Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-07-2007, 01:45 AM   #1
atg

vCash: 1000
Default Using reach to full advantage...

Well I was jsut thinking about this after reading another thread and when fighting a shorter oppenenant is it a good idea to move your shoulders and bend your knees slightly more than ussual? I heard something about this once and I'm not sure if the person was right or if I understood him. But I think what I mean is shouldnt you go down to their level because instead of using 4 inches of arm legnth to go down on them you can bend knees and get extra distance?

Anyone know what I'm tlaking about? Its hard for me to explain so if your lost I can understand.
atg is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
JMonster
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Using reach to full advantage...

ya i know what ur talking about...it's always good to try different things in a fight and have seen fighters use this technique b4...ur reflexes have to be good though. another trick is that when they throw a punch, for it to miss or not tag ur jaw is just stand up straighter and it'll hit ur chest which doesn't hurt as much
JMonster is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 07:27 AM   #3
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

A lot of trainers, not everyone of them, but a lot of them would tell you to "get eye level with your opponent". I'd say it depends on how much you had to bend your knees and how well you could move around at the adjusted height. I wouldn't suggest for Lennox Lewis to get eye level with David Tua, Lewis would be giving up too much and taking too much out of his legs. I'd probably suggest Holyfield get eye level with Ibragimov since the adjustment isn't so great.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 10:42 AM   #4
ralphc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atg
Well I was jsut thinking about this after reading another thread and when fighting a shorter oppenenant is it a good idea to move your shoulders and bend your knees slightly more than ussual? I heard something about this once and I'm not sure if the person was right or if I understood him. But I think what I mean is shouldnt you go down to their level because instead of using 4 inches of arm legnth to go down on them you can bend knees and get extra distance?

Anyone know what I'm tlaking about? Its hard for me to explain so if your lost I can understand.

There is a lot of confused advice about the concept of "eye level". Kenny Weldon talks about it in his videos, but actually gives an incomplete explanation. The only time you should lower your stance to get eye level is when there isn't too much of a disparity between your respective heights, and if you have no reach advantage. The idea is to avoid punching downward and defending upward. However, you should avoid it if your opponent fights small and has a very tight defense. The worst case scenario is if you are taller and have shorter arms. In that situation you might find yourself taking a lot of hits that are difficult to avoid.
ralphc is offline  Top
Old 10-07-2007, 01:20 PM   #5
Butch Coolidge
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The idea is to avoid punching downward and defending upward.

Bingo.
Butch Coolidge is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing