Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #31
Ischbaad
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvin Hagler vs Jake LaMotta at Middleweight

What an unbelievable fight this would be! I think that Hagler would win a decision, but LaMotta would give him fits.
Ischbaad is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #32
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
Bad stylistic matchup for Marvin. Jakes a pressure infighter. This is a close hard fought fight but Jake closes the gap. In a trilogy Marvin could take one but Jake is trouble for Marvin.
Interestly enough the incredible tactician Eddie Futch once said the best way to beat Hagler was to lead.

Others often said to make him lead, but Futch went the other way.

Pretty sure Futch was in Monroe's corner when he carved Marvin up in their first fight. Only loss where Marvin was ever busted up. Of course he won the trilogy.
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 10:46 PM   #33
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1 View Post
Interestly enough the incredible tactician Eddie Futch once said the best way to beat Hagler was to lead.

Others often said to make him lead, but Futch went the other way.

Pretty sure Futch was in Monroe's corner when he carved Marvin up in their first fight. Only loss where Marvin was ever busted up. Of course he won the trilogy.
The game plan depends on the fighter though. What works for fighter A may not work for fighter B.
BITCH ASS is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 10:58 PM   #34
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAPER View Post
The game plan depends on the fighter though. What works for fighter A may not work for fighter B.
What examples both ways would you put forth per Hagler the opponent?
Old 11-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #35
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxpdx View Post
I'll say Hagler by easy UD. However, I believe a peak form Hagler could KO LaMotta late.
Again?
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 11:07 PM   #36
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict

Quote:
What examples both ways would you put forth per Hagler the opponent?
Well it depends on your build, and your physical and mental attributes, and of course your style.

Duran gave Hagler some problems because his skills and physical assets made him better on the inside against Hagler, so Hagler was forced to become more tenative and box.

But Robinson for instance, would not want to lead against Hagler (unless he was tryin to prove somethin), because he would want to catch Hagler coming in.

Lamotta, like Duran, is shorter in stature than Hagler, and especially with his style, I can see him possibly being more effective on the inside than Hagler.

This will cause Hagler some problems that he will more than likely need to adjust to.

But considering Lamotta has fought great boxers before, better boxers than Hagler, and still manged to force them to fight his fight at times, it is not neccessarily the best idea for Hagler to just let Lamotta lead because I'm not sure if Hagler's counterpunching ability is enough to hold Jake off.

In any event, given the two men's clash of styles, Hagler will be forced to fight, and I see this as being a very difficult fight for both men. I think Hagler has the edge in power, but Lamotta will be more effective on the inside.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:08 PM   #37
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Duran gave Hagler some problems because his skills and physical assets made him better on the inside against Hagler, so Hagler was forced to become more tenative and box.
Nah.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #38
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
Nah.
It's true, if Hagler bullied Duran, Duran would come up right under his punches and sting him on the inside. Duran had the defense to make a reckless Hagler pay. Hagler is no fool and knew that while he was the bigger man, he would have to use his size intelligently, and that entailed some boxing.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:40 AM   #39
mike_bngs
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Hagler would box rings round LaMotta, although LaMotta would always be in there with a chance with his chin and punching power. Hagler wouldn't bring anything that Lamotta hadnt already seen in Robinson. So probably a UD for Hagler if he chose to box Lamotta and not engage him in a *******.
mike_bngs is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 03:39 AM   #40
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_bngs View Post
Hagler would box rings round LaMotta, although LaMotta would always be in there with a chance with his chin and punching power. Hagler wouldn't bring anything that Lamotta hadnt already seen in Robinson. So probably a UD for Hagler if he chose to box Lamotta and not engage him in a *******.
30 KOs in 106 fights certainly show the tremendous punching power of LaMotta. He was certainly a heavy handed fighter but no puncher. Nobody ever boxed rings around LaMotta, and he fought better pure boxers than Hagler is.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 06:59 AM   #41
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

You couldn't be more wrong here.

Duran for once in his life was getting outdone on the inside. Well, hardly surprising considering where Duran had orginally come from and Hagler being a natural Middleweight. Size had to tell eventually.

Duran found himself outgunned on the inside so fought a decent but conservative fight from the outside. Hagler could have and i believe should have put more pressure on, particularly after his biggest round of the fight came from aggressiveness but he got home quite ok.

But yes, it was Duran who initiated an outside battle.

Hagler then let him.
Old 11-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #42
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

hagler by ud .tough fight but hagler is not going to be hurt by la motta and hagler has the ability to out-box lamotta and is able to mix it on the in-side too,
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #43
Dave's Top Ten
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Duran for once in his life was getting outdone on the inside. Well, hardly surprising considering where Duran had orginally come from and Hagler being a natural Middleweight. Size had to tell eventually.

Duran found himself outgunned on the inside so fought a decent but conservative fight from the outside. Hagler could have and i believe should have put more pressure on, particularly after his biggest round of the fight came from aggressiveness but he got home quite ok.

Hagler then let him.
spot on
Dave's Top Ten is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 12:46 PM   #44
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:

Hagler then let him.
This post is on the money!
When Hagler did land crsiply, more often than not Duran's marvellous head movement cushioned the effect of the punch.

Towards the latter stages ,Duran was "smoke and mirrors" and Hagler's tentativeness ,allowed this to prosper.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 04:03 PM   #45
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict

Quote:

Hagler then let him.
The only time I saw Hagler bein the aggressor was at the end of the fight, and he didn't land shit.

I don't know what you saw, but I saw a guy tryin to use his size advantage to seal the deal, but mostly just waistin energy.

Basically everything you said, is prusumptuous as if you feel like you're better than Hagler. "He should have put more pressure on."

He didn't put more pressure on for a reason, because in the begginging of the fight Duran was too quick and too good on the inside, and Hagler would have taken some shots he didn't need to take.

Throughout almost the entire duration of the fight, Duran was the aggressor, and it wasn't until the end when Hagler decided to use his size advantage against a weary Duran. Even then, I didn't see anything of much significance get through.

You might as well start off all of your statements, with, "You know if the sky was green, you would be totally wrong."

Last edited by BITCH ASS; 11-27-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum