Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #1
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

I may be in the minority, but I think Armstrong has a good chance at beating Mayweather.

Hatton managed to close the distance frequently with Hatton, but Hatton isn't much of a boxer and more a of a mugger.

Armstrong closed the distance, but used akward angles which made him difficult to land on cleanly, and delivered plenty of punishment up close.

Mayweather would be forced to fight as he wouldn't be able to simply keep a guy like Armstrong on the end of his jab for the duration of the fight, and Mayweather's lack of power will not be much of a deterent.

Sure Mayweather was incredibly effective agianst Hatton on the inside, but Hatton's gameplan is to wrestle his opponent when he gets inside and to hit and hold.

Armstrong didn't bother with holding and threw punch after punch after punch.

So what do ya'll think?

Last edited by BITCH ASS; 11-26-2009 at 11:12 PM.
BITCH ASS is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAPER View Post
I may be in the minority, but I think Armstrong has a good chance at beating Mayweather.
So do I; in fact, I would make Armstrong the favorite. He was great at cutting off the ring and as skilled as anyone at close quarters. I think Mayweather would be competitive with him at close quarters but Armstrong's aggression and workrate would lead him to a decision.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 03:34 AM   #3
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
I don´t think you are in the minority. There will be few guys who think Mayweather would beat Armstrong even at WW - well, moslty PowerPuncher

Armstrong just brings on too much heat for PBF. Look what Castillo did in the first fight. Mayweather had problem with that. Armstrong is 100 times the fighter Castillo is. Yeah, it´s at WW, you could argue it wasn´t Armstrong´s best weight but who has the record of title defences there? Yep, Armstrong and in an era that was deeper than Mayweather´s.
Also Armstrong has the style advantage. Mayweather has a shot because he really has some skills but with Armstrong´s workrate and Mayweather´s habbit of going into purely defensive, one punch a time mode when somebody brings on the heat makes it pretty obvious who would win imo.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 03:58 AM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Mayweather doesn't have the workrate or grit (not from what I've seen anyway) to compete with Armstront (admittedly lighter) at Welter.

Armstrong, decision.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 04:17 AM   #5
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:

Hatton managed to close the distance frequently with Hatton, but Hatton isn't much of a boxer and more a of a mugger.

Armstrong closed the distance, but used akward angles which made him difficult to land on cleanly, and delivered plenty of punishment up close.

Mayweather would be forced to fight as he wouldn't be able to simply keep a guy like Armstrong on the end of his jab for the duration of the fight, and Mayweather's lack of power will not be much of a deterent.

Sure Mayweather was incredibly effective agianst Hatton on the inside, but Hatton's gameplan is to wrestle his opponent when he gets inside and to hit and hold.

Armstrong didn't bother with holding and threw punch after punch after punch.

So what do ya'll think?
As far as resumes and ATG status Armstrong is clearly above FLoyd. Although on a HTH matchup this is a pretty even matchup,you mentioned Mayweather's lack of Power I think his power is very underrated, and he hits a hell of a lot harder than Barney Ross(although different styles) At Welter I think Im gonna take Floyd here at the Lower weights I think they are pretty evenly matched.
On my ATG list though Floyd has got to beat Pac and Mosley to even be talked about with "Hammerin Hank".
anarci is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 04:46 AM   #6
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Armstrong's sheer volume will force Floyd to spend too much time on defence. Floyd will have his moments and I can imagine him landing some clean shots but I can't see how he beats Armstrong. Floyd is a hard match up for anyone but Armstrong would win it 10-5
Ezzard is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 05:49 AM   #7
Shake
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mayweather will struggle to win rounds against Armstrong, I think.
Shake is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 05:54 AM   #8
Rise Above
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 210

Armstrong is the kind of fighter who would pose problems for Mayweather. His constant attack and workrate should see him win this.
Rise Above is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 06:00 AM   #9
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

It's hard to say for sure. I would favour Armstrong quite strongly, simply because he was more proven and greater and his style seems suited to outworking a defensive boxer such as Floyd. But ...... Mayweather seems to be one of those fighters that just does enough to win and in some of his closer fights he may well have been working well within his capabilities because he felt he could afford to , so maybe if the pressure was really on - where he couldn't afford to coast or "just do enough" - maybe then he'd produce something super-special.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
Rise Above
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
It's hard to say for sure. I would favour Armstrong quite strongly, simply because he was more proven and greater and his style seems suited to outworking a defensive boxer such as Floyd. But ...... Mayweather seems to be one of those fighters that just does enough to win and in some of his closer fights he may well have been working well within his capabilities because he felt he could afford to , so maybe if the pressure was really on - where he couldn't afford to coast or "just do enough" - maybe then he'd produce something super-special.
Good post. I feel we really havent seen the extent of what Mayweather is capable of.
Rise Above is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 06:29 AM   #11
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Armstrong is made to measure for Mayweather and would get neutralised and coutnered silly, on the inside Mayweather is actually better than Armstrong and would use the right elbow block counter uppercut to good effect. Mayweather has fought similar fighters in Chavez, Hatton and Castillo. Castillo and Hatton were both significantly bigger and stronger than Armstrong and when it comes to pressure fighters this is a significant advantage, because Armstrong wouldnt be able to push Mayweather around the same way, take his punch as easily or hurt him in the same way because hes weaker. Chavez had a similar workrate throwing 100punches round on round. None were quite as skilled but Armstrong presents nothing that Mayweather hasnt seen and hes never had such a size advantage over a pressure fighter as this match up presents

Now Mayweather is also the bigger stronger man, 4 inches taller with similar a reach advantage. Also he has massive speed and defensive advanatages. So he can hold his ground, pick Armstrong off from range, hurt Armstrong and start being more offensive than he usually is.

If this fight happened today Mayweather would be criticised for picking on a midget 130lber
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 06:38 AM   #12
PATSYS
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Anybody who thinks otherwise is in the minority and are idiots at that.

You only are talking about "good chance" and for a guy who is concensusly ranked the 2nd greatest P4P. Of couse he has a good chance of beating PBF.
PATSYS is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #13
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Armstrong is made to measure for Mayweather and would get neutralised and coutnered silly, on the inside Mayweather is actually better than Armstrong and would use the right elbow block counter uppercut to good effect. Mayweather has fought similar fighters in Chavez, Hatton and Castillo. Castillo and Hatton were both significantly bigger and stronger than Armstrong and when it comes to pressure fighters this is a significant advantage, because Armstrong wouldnt be able to push Mayweather around the same way, take his punch as easily or hurt him in the same way because hes weaker. Chavez had a similar workrate throwing 100punches round on round. None were quite as skilled but Armstrong presents nothing that Mayweather hasnt seen and hes never had such a size advantage over a pressure fighter as this match up presents

Now Mayweather is also the bigger stronger man, 4 inches taller with similar a reach advantage. Also he has massive speed and defensive advanatages. So he can hold his ground, pick Armstrong off from range, hurt Armstrong and start being more offensive than he usually is.

If this fight happened today Mayweather would be criticised for picking on a midget 130lber
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
I don´t think you are in the minority. There will be few guys who think Mayweather would beat Armstrong even at WW - well, moslty PowerPuncher
so predictable these nuthuggers
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 08:28 AM   #14
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

I pick Homicide Hank at any weight from 126 to 160!
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 08:30 AM   #15
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post

If you think any of the guys Mayweather has faced are in the league of Armstrong as a pressure fighter, I feel sorry for you.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum