Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #16
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
so predictable these nuthuggers
Predictable? I've stated Mayweather would beat Armstrong about 1000 times on this forum, all you are proving is you can read. Hes by far the most skilled of the 2
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2009, 09:01 AM   #17
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
If you think any of the guys Mayweather has faced are in the league of Armstrong as a pressure fighter, I feel sorry for you.
And if you think any of the guys Armstrongs faced are in Mayweather's league bar Robinson who carried Hank, then you're wrong
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:19 AM   #18
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

I love the fact PP thinks Jesus Chavez, Castillo and Hatton are a good gauge as to how he will deal with Armstrong
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #19
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
As far as resumes and ATG status Armstrong is clearly above FLoyd. Although on a HTH matchup this is a pretty even matchup,you mentioned Mayweather's lack of Power I think his power is very underrated, and he hits a hell of a lot harder than Barney Ross(although different styles) At Welter I think Im gonna take Floyd here at the Lower weights I think they are pretty evenly matched.
On my ATG list though Floyd has got to beat Pac and Mosley to even be talked about with "Hammerin Hank".
Mayweather is not a puncher. Period.

He threw everything in his arsenal at Gatti and couldn't even knock him down except with a cheap shot, beat N'Dou with right hand after right hand after right hand until N'Dou just didn't wanna continue, and was bouncing left right hook combinations off Marquez's head only to leave him a little scuffed up.

Mayweather certainly doesn't have the power to knock Armstrong out, nor the style to implement it.
BITCH ASS is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #20
BITCH ASS
"Too Fast"
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,722
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Armstrong is made to measure for Mayweather and would get neutralised and coutnered silly, on the inside Mayweather is actually better than Armstrong and would use the right elbow block counter uppercut to good effect. Mayweather has fought similar fighters in Chavez, Hatton and Castillo. Castillo and Hatton were both significantly bigger and stronger than Armstrong and when it comes to pressure fighters this is a significant advantage, because Armstrong wouldnt be able to push Mayweather around the same way, take his punch as easily or hurt him in the same way because hes weaker. Chavez had a similar workrate throwing 100punches round on round. None were quite as skilled but Armstrong presents nothing that Mayweather hasnt seen and hes never had such a size advantage over a pressure fighter as this match up presents

Now Mayweather is also the bigger stronger man, 4 inches taller with similar a reach advantage. Also he has massive speed and defensive advanatages. So he can hold his ground, pick Armstrong off from range, hurt Armstrong and start being more offensive than he usually is.

If this fight happened today Mayweather would be criticised for picking on a midget 130lber
I don't agree that Castillo, Chavez and Hatton are similar. They are schooled in the modern, get hit in the face style of pressure fighting.
BITCH ASS is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #21
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: South-East/Greater London.
Posts: 16,250
vCash: 1987
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

Armstrong's volume, work-rate and sheer determination would see him pick up a win here. I'd actually give Floyd a better chance at 130, where he's a bit more aggressive and lethal with his punches, and quicker on his fight and moving in and out. I don't think he'd be able to stand in the pocket and contain Armstrong's punch volume at '47. At 130 at least he'd be able to move around, though I still wouldn't bet on him winning.
TommyV is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:38 PM   #22
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
And if you think any of the guys Armstrongs faced are in Mayweather's league bar Robinson who carried Hank, then you're wrong
BARNEY ROSS not in Mayweather's league?
My2Sense is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #23
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
BARNEY ROSS not in Mayweather's league?
Ross couldnt punch his way out of a paper bag and put up a pathetic performance.
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #24
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 1337
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Ross couldnt punch his way out of a paper bag and put up a pathetic performance.
Ross would beat Mayweather 10 times out of 10.
bodhi is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:27 PM   #25
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
Ross would beat Mayweather 10 times out of 10.
Based on the fact Ross doesnt do 1 thing better than Mayweather
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #26
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: @ferociousflea
Posts: 39,853
vCash: 75
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Based on the fact Ross doesnt do 1 thing better than Mayweather
Based on the fact that Ross is the better fighter, clearly. Floyd wouldn't even face Ross anyway.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:42 PM   #27
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,971
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Ross couldnt punch his way out of a paper bag and put up a pathetic performance.
Which just shows how great Armstrong is. Who else ever reduced Ross to a pathetic state?

Ross still is an established ATG with a combined four wins over other established ATGs, plus wins over other quality fighters and HOFers, and only lost four times in over 80 fights. Nothing Armstrong did to him changes that.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:38 AM   #28
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Based on the fact that Ross is the better fighter, clearly. Floyd wouldn't even face Ross anyway.
I asked you to name 1 facet Ross does better than Floyd, u cant because Floyd is better in every way, lets see if theres anything Ross does better

Defense - no
Speed - no
Power - no
Timing - no
Stamina - no
Ability to not get your ass kicked by midgets - no
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:13 AM   #29
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,389
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

I think it would be a repeat of Montreal, Armstrong being Duran and suffocating Floyd for a UD.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:50 AM   #30
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: New York
Posts: 9,409
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Henry Armstrong vs Floyd Mayweather at Welter

Henry Armstrong's work rate and pressure too much for Floyd, Money has not proved he can hang with a fighter of Henry's class. HA UD 15 FM
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013