Old 12-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #31
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836
Default Re: Cold blooded execution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin_Ribs View Post
The judgement of distance and perfection of timing are absolutely sick. His jab may not have quite had the same level of power as either Louis' or Arguello's, but it found the range and deceived an opponent in terms of disguising the right better than perhaps any I've seen. No matter how good your own defence was, that one-two seemed impossible to get out of the way of.

I could imagine most fighters charging after Benvenuti and jumping on him in a frenetic, untidy way if they had him in a similar situation of peril. But not Monzon. He just glides after him in that cold, emotionless way as if he has all the time in world.

It's as though Nino knew what was coming.
I really like Monzons style of punching he let his punches out slow and loose to start and they seemed to be arm punches that lacked snap. The he would start mixing in powerful shots that had plenty of snap especially his right hand then go back t the lazy shots again. Brilliant!
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 06:01 AM   #32
My dinner with Conteh
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

A great performance, especially coming in Italy. Although I agree that Nino was on a 'high' that year, he wasn't quite the fighter from 1967. He didn't seem to have enough guts for the battle any more.

ps. Monzon's task is even more magnificent when you think that Benvenuti was ahead on two cards at the time of the stoppage (if i remember correctly).
My dinner with Conteh is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #33
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

What a guy, what a legend. A cold man, i've read some fascinating stories but like Red Cobra was saying on my thread about Monzon, it'squite insane that he's never had a book written about him.
teeto is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #34
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red cobra View Post
Those '73 defenses, both rematches..against Bouttier and Griffith were both subpar performances (for him) because of the shooting incident.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
Joe and Arguello lack in the consistent pointscoring or "fencing" aspect of the jab i think.Range finding, disrupting and using it as a heavy offensive tool they are fine, but Monzon really could do it all with his jab.

It was occasionally slow or telegraphed looking, but he rarely ever threw it at the wrong time and got countered.
I agree. His jab was better overall and he scored more consistently with it and wielded better in general. But Louis and Arguello had a tiny bit more heavy force behind theirs, though they were more susceptible to being countered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wanderer View Post
Brutal end to a fight, reminds me of the Duran-Bizzarro KO a bit. If you just want to see the KO (and I wouldn't blame you if you do, because Bizzarro's style of running for this fight was not exactly a joy to watch) start off at about 6:13.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Keep in mind too that Bizzarro has basically been out on his feet since about 5:43 and gotten a standing 8 count and been KDed already in that same round. Totally helpless, didn't even know where he was, and Duran walks in and takes his head off.
I've not seen that for a while. Vicious as fook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
Yep, I've always thought that as well. I think we really only got to see the best of Monzon for the first 2 or 3 years of his title reign, before the shooting incident. His performances in the rematches with Griffith/Bouttier do not compare to his first fights with them.

It goes to show how great Monzon was that getting ****ing SHOT three times doesn't even get mentioned much when looking at his career. Consider how many fighters (and their fans) use every stupid little bitch thing as an excuse for their losses.
Too right. Not unlike Pep breaking his back and then being blaggarded for losing to Saddler afterwards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My dinner with Conteh View Post
A great performance, especially coming in Italy. Although I agree that Nino was on a 'high' that year, he wasn't quite the fighter from 1967. He didn't seem to have enough guts for the battle any more.

ps. Monzon's task is even more magnificent when you think that Benvenuti was ahead on two cards at the time of the stoppage (if i remember correctly).
I never knew that, but nothing surprises me any more.
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 08:46 AM   #35
teeto
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Location: Team Ireland Manor, Easing Pabuiao into the life of managing the GOAT

Monzon throwing oranges at people with real intent. That's what it's all about. Anyway it's time to go and watch the foozeball now. **** you MDWC (kidding), later
teeto is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #36
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeto View Post
Monzon throwing oranges at people with real intent. That's what it's all about. Anyway it's time to go and watch the foozeball now. **** you MDWC (kidding), later
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 11:01 AM   #37
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

You can always tell by the way a young challenger changes the guard. I knew Carlos was going to be great after seeing the highlights of that fight. The funny thing about Carlos is that he only put out so much in a fight. He took Naples serious and the results were impressive and that was an unheralded superfight for the boxing knowledgable. Also Rodrigo Valdez ( a talented boxer/puncher ) and Jean Claude Bouttier. After stopping Griffith in fight 1, in the rematch he did what he had to do to win and the rematch with Briscoe was impressive.
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #38
JohnThomas1
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
He took Naples serious and the results were impressive and that was an unheralded superfight for the boxing knowledgable.
Wasn't Napoles something like the P4P #1 in boxing?
JohnThomas1 is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 05:21 PM   #39
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Napoles had a spectacular reputation back in the years '69 thru '73..he was taken VERY seriously by the boxing writers and fans alike...one magazine had a photo spread featuring Napole's ability to snake fast, accurate and deadly shots though an opponents guard..as a sign that he was a gifted puncher with a wide arsenal of punches..he was favored by many..his trainer Angelo Dundee among them, to beat Monzon..to make Carlos look slow by comparison..Sports Illustrated (when it was a decent magazine) carried a great article on the fighton how controlled and majestic Monzon was in mastering Napoles. He never really went all out to ko Mantequilla, but was warming up to the task gradually, almost casually when the fight was stopped. Dundee hailed Monzon as a "super-champion", and indeed, when the boxing mags of the time rated the champions periodically, Monzon was usually considered #1.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-05-2009, 07:30 PM   #40
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

That ko of Nino by Monzon was so damned impressive to me and the boxing fan friends I had at the time...the word was "did you see that right?" There was no better right handed execution delivered by anyone than that one by Monzon...a cold blooded execution it surely was!
red cobra is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum