Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-08-2009, 10:46 AM   #46
frankwornank
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Who is the greatest person in boxing

Carmen Basilio needs mentioning here. He was an excellent welter and middleweight champ. He was tough as nails and always in great shape. Probably more than any other fighter, he is responsible for The Boxing Hall of Fame coming to fruition. Just an all-around good guy.
frankwornank is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2009, 11:27 AM   #47
junior-soprano
Contender
ESB Senior Member

there is only one answer possible.
Ali. and the reason why is quit simple. to the general people in the world the heavyweights take the most attention. a lot of people just know who's the heavyweight champ nothing more or they just watch the heavyweights.
and there hasn't been a champ like ali not just because of his fights but everything around it. predicting in what round his opponent would go down. the flashy talks, the big mouthing, the funny interviews, everything.
i was born in 71 and i still remember how my father took me out of bed in the late 70ties to watch ali fight on tv late at night.
i think ali turned a lot of people into boxing fans who if it hadn't been for ali never would have become boxing fans.
junior-soprano is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 11:34 AM   #48
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Joe Louis, Max Schmeling,Gene Tunny and Rocky Marciano had dignity and class and inspired many...Barney Ross, Willie Pep, Camine Basilio, Al" Bummy Davis died for a friend getting held up and George Foreman is a good man
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #49
junior-soprano
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy View Post
Winston Churchill is rated the greatest briton of all time maybe we can say Abe Lincoln was the greatest American, but who do we say is the greatest person in boxing is it Ali for the work he did to further his race, Tunney for his work in the navy and general life, or Jeffries, Marciano, Sugar Ray Robinson we here a lot about the assholes in this sport who are the really good guys, always faithfull to their wives, who maybe fought for their country the guys who were really courageous.
P.S. you shouldn't take those polls to seriously. in russia, when they voted for the greatest russian, joe stalin ended up in the top 3. that says something of the intelligence (or lack off it) off the people who particepate in those polls
junior-soprano is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 11:52 AM   #50
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior-soprano View Post
P.S. you shouldn't take those polls to seriously. in russia, when they voted for the greatest russian, joe stalin ended up in the top 3. that says something of the intelligence (or lack off it) off the people who particepate in those polls
During the Yeltsin run, they had a large nationwide poll that concluded Stalin would beat Boris in an open election. Those people miss the good old days.

As far as greatest person in boxing, Jack Dempsey requires some mention, though what he accomplished had more to do with elevating boxing than society, a la Johnson and Ali.

Floyd Patterson was a hell of an individual from everything I have heard and read.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 01:51 PM   #51
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Theres only 2 answers to this thread: Muhammed Ali and Mike Tyson by a landslide, they definned boxing for generations and brought it to the mainstream. Any other answer is typical of the anorak trying to be trendy ****wittery of the Classic forum
IMO, take Tyson out of your post and you hit the nail on the head
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 02:14 PM   #52
CharlieGarbs
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Their can't actually be any arguement here, the answer is simply: Ali. Pre-Ali then perhaps Joe Louis, SRR or Jack Johnson?
CharlieGarbs is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #53
sweetsci
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I'll throw Archie Moore's name in. From what I've read and heard he was always a gentleman and carried himself with a lot of dignity. He also was involved with a charity that helped kids, Any Boy Can.
sweetsci is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 06:57 PM   #54
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Evander Holyfield
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 12-08-2009, 08:13 PM   #55
rekcutnevets
Black Sash
East Side Guru

My apologies, but I believe Jack Johnson should be getting mentioned a little more here.

Jack Johnson was the first black heavyweight champion. That was no easy accomplishment. I live in a white majority, rural area. Johnson's task may be daunting here, even if it were today. I can only imagine his time.

I don't think it is a negative that he didn't just "stay in his place." Johnson shattered the myth that white people are supreme to black people. Johnson also did it with a "**** you" attitude, and this defiance was needed to deliver the message to his immediate audience. Johnson may have set back a black person's career, or so, with his defiant attitude. Johnson empowered a minority nation with his individualism.

The only real knock I see against Johnson was a supposed abuse of women. If being racist is a forgivable sin for Sullivan and Jeffries, why is being ***ist unforgivable for Johnson? Johnson was just a product of his time.
rekcutnevets is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum