for the lean Jofre, but we'll never know WTF would've happened there............

Greats like Gomez and Jofre seemingly became human at 126 pounds.........
MR.BILL
Jofre actually never lost at featherweight. He was obviously older, but managed to beat several good contenders, a decent champion in Jose Legra and a past prime great in Saldivar, though the last win doesn't mean too much. He was knackered at 118 from making the weight, and the subsequent move up to 126 reinvigorated him if anything, even though he was past his physical prime. 122 would have been perfect for him if you ask me.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 11-23-2009, 10:49 PM   #10
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
Jofre actually never lost at featherweight. He was obviously older, but managed to beat several good contenders, a decent champion in Jose Legra and a past prime great in Saldivar, though the last win doesn't mean too much. He was knackered at 118 from making the weight, and the subsequent move up to 126 reinvigorated him if anything, even though he was past his physical prime. 122 would have been perfect for him if you ask me.
I'll buy that...

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum