Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-26-2009, 02:17 PM   #46
dezbeast
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Did anyone in history punch harder than David Tua ?

I hope you don't believe Quarry had more power than Lyle. Another thing, Lyle had an 89% KO rate leading into the Quarry fight. Not bad for someone with power that's "slightly above average".
dezbeast is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2009, 02:26 PM   #47
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezbeast View Post
I hope you don't believe Quarry had more power than Lyle. Another thing, Lyle had an 89% KO rate leading into the Quarry fight. Not bad for someone with power that's "slightly above average".
He never KO'd anyone that really impresses, certainly not in the league of Tua or even the Klit's. Look at his record.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #48
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big T View Post
If you say that because Tua knocked men Unconscious, then you would have to put Razor Ruddox over Tua. Hell Tua never knocked guy out that where out for 5-10 mins. Ask Dokes and Bonecrusher on that.
I'm not sure Ruiz ever woke up. Have you seen his fights since?
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 02:39 PM   #49
dezbeast
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
He never KO'd anyone that really impresses, certainly not in the league of Tua or even the Klit's. Look at his record.
Yeah I do believe that Tua generated significant more power than Lyle. But the idea that Lyle wasn't a big puncher is just not true.
dezbeast is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 02:46 PM   #50
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah I do believe that Tua generated significant more power than Lyle. But the idea that Lyle wasn't a big puncher is just not true.
It's all relative. Do I want to be hit by him? Hell, no. I met him years ago in Vegas and he still looked scary in his 50's. Nice guy, though.

I just don't think he's in the rarefied league of Tua or Shavers.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 02:54 PM   #51
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
And what fighters did he knock out that were any good?

It took him 6 rounds to knock out Shavers who by that point could hardly lift his arms he was so tired. Quarry just went right at Shavers and blasted him out in a round, if Lyle had serious power the chinny Shavers wouldn't of been able to see the 6th round with the amount of shots he was taking.

Lyles reputation as this fearsome puncher combined with the idea that he was the best of the 70's B level makes me laugh. Young, and Quarry both beat schooled him but don't get the credit they deserve. Especially Quarry.
The only fighter Lyle knocked out that was ANY good was Earnie Shavers, who wasn't exactly known for his durability. Knocking down a mentally destroyed George Foreman doesn't mean that he had top end power.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:13 PM   #52
dezbeast
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Since you haven't admited otherwise, I'm assuming you do believe Quarry punched harder than Lyle. If that's the case I have nothing else to say since you are clearly deeply routed in your beliefs.
dezbeast is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #53
Muchmoore

vCash:

Quote:
Since you haven't admited otherwise, I'm assuming you do believe Quarry punched harder than Lyle. If that's the case I have nothing else to say since you are clearly deeply routed in your beliefs.
Quarry is certainly a better puncher than Lyle. I challenge you to compare both of their fights with Shavers and say otherwise.
Old 11-26-2009, 03:19 PM   #54
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Quarry's KO victims are far more impressive than Lyle's. This is a very debatable contention.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #55
dezbeast
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I don't think it's a fair comparison because Quarry was an extremely accurate puncher. Many of his power shots were right on the mark. Lyle was much more hit and miss when he opted to slug.
dezbeast is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 05:15 PM   #56
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Minotauro: I am in agreement that Choynsky was a terrific hitter. Funny, if you like Joe you should be in awe of Sullivan for Joe said that Sullivan was a MUCH bigger hitter than he was. Pretty interesting.
Didn't know Choynsky said that impressive he felt Sullivan hit so much harder then he did. I'm more impressed with Choynsky p4p power since he was pretty much a super middleweight and had heavyweight power. I wouldn't put him up there with Tua and co raw power wise but he is probably even higher p4p power.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 07:01 PM   #57
Drew101
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 3930

Quote:
Originally Posted by john garfield View Post
I think Curtis "Hatchetman" Sheppard could punch a ton.
Guy stopped Joey Maxim in one, apparently with one punch...so yeah. Probably so
Drew101 is offline  Top
Old 11-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #58
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

It was reported in Adam's books on Corbett and Fitz ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 05:00 AM   #59
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Punch for punch, there is no way Wlad hits harder. Wlad may be a more effective puncher over an entire fight or more artful in his selection and combination of punches but not harder. Also, I don't think Big George threw harder, more concussive punches. His were thudding punches that sapped his opponents strength, crushing them. However, how many one punch KO's did he really have against top opposition? Shavers, sure. There's definitely an argument there. Tyson, though extremely powerful, relied a lot on hand speed and great combinations. I'm not sure I would take him over Tua in the one punch power department.
I dont mean to have a pop at you but your thoughts on Foreman and Tyson seem a little contradictory insofar as you mention Foremans lack of one-punch KOs yet Tyson fits this criteria perfectly and it doesnt get a mention. Now im not the biggest fan of Tyson but i'll give him this; I have never seen a heavyweight, with the exception of Louis, send a grown man flying across the ring backwards with 1 punch.
As for Foreman,regardless of the way he threw his shots, it worked for him and they had the desired effect. Tua's left-hook,for example, may have had more snap,speed and arguably look better, but the threads about harder punching. Having said that, its all about opinions
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 08:35 AM   #60
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

MuchMoore: Again, in Foreman's own words on many occassions, he called Lyle the hardest puncher he ever faced. I'll take his word over your anaylsis.
he grant is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum