Boxing News 24 Forum
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #16
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Chris Eubank vs Michael Watson (1)

eubank 2,4,5,7,8,9

watson 3,6,10,11,12

even 1,

A nice highly skilled chessmatch that was dominated by defensive work, though Eubank could have taken it wider had he maintained a consistent level of offensive sharpness throughout the entire fight, as Watson managed to do.

A lot of the rounds were close and without real decisive exchanges, so i wouldn't moan too much if someone thought Watson had done enough to edge this.I'd say Eubank would have been the one with the more legit claim to have been robbed, mind you.

Eubank vs Watson rematch

Eubank 1,5,6
Watson 2,4,7,8,9,10,11
even 3

Truly great fight, fought at a much faster pace and with far more exchanges than the first.Watson fighting effectively from a more aggressive countering style began to pay off after an even first half, as Eubank started to slow down.Michael's short right hand was effective in scoring as he began to clearly edge round after round.

Just as it seemed Eubank was about to either get stopped or take a one sided beating over the last few rounds, he got up from a half exhaustion/half accumulated punishment knockdown and almost casually unloaded a right uppercut that floored Watson heavily.A real jersey joe moment, though there's no doubt that the brain trauma sustained was the real reason watson was so badly out of it for the next round stoppage.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #17
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Cant remember my exact scorecard for the 1st Eubank-Watson fight but Im sure I had Watson a clear winner, might check it out soon.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 03:20 PM   #18
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Finally watched Kid Gavilan's fight with Danny Bang Bang Womber.

You won't be surprised to know that my love affair with Kid Gavilan continued and I scored the fight for him 97-96.

It was a could have gone either way type of fight for me. Womber was the more consistent throughout, throwing and landing more shots, but I felt Kid Gavilan was better in terms of clean effective punching.

Loved the moment where Kid winds up three bolo punches consecutively amidst a ten punch flurry. Danny gave some of his own back and landed a bolo punch or two throughhout the fight which got the crowd going.

Enjoyable fight to watch, as most Gavilan fights are (Saxton farce excluded).

In terms of a rounds breakdown I gave Womber rounds 1,5 and 8. Gavilan rounds 3,6,7 and 10. The rest of the rounds even.

Don't think i've watched this one.Got about six gavilan DVD's sitting in a pile of stuff here i'll be watching soon .I've seen a lot of it already, but never had it all in the one place before, so watching them in chronological order should be interesting.

Did you check out the Winstone Louis fight , sweet?.I reckon you would like that one, considering your appreciation for Laguna and Buchanan.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:03 PM   #19
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

That guy has Watanabe vs Luis Ibanez uploaded in full.Prime Watanabe coasting along and dismantling his limited foe, getting possibly badly hurt by a bodyshot along the way....nice viscious finish.Can't be bothered posting the links.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #20
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

Duran/De Jesus I.

I had DeJesus winning by a pretty thin margin on the old system. If you're giving him an extra point for the KD then it's more clear. I'd be interested to see other people's scorecards.

It was a very poor performance from Duran all round. Whether or not you buy his car crash excuse is another story, but his defence looked even greener than it was around that stage of his career, his timing was off, and he wasn't bulling to the inside and landing with the kind of ferocity he did against Buchanan a few months beforehand. It certainly took him a few months and a few fights to get back into full gear.

Hopefully, I'll get round to watching II and III tomorrow.
itrymariti is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #21
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
Don't think i've watched this one.Got about six gavilan DVD's sitting in a pile of stuff here i'll be watching soon .I've seen a lot of it already, but never had it all in the one place before, so watching them in chronological order should be interesting.

Did you check out the Winstone Louis fight , sweet?.I reckon you would like that one, considering your appreciation for Laguna and Buchanan.
I haven't checked it out yet but I will do so later tonight. Look forward to it.

I'd say Gavilan's one of the best fighters to watch on film no matter what one's proclivities are. He can box, he can slug, he can swarm. The complete package. Going through his fights chronologically wouldn't be a bad thing to do. There's hardly any bad fights amongst his lot.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 09:30 PM   #22
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrymariti View Post
Whether or not you buy his car crash excuse is another story
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #23
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Eddie Mustafa Muhammed vs Marvin Johnson. Mustafa makes an incredible commitment to his left hook to the body on his way to a stoppage.

1st 7 rounds of Vicente Saldivar vs Howard Winstone. Great stuff. Very, very solid technical skills with good action. I have it Saldivar 4-3 so far.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #24
essexboy
The Cat
ESB Addict

vCash: 418

Quote:
Just watched and scored Eubank-Watson I. Neat fight.

Eubank edged it for me. I had him winning 115-113. Eubank taking rounds 1,2,4,5,8,9 and 12. Watson taking 3,6,7,10 and 11.

The contentious rounds for me were rounds 7,10 and 12, which were all close to being even rounds.

Eubank showed some good defensive skill in this one, avoiding a lot of Watson's shots, but his offensive output was uneven (good sharp shots mixed in with lots of winged and wild hooks and moments where he would go AWOL).

Watson was predictable and sturdy, and showed much better conditioning than Eubank. As the fight wore on his punches started to get through, even if they were thrown without much flair or creativity.

In the end I thought Eubank landed the cleaner shots overall and his better defense carried him through.

I wouldn't scream and shout if someone had Watson just ahead but I don't think there's too good an argument for it.
Lost my scorecard but I know I had Eubank winning by a point. People said Watson was robbed at the time and you still get idiots who havent even seen the fight saying it now. Some things never change.
essexboy is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2009, 04:19 AM   #25
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
I haven't checked it out yet but I will do so later tonight. Look forward to it.
Just finished watching it, superb little boxing match. It's great when two fighters styles mesh so well, it's a joy to watch.

Winstone really had some sweet skills, especially his jab was impressive, and Baby Luis had that slick, slipping rhythm down pat.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2009, 05:08 AM   #26
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

Duran/De Jesus II.

You could always tell when Duran was really up for a fight: he was twice as fast, twice as heavy with his shots and got to the inside with much more impetus. The improvement in Duran since the first fight was marked. He seemed to have worked out how to avoid De Jesus’ quick potshotting from the outside which had clipped him repeatedly in the first fight, and his head movement had evolved considerably. I think this and the Ishimatsu fights were probably the first to showcase his growing defensive genius; before then, he’d been surprisingly hittable. De Jesus’ tried every tack; but when he boxed and moved, Duran cut off the ring and hit him even while he was dancing, and when he duked it out he just couldn’t match Duran’s ferocity and power. The kind of leather Duran was throwing would have emptied anybody’s tank within a couple of rounds, but he just didn’t stop. It really was amazing.

I had Duran up by about eight rounds before the stoppage. A comprehensive defeat of a legend in himself and thorough revenge for Duran’s first loss.
itrymariti is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2009, 05:26 AM   #27
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Paul Williams-Sergio Martinez

Excellent fight. I gave Martinez rounds 1 through 3, 8, 10, and 11. The rest to Williams. 114-114.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2009, 08:27 AM   #28
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thread Stealer View Post
Paul Williams-Sergio Martinez

Excellent fight. I gave Martinez rounds 1 through 3, 8, 10, and 11. The rest to Williams. 114-114.
Wouldn't disagree.

Pesonally has Martinez winning the first 3, 8 and 11. THINK I had Williams winning the others, 115-113, HOWEVER, a round either way or a draw is perfectly acceptable.

To those who say Martinez was the only one landing effective punching; Williams made up for the flush shots he ate with his own, he had Martinez on queer street at one stage with a straight left (round 6 I think?)

Will watch it again, was a quality fight. A rematch for the WBO interim (useless) and the WBC at 154 is essential IMO.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 11:49 PM   #29
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Rocky Lockridge-Pedroza I

Dont even think I have ever seen this fight in full because I only really remember patches of it and certainly didnt score it before. I tend just to watch fights the first time and enjoy them rather then sit down and score them. I probably should change that habit.

Ive watched and scored up to round 10. Its been a good scrap so far but I feel the commentators, ring side scorers and obviously pro Lockridge arent giving Pedroza enough credit.
Basically an end of round poll has Rocky shutting out EP after 7 and even when Pedroza wins clear rounds there are still like 40-50% voting for Rocky.
Ignoring a lot of good bodywork and consistent scoring from Pedroza in favour for Rocky landing or half landing a bigger eye catching shots and being the aggressor.

Rocky made a great start and has rocked EP a couple of times..but the 9th and 10th were BIG rounds for Pedroza, with some vicious and exciting exchanges..Great work from both men.

So far Ive got it 5 rounds Pedroza, 4 round Lockridge and 1 even...with as I said Pedroza starting to get on top when I stopped it.

I shall watch the rest of it tommorrow and post my final card.
Cheers
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 12:03 AM   #30
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Wouldn't disagree.

Pesonally has Martinez winning the first 3, 8 and 11. THINK I had Williams winning the others, 115-113, HOWEVER, a round either way or a draw is perfectly acceptable.

To those who say Martinez was the only one landing effective punching; Williams made up for the flush shots he ate with his own, he had Martinez on queer street at one stage with a straight left (round 6 I think?)

Will watch it again, was a quality fight. A rematch for the WBO interim (useless) and the WBC at 154 is essential IMO.
I think it was the end of the 4th round when Williams landed a big left hand and Martinez was hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock View Post
Rocky Lockridge-Pedroza I

Dont even think I have ever seen this fight in full because I only really remember patches of it and certainly didnt score it before. I tend just to watch fights the first time and enjoy them rather then sit down and score them. I probably should change that habit.

Ive watched and scored up to round 10. Its been a good scrap so far but I feel the commentators, ring side scorers and obviously pro Lockridge arent giving Pedroza enough credit.
Basically an end of round poll has Rocky shutting out EP after 7 and even when Pedroza wins clear rounds there are still like 40-50% voting for Rocky.
Ignoring a lot of good bodywork and consistent scoring from Pedroza in favour for Rocky landing or half landing a bigger eye catching shots and being the aggressor.

Rocky made a great start and has rocked EP a couple of times..but the 9th and 10th were BIG rounds for Pedroza, with some vicious and exciting exchanges..Great work from both men.

So far Ive got it 5 rounds Pedroza, 4 round Lockridge and 1 even...with as I said Pedroza starting to get on top when I stopped it.

I shall watch the rest of it tommorrow and post my final card.
Cheers
I thought Pedroza won it fairly, I didn't see the big controversy about it.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum