Old 12-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #46
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Pinklon Thomas v Gerrie Coetzee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
I was not impressed with Greg Page beating George Chaplin and looking fat and jiggily at 240 bloated pounds or so in 1981..... Then Page slimmed down to like 221 pounds for Trevor Berbick in 1982, but Page looked weak and lackluster in losing a decision to Berbick... After that, Greg Page had a good win in Texas over James Tillis to close out 1982.... Come '83, Page outboxed Renaldo Snipes pretty easily on the undercard of "Holmes-Spoon." That was about the last we ever saw of a primed Greg Page.... His title shot with Larry Holmes fell through in late 1983, and Holmes either vacated or was stripped of the WBC title belt in late '83, so Page was forced to settle with a vacant title shot against Tim Witherspoon in March of 1984, which Page again showed up fat and lazy, and lost..... Meanwhile, Larry Holmes accepted the IBF title belt..... In late 1984, Greg Page put forth one last good effort and stopped Gerrie Coetzee for the WBA title down in South America..... Come 1985, Greg Page was sliding down the hill; never to return to glory... His title loss to Tony Tubbs in '85 was a tell-tale sign that Page was lazy and slipping...... I think in 1986, Page was knocked silly by a clubfighter..... I can't recall the dudes name, but it was a shocking upset.... By 1987, Greg Page no longer had a cable contract or any real big fights lined up..... I do have his 1992 effort against Razor Ruddock.. Page was game---for a while, but he got himself TKO'd by Ruddock on cable TV......... Yeah, I know a little something about Gregory Page...... Peace........

MR.BILL

P.S.

In 1990, on the undercard of "Whitaker-Nelson" on HBO, Greg Page was KO'd with one punch by Mark Wills prior to the main event...... Page got up, but he was on queer street, so he was stopped in around the 9th round.......

EXTRA:

Christ, it was Mark Wills who stopped Page twice in '86 and 1990..... And how the hell did Page manage to lose to a 37 year old Joe Bugner in 1987??

Greg Page's biggest wins of the 90s were against James Smith in 1992 and Tim Witherspoon in 1999........
Check out Page's wins vs Evangelista and definitely Marty Monroe.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 04:34 AM   #47
mochabuzz
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRBILL View Post
Did Mike Weaver ruin Thomas???

MR.BILL
no... this ruined Thomas.....
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5RI3n9mUeU[/ame]
mochabuzz is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #48
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

I thought it was a close fight. Thomas was a threat to Holmes and you could see in the upset Berbick fight that something was wrong with Pinklon. I think Thomas would have upset Holmes and I think Larry knew it as well. There were rumors that Pink went back on herion before the Berbick fightand I found out later it was true. Shame he had one of the best jabs, decent speed and power and took a solid shot (TYSON
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-09-2009, 06:18 PM   #49
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigcat View Post
I recently reviewed a few fights i hadn't seen in years , and this fight was a classic.. Pinklon was a better heavyweight than many give him credit for, if he was around in todays climate he would hold a version because of his whole approach to the game. He was in great condition and always gave his all even until the final seconds of a tough heavyweight battle. The fight was a very exciting draw but it had great drama throughout. I followed Pinkys career and remember how solid his jab was and how fast his hands were as well as a very hot right hand KO punch. The Weaver fight was one of his finest moments , defending his title succesfully against a family member (Mike was related through marriage) I think the heavyweights of the eighties and early nineties were hotter than credited for.. I think sometimes money is thrown around too freely nowadays and top fifteen fighters are far too content on risk free fights , and are no where near as hungry as they were a decade or two ago..
Pinky Thomas had TWO good yrs as a fighter...... 1983 thru '85......... After that, he went to hell---FAST!!! His loss to Berbick was close, but his two ass-beatings' by "Tyson and Holy" pretty much finished him off as a serious threat........ The '90 KO loss to Bowe was extra icing on his cake........

Coetzee pretty much went to hell after his title win over Dokes in 1983........ After Coetzee was stopped by Page in '84, Coetzee never really amounted to much after that..... His first round KO loss to Bruno convinced me he was shot........

NOW! I wish I had a copy of Coetzee's fight with "Thomas and Snipes." I missed both of them fights back in the 80s cuz I was working or spaced off....... DAMMIT!

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum