[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_05qJTeNNI&feature=related[/ame]
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 01:56 AM   #3
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Opinions on Virgil Hill

I view him like most people seem to: a good fighter who fell short of true greatness.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2009, 03:55 AM   #4
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

I havenīt seen that many fights of him, actually only his fight with Jones, DM, Arslan and the two Maske fights. He was a very humble and nice guy when he was over here in Germany and very well liked due to this - we donīt like trashtalkers over here. As a olympic silver medalist - of the US team which also starred Meldrick Taylor and Pernell Whitaker - he was a very good technician with a fine jab, good ring general, fast hands and decent pop but not a puncher. He won his first title in his first title match but got upset by an old Tommy Hearns in his next fight. He then putted together a string of good wins until he won the vacated WBA title again. He defended it nine times before he faced Maske for an unification fight. When he beat Maske and unified two belts he was the best lhw in the world for a time. But then lost his belts to DM in his next fight and in the one after this he lost to Jones. But he wasnīt finished yet and went on to stack up some decent wins just to win a cw title against former and later champ Fabrizzio Tiozzo with a first round KO. Again he lost the belt in his next fight to Jean-Marc Mormeck. But he didnīt give up, he fought on , put together a string of wins again just to rematch Mormeck but he lost this one also. He still fought on and two years later he upset Valery Brudov to win the WBA cw title in impressive fashion. Then he had the rematch with Maske who came back after ten years to avenge his only loss. The fight was made at a catchweight of 190 pounds and was an impressive showing from Maske. Really impressive. In his next fight he lost his cw belt to Firat Arslan and then retired.

He really fell short of greatness. He was always one of the best in his division but had always better guys in front of him. He had very good longevity, was a 2-time lhw and 2-time cw champ and made alltogther 9 successful title defences. His best opponents were Bobby Czyz (win), Tommy Hearns (loss), Frank Tate (win), Fabrizio Tiozzo (2 wins), Henry Maske (1 win, 1 loss), Dariusz Michaelchwski (loss), Roy Jones Junior (loss), Jean-Marc-Mormeck (2 losses).
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #5
hhascup
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
I havenīt seen that many fights of him, actually only his fight with Jones, DM, Arslan and the two Maske fights. He was a very humble and nice guy when he was over here in Germany and very well liked due to this - we donīt like trashtalkers over here. As a olympic silver medalist - of the US team which also starred Meldrick Taylor and Pernell Whitaker - he was a very good technician with a fine jab, good ring general, fast hands and decent pop but not a puncher. He won his first title in his first title match but got upset by an old Tommy Hearns in his next fight. He then putted together a string of good wins until he won the vacated WBA title again. He defended it nine times before he faced Maske for an unification fight. When he beat Maske and unified two belts he was the best lhw in the world for a time. But then lost his belts to DM in his next fight and in the one after this he lost to Jones. But he wasnīt finished yet and went on to stack up some decent wins just to win a cw title against former and later champ Fabrizzio Tiozzo with a first round KO. Again he lost the belt in his next fight to Jean-Marc Mormeck. But he didnīt give up, he fought on , put together a string of wins again just to rematch Mormeck but he lost this one also. He still fought on and two years later he upset Valery Brudov to win the WBA cw title in impressive fashion. Then he had the rematch with Maske who came back after ten years to avenge his only loss. The fight was made at a catchweight of 190 pounds and was an impressive showing from Maske. Really impressive. In his next fight he lost his cw belt to Firat Arslan and then retired.

He really fell short of greatness. He was always one of the best in his division but had always better guys in front of him. He had very good longevity, was a 2-time lhw and 2-time cw champ and made alltogther 9 successful title defences. His best opponents were Bobby Czyz (win), Tommy Hearns (loss), Frank Tate (win), Fabrizio Tiozzo (2 wins), Henry Maske (1 win, 1 loss), Dariusz Michaelchwski (loss), Roy Jones Junior (loss), Jean-Marc-Mormeck (2 losses).

Very well put.

I see him at the Amateur shows in New Jersey from time to time. He even called me up a few weeks ago and I straightened out a problem he had with one of his young boxers. He then called back thanking me.

I ran the Finals of the New Jersey Diamond Glove Tournament on Friday, November 13th and for the JO's on Saturday, November 14th. He had a young boxer on the Saturday show and he and Bobby Czyz came, BUT not together. I was the Ring Announcer and I had the pleasure of introducing both of them.

If you count all his Championship bouts, he fought in over 300 Championship rounds, only Griffith fought in more in modern times, and he won his last title, the WBA World Cruiserweight Title, at the age of 42, as he became the 2nd oldest boxer (Foreman) ever to win a World Title.

Your 100% correct when you say he is a nice guy.
hhascup is offline  Top
Old 11-24-2009, 02:06 PM   #6
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

The first time I ever saw Virgil Hill fight was probably the most that I had ever been impressed by him. He scored a first round KO over top contender James Kinchen sometime in 1989. After that, his performances were not quite so stellar or exciting. Over the years, I witnessed his matches with such men as Frank Tate, David Vedder, Crawford Ashley and Thomas Hearns.. A very good fighter and one who is probably underrated to some degree. But, as most have already stated, he never quite ascended to the level of great.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 11-25-2009, 03:28 AM   #7
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhascup View Post
Very well put.

I see him at the Amateur shows in New Jersey from time to time. He even called me up a few weeks ago and I straightened out a problem he had with one of his young boxers. He then called back thanking me.

I ran the Finals of the New Jersey Diamond Glove Tournament on Friday, November 13th and for the JO's on Saturday, November 14th. He had a young boxer on the Saturday show and he and Bobby Czyz came, BUT not together. I was the Ring Announcer and I had the pleasure of introducing both of them.

If you count all his Championship bouts, he fought in over 300 Championship rounds, only Griffith fought in more in modern times, and he won his last title, the WBA World Cruiserweight Title, at the age of 42, as he became the 2nd oldest boxer (Foreman) ever to win a World Title.

Your 100% correct when you say he is a nice guy.
Yeah, he had quite a few championship rounds ^^

Thatīs why he is liked over here. Even casual sport fans know him over here. He is better known than Roy Jones Jr.
bodhi is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum