Old 11-27-2009, 06:02 PM   #46
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Marvin Hagler vs Jake LaMotta at Middleweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
I seen some trouble with an older blown up Duran on the inside, Jake was naturally bigger and stronger than Duran.
Sure, but Duran was more skilled. ****, he would beat Barkley five years later. The Duran that fought Hagler is still a handful for most MWs in history. And Hagler won a comfortable, but competitive, decision in my book. I think a similar outcome against LaMotta is likely.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2009, 06:04 PM   #47
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnThomas1 View Post
You couldn't be more wrong here.

Duran for once in his life was getting outdone on the inside. Well, hardly surprising considering where Duran had orginally come from and Hagler being a natural Middleweight. Size had to tell eventually.

Duran found himself outgunned on the inside so fought a decent but conservative fight from the outside. Hagler could have and i believe should have put more pressure on, particularly after his biggest round of the fight came from aggressiveness but he got home quite ok.

But yes, it was Duran who initiated an outside battle.

Hagler then let him.
Yep.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #48
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by REAPER View Post
The only time I saw Hagler bein the aggressor was at the end of the fight, and he didn't land ****.

I don't know what you saw, but I saw a guy tryin to use his size advantage to seal the deal, but mostly just waistin energy.

Basically everything you said, is prusumptuous as if you feel like you're better than Hagler. "He should have put more pressure on."

He didn't put more pressure on for a reason, because in the begginging of the fight Duran was too quick and too good on the inside, and Hagler would have taken some shots he didn't need to take.

Throughout almost the entire duration of the fight, Duran was the aggressor, and it wasn't until the end when Hagler decided to use his size advantage against a weary Duran. Even then, I didn't see anything of much significance get through.

You might as well start off all of your statements, with, "You know if the sky was green, you would be totally wrong."
I'm not going to answer all your post as i find most of your points a long way from the norm.

Watch round 6, Hagler takes over and pressured Duran and the commentator can clearly be heard saying Hagler had been dominating the inside exchanges.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yDhbA7_Y9g[/ame]
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #49
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave's Top Ten View Post
Dunno about that Bummy. Duran caused problems for Hagler because he chose to fight on the outside which Hagler (and most people) didn't expect. Actually Hagler's best moments came when he decided to forget trying to counter Duran and took it to the inside eg rounds 6,7,14,15. Not that I'm trying to compare LaMotta and Duran at middleweight. In most cases Hagler ate up fighters coming to him, Hamsho, Sibson for example.

I'm not disagreeing with you that it would be a tough battle, but I just don't think the styles make it tough for Hagler. It would be Lamotta that made it tough. If anything though it's his style that would play into Hagler's hands ultimately.
Hagler was one of my favorite fighters and people in boxing...I just see Jake as unique he had the busy hands and fought tough and fast on the inside and had a subtle defense. Jake was a strong middleweight and he knew how to put on pressure. Close fight yes but I dont see Hamsho or Sibson being close to Jake and Jake stayed strong as the fight went on. However you made some good points
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 11-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #50
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
As much as I think Hagler is a pile of **** amongst ATGs, I believe he could deal with an alcoholic leading with left hooks.
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2009, 05:05 AM   #51
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe View Post
As much as I think Hagler is a pile of **** amongst ATGs, I believe he could deal with an alcoholic leading with left hooks.
Yeah, Makelele would beat him easily as well.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #52
turpinr
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhi View Post
One of the greatest fights that could be made at mw. I think prime LaMotte would trouble Hagler bigtime. Hagler wouldn´t box Jake he would fight him and neither fighter will get KOed. 15 rounds of Hagler-Hearns I suppose with both fighters ruined at the end. Both are capable of winning this but Hagler should be the favourite.
i don't agree that hagler would fight jake.
i do think that hagler would out-point jake though.
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #53
The Morlocks
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Isn't LaMotta the oldest of all the former champions still alive? Is there one left who is older?
The Morlocks is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2009, 12:04 PM   #54
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

I`ve given my opinion on this matchup several times in the past and I can`t be ****d to do it again, I just want to add a big LOL!! to the folks who say Hagler by TKO/KO, what planet are you guys living on? We are matching each man at their respective peaks here, and neither man is stopping the other at each others best, not even on cuts imo.

I mean for ****s sake Jake rumbled with murderous punching guys like Satterfield, Marshall, Robinson, Murphy, Nardico, Raadik, etc... and was only ever floored once at the tail end of his career by big lightheavyweight Danny Nardico who if nothing else could punch like a mules kick. Hagler ain`t got the firepower to get Jakes respect let alone stop him in his tracks with a single shot, he simply does not have that kind of power. Hagler was a hurtful puncher, but far from a devastating one.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 11-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #55
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Morlocks View Post
Isn't LaMotta the oldest of all the former champions still alive? Is there one left who is older?
I believe he is the oldest. Jimmy Bivins is the oldest hall of famer.
TheGreatA is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum