Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-07-2009, 05:53 PM   #31
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Charley Burley Rejected Dive, For Title Shot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Supposedly. But i'm afraid i don't have a source, it's one of those half remembered things. Supposedly Moore was owning him and he was just getting nowhere. There was something where he was appealing to the referee or trying to talk to his corner and Moore just ****ing flattened him Smith beat the count, calmly climbed out of the ring and bolted for the dressing room.
Taken from boxrec:

"Smith knocked Moore down for an eight count in the 6th round with a right hand. After punching himself out in a failed attempt to stop Moore, he coasted in the 7th round. In the 8th, Smith turned to look at his corner and was floored by Moore for a nine count. After he got up, Moore pounded him into the ropes, when Gruman started counting for another knockdown. At the count of five, Smith ducked through the ropes and walked to the dressing room. He was suspended indefinitely by the Portland Boxing Commission and his purse was withheld. (Information taken from the Portland Oregonian.)"

There are a couple of pay-per-view articles on the fight on Google News.

Here's the headline of one of them:

"[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]"
TheGreatA is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 05:54 PM   #32
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by iran barkley View Post
Also what are your thoughts on smith? any other reasons why he was strange? besides jumping out of the ring in the middle of action

Smith has one of the weirdest records in boxing to go with his mad head. He beat Johnson and Marshall by KO and fought a draw with Moore, but he couldn't get his head around Lytell or Chase, who are from the same cloth but a level below. He had a reputation as a top puncher but his KO% isn't all that. He was a part of one of the most notorious fixes in the sport's history versus Cocoa Kid, and although he was on the winning side (so no guarantee he knew anything about it, he probably didn't...though the penny must have dropped ) I often wonder if he wasn't a "business" fighter. I think Marshall was.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #33
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatA View Post
In the 8th, Smith turned to look at his corner and was floored by Moore for a nine count.
Quality.

Cheers lad, I should have had a little look for myself.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 06:00 PM   #34
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Smith has one of the weirdest records in boxing to go with his mad head. He beat Johnson and Marshall by KO and fought a draw with Moore, but he couldn't get his head around Lytell or Chase, who are from the same cloth but a level below. He had a reputation as a top puncher but his KO% isn't all that. He was a part of one of the most notorious fixes in the sport's history versus Cocoa Kid, and although he was on the winning side (so no guarantee he knew anything about it, he probably didn't...though the penny must have dropped ) I often wonder if he wasn't a "business" fighter. I think Marshall was.
He usually only lost to the best so I don't think so. Scored some big upsets and was the victim of a couple. He was fortunate to have many of his fights in his hometown of Oakland, California although he never seemed to receive any hometown decisions.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:02 PM   #35
TheGreatA
Champion
East Side Guru

I wonder if Oakland Billy Smith is still alive. He would be 88 years of age now.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #36
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
He usually only lost to the best so I don't think so. Scored some big upsets and was the victim of a couple. He was fortunate to have many of his fights in his hometown of Oakland, California although he never seemed to receive any hometown decisions.
Aye, he had some people behind him which makes all the difference.

I don't say he tanked, but he perhaps carried fighters. Once used up he may have climbed into the ring for tank-jobs, and he does have a couple of odd KO losses, to Morrow and Wade. Burley and Moore had more power than both and they clatter Smith on film with little resut. Of course, i'm speculating here.

As far as a counter argument goes Burley was asked to carry Smith and on the winning end versus CK which speaks of a protected fighter, if anything.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 06:05 PM   #37
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
I wonder if Oakland Billy Smith is still alive. He would be 88 years of age now.

!! Christ, someone wants to track that guy down. It didn't occur to me for even a moment that he might be alive...look at the guys he fought, he could tell a story.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 12-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #38
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

GreatA, I don't think he will be. I'm sure Otty or Rosenfeld would have tracked him down.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum