Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Ezzard Charles vs. Roy Jones , 12 rds@175 , who wins and how ?
Roy Jones by stoppage 2 9.52%
Roy Jones by decision 2 9.52%
Ezzard Charles by decision 2 9.52%
Ezzard Charles by stoppage 15 71.43%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #16
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Roy Jones vs. Ezzard Charles , 15rds@175

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
It was a good argument didnt Burleys saprring partner was it 'Blackie' Nelson say Jones Jr was the fighter Burley was most similar too when asked about how Burley fought
Yeah, and more than one ringsider who saw both apparently agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Pea View Post
On the other hand Jones would be dealing with a prime Ezzard rather than the relatively green version that beat Burley. Therefore I think the stakes are more or less evened up for this bout, and without the chin to rely on, I don't think Jones would hear the final bell. When you consider that his power was not as effective at LHW (outside of his body shot KO on Hill he didn't really show too much in that regard, especially past a certain point) and that he started to stand more flat-footed in his approach, I think you have a recipe for disaster for Jones once Charles puts the finishing touches on his plan. Charles by KO, probably around the 9th.
All very true. Weighing experience versus size is very difficult though. I wish, wish we had some glimmers of film of Charles-Burley. I know that's a useless thing to say, but they might be the greatest pair of wins in fight-history speaking relatively.
McGrain is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 05:11 PM   #17
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I agree with Duodenum on this..in fact that Moore ko of Charles was the first thing that came to mind. Ruggedness plays a part in this as well...Jones, for instance, would have NEVER been able to gut it out and take it for 15 rounds against Marciano like Charles did, and I think everybody knows that too.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #18
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Charles successfully outboxed Walcott twice who himself was a tricky unorthodox counter puncher with fantastic reflexes and freakish hand speed. While Roy Jones is one of a kind as Jersey Joe was, Charles isn't exactly inexperienced at dealing with unusual boxers of that substance. Ezzard will adapt as he always does and find a home for his short left, putting Jones to sleep in the Championship rounds.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 12:34 PM   #19
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2680

(1) jones also showed power against an unprepaired griffin in their second fight. (not only against hill) and to some extent also against reggie johnson , mike mccallum , tony thornton , vinny pazienza , merqui sosa and thulani malinga and these are just a part of his fights that i saw.
(2) many of roy jones' opponents were no slouches : griffin , thornton , pazienza , reggie johnson , i don't even check his record again for that matter
(3) charley burley had neither jones' power nor his size and i bet that also not his speed
(4) a prime roy jones had a good chin.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #20
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

You cannot compare the opposition they fought Charles fought far better fighters it’s a simple fact. The biggest difference between the two isn't speed it’s in fighting. Roy in fighting ability was non existence he just used to lay on the ropes while Charles was an excellent in fighter with powerful body shots like the one he stopped Marshall with. Also Ezzard has the better jab and power, I see him eventually getting Roy's timing and stopping him in the championship rounds.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #21
smitty_son408
J ust E njoy T his S hit
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
It was a good argument didnt Burleys saprring partner was it 'Blackie' Nelson say Jones Jr was the fighter Burley was most similar too when asked about how Burley fought
yep
smitty_son408 is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 03:50 PM   #22
smitty_son408
J ust E njoy T his S hit
ESB Addict

What version would turn up though? The aggressive version before the Baroudi incident or the more cautious, boxer 1st version that came after. Jones indeed began to fall in love with himself as he moved up in weight and became more flat footed. As the rounds would begin to go by Charles feinting would have taken their affect and Jones would eventually get caught.

Charles in the 11th.
smitty_son408 is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 04:01 PM   #23
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty_son408 View Post
What version would turn up though? The aggressive version before the Baroudi incident or the more cautious, boxer 1st version that came after. Jones indeed began to fall in love with himself as he moved up in weight and became more flat footed. As the rounds would begin to go by Charles feinting would have taken their affect and Jones would eventually get caught.

Charles in the 11th.
I specifically mentioned Charles KO 8 Moore in part because that was Ezzard's last match before the Baroudi tragedy. Ezz was both at his cagiest and most ruthless for that one.
Duodenum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum