Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
nip102
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 987
Default A classic view of the ring belt

I know this as probably being done to death but whats your opinion on the ring belt does it make you 'the champ' or is it just another useless trinket
nip102 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #2
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: A classic view of the ring belt

It is by far the most credible belt out there but it is not infalible.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

It's attractive because it's devoid of politics to a degree the others can't match. Not entirely, but the machinations of a body like the WBC is basically incomparable. Corrupt doesn't being to cover it.

Whatever the reality, though, the fact that the system used to decide the champion is now owned by one of the world's biggest promoters does hurt it.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

[quote=McGrain;5598580]It's attractive because it's devoid of politics to a degree the others can't match. Not entirely, but the machinations of a body like the WBC is basically incomparable. Corrupt doesn't being to cover it.

Whatever the reality, though, the fact that the system used to decide the champion is now owned by one of the world's biggest promoters does hurt it.[/quote]

This, and the WBC is considered the most credible of the horrible three. The Ring belt now is tarnished with ODLH owning it, but still fight fans are getting smart enough to realize belts are meaningless anyway in terms of making a great fight. Does anyone really care if a belt is on the line for the Pac Mayweather fight?
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #5
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Hell I dont care if a belt is on the line for Pac Mayweather.

I also dont think a champion should "Paid" for the "Right" to be champ.

IE sanction fees. The belt should be won or lost in the ring, or retire. Non of this stripping a fighter in a month if they dont defend against the right guy who didnt earn his title shot, or stripping a fighter just because he has bad politcs, or because he is holding other belt.

A lot of the main 3 alpha belts LOVED to strip a fighter just because they hold other belt.
IE, if your WBA champ and just won the WBO belt, you can kiss your WBA belt goodbuy or in some cases both of em.

Just look at Wlad's last fight, beat the WBA champ, but NO WBA belt lol.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
nip102
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
The Ring belt now is tarnished with ODLH owning it
i don't think it has been tarnished that badly there has been no favourable coverage given to gbp fighters in the mag or ranking.Fans are suspicious of ODLH ownership and rightfully so but so far theres being no real scandal.I think he's actually done a good job with the mag and website.
Also i like the fact fighters don't have to pay for the belt
nip102 is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
ThinBlack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The ring belt is a joke, but so then is most of boxing nowadays.
ThinBlack is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nip102 View Post
I know this as probably being done to death but whats your opinion on the ring belt does it make you 'the champ' or is it just another useless trinket
Just another strap.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
The Ring belt now is tarnished with ODLH owning it
Especially historically. However we feel about it now (and I feel fine about it) how are people going to feel about it in seventy years? How can you take fights for a title seriously in retrospect when they were made by an institution (Ring) flat out owned by a promoter? You can't.

What is most disturbing about the governing bodies throughout history is the influence promoters and managers have over them. Here we have a case where a promoter flat out owns the supposed most respected one. Won't wash in historical terms. No way.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #10
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Especially historically. However we feel about it now (and I feel fine about it) how are people going to feel about it in seventy years? How can you take fights for a title seriously in retrospect when they were made by an institution (Ring) flat out owned by a promoter? You can't.

What is most disturbing about the governing bodies throughout history is the influence promoters and managers have over them. Here we have a case where a promoter flat out owns the supposed most respected one. Won't wash in historical terms. No way.
Correct and historically boxing writers are the best critics of boxers, meaning they demand the most out of them to have their coveted title.
Now the very thought of knowing the biggest promoter is their boss, has to influence them whether consciously or subconsciously, its in the back of their minds somewhere.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 04:26 PM   #11
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

I honestly dont think ODLH owning the Ring magazine and belt tarnishes it, i dont think its changed at all since he took over it.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
I honestly dont think ODLH owning the Ring magazine and belt tarnishes it, i dont think its changed at all since he took over it.
I agree.

But it's how it will look that is important. It's the same with any governing body - the mere hint of impropriety hurts it. Here there is a very obvious case to answer and it will be almost impossible to clear it consistantly in the long run.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #13
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
I agree.

But it's how it will look that is important. It's the same with any governing body - the mere hint of impropriety hurts it. Here there is a very obvious case to answer and it will be almost impossible to clear it consistantly in the long run.
But nothing is corrupt about it a the moment, i think unless something fishy does occur you cant really hold it aginst them.

Also Oscar was a fighter who cared about legacy, so im sure he would like this to help the history of boxing and keep it as a Legitimate and trusted title
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 04:39 PM   #14
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
But nothing is corrupt about it a the moment, i think unless something fishy does occur you cant really hold it aginst them.
But justice and perception rarely mix. And "fishy" is relative. Just check out the general forum whenever a close decision occurs.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
nip102
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I agree.

i get what your saying but there is only a hint of it whereas the rest are covered it
nip102 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum