Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #1
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default How Great Do You Feel Dick Tiger Was? And is he Greater Than These 4 Fighters?

Is he Greater Than These 4 Fighters?
-Jose Napoles
-Roy Jones Jr
-Charley Burley
-Floyd Mayweather Jr

Tiger's Accomplishments
-2 Weight World Champion
-Only one of two fighters to win the undisputed Middleweight and Light Heavyweight Title(Other Being Bob Fitzsimmons)
-Posted wins over 4 Hall Of Fame Fighters.

Fighters Defeated
-Terry Downes
-Gene Armstrong
-Joey Giardello
-Spider Webb
-Florentino Fernandez
-Gene Fullmer
-Rubin Carter
-Jose Torres
-Roger Rouse
-Nino Benvanuti
cotto20 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Default Re: How Great Do You Feel Dick Tiger Was? And is he Greater Than These 4 Fighters?

I have him above Napoles and Mayweather, though I guess you can argue all of them for Tiger.
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: How Great Do You Feel Dick Tiger Was? And is he Greater Than These 4 Fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
I have him above Napoles and Mayweather, though I guess you can argue all of them for Tiger.
Interesting. Reasons for you think him being greater than Napoles and Mayweather?
cotto20 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #4
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I would have Napoles, Burely and Jones higher.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotauro View Post
I would have Napoles, Burely and Jones higher.
Reasons????
cotto20 is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

I have Floyd and Tiger pretty close from memory...but Dick is definitely ahead, I just think it might be only 4 or 5 spots.

They are all in my 35-55 bracket Im pretty sure...So you could almost interchange them really.

Im pretty sure I have Tiger behind Napoles, Burley and Jones.

But as I keep saying...these lists kill my head and I should really stop trying to remember mine because Id probably think its terrible now.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 12-06-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

On first glance I would rank him behind Napoles and Burley, about even with Jones and in front of Mayweather. Never made a list far enough to include Tiger, Jones and Mayweather though.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 04:15 AM   #8
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iran barkley View Post
Is he Greater Than These 4 Fighters?
-Jose Napoles
-Roy Jones Jr
-Charley Burley
-Floyd Mayweather Jr
I would say he's at least on par with any of those fighters, and his resume/achievements may be the most impressive of the bunch. I think coming back toward the end of his career and whupping Benvenuti like he did may give him the edge over any of these guys.

We still have to see what Mayweather does in the remainder of his career though.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 06:17 AM   #9
asero
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

he is just lucky he fought in a relatively weak era
asero is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #10
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by asero View Post
Old 12-07-2009, 06:23 AM   #11
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by asero View Post
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 06:36 AM   #12
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

I'd rate them all above him, he has some fantastic wins, but he never proved dominant above the fighters of his era. I would also say Burley has better wins, Jones imo has the greater 2 top wins, and all are more dominant. You could argue he has more defeats because he faced tougher opposition but I don't personally buy that
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 06:43 AM   #13
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
I'd rate them all above him, he has some fantastic wins, but he never proved dominant above the fighters of his era. I would also say Burley has better wins, Jones imo has the greater 2 top wins, and all are more dominant. You could argue he has more defeats because he faced tougher opposition but I don't personally buy that
Why dont you buy that?

Have you not seen the quality of fighter he lost to and have you not seen the fights in question.

Several were controversial and nearly all his losses in his prime at his prime weight were razor thin at the very least.

No fighter in history comes out of that era unscathed...it was just to strong and the publics hunger for the top fights usually meant you couldnt be picky about who you faced.

You can bet on it mate...If Roy or Hopkins fought in that era, once every couple of months against consistently quality opposition they wont have looked so dominant...they are definitely dropping a fight here and there.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:20 AM   #14
anarci
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
I agree with you and im very aware of Tigers resume who he beat and his career,level of comp etc.

What a Rock you had good points but overall Mayweather,Jones,Napoloes,Burley were all better fighters than Tiger simple as that.
anarci is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 07:32 AM   #15
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarci View Post
I agree with you and im very aware of Tigers resume who he beat and his career,level of comp etc.

What a Rock you had good points but overall Mayweather,Jones,Napoloes,Burley were all better fighters than Tiger simple as that.
And thats why I said I have them higher then Tiger anarci..besides Floyd who I only have slightly behind.

But I cant agree with PP rubbishing Tiger's resume because of a couple of losses to very good fighters that Im not totally convinced he really has even looked into.

I dont think its as simple as that anyway...Tiger's resume is deep and well stacked..Much more so then Mayweathers at the very least. What a fighter might be capable of and what he actually did are two different things.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum