Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-11-2009, 01:12 PM   #1
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Who should rate higher - Riddick Bowe or Floyd Patterson?

I'm thinking Bowe shoud rate a few spaces higher than patterson myself. Bowe was never stopped and lost only once to an all time great fighter whom he beat twice. Patterson lost 8 times and was stopped on some 5 occasions. Floyd has the claim to being the youngest champ and the first to regain the title, but do these stats really make him a better fighter, or were they acquired merely via the right circumstance? Bowe's best win was against a prime Holyfield, Floyd's best was either an aging Moore or Ingo Johhansen.. Take your pick. Bowe notoriously ducked the greatest challenger of his era in a most disgraceful fashion, but Floyd ducking challengers throughout his entire title reign was no secret either.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2009, 01:47 PM   #2
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Default Re: Who should rate higher - Riddick Bowe or Floyd Patterson?

This is contradictory of me to say but I would rate Patterson higher from a historical standpoint even though I think Bowe would have handily defeated Patterson had they been able to fight. When people talk now about making a superheavyweight division I think this what they had in mind. Bowe would be way too big and powerful for Patterson to handle. But in terms of career accomplishment I think Patterson comes out on top here.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I personally rank Patterson higher, both as a fighter of significance as well as a person.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Bowe, his wins over Holyfield are such a long way better than wins over Johansen/Machen/Moore

Patterson was by far the better P4P fighter though
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 03:37 PM   #5
Imira
Vespertine...

Location: "A fighter should be able to employ a strategy of his choice and get a fair decision."

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
I'm thinking Bowe shoud rate a few spaces higher than patterson myself. Bowe was never stopped and lost only once to an all time great fighter whom he beat twice. Patterson lost 8 times and was stopped on some 5 occasions. Floyd has the claim to being the youngest champ and the first to regain the title, but do these stats really make him a better fighter, or were they acquired merely via the right circumstance? Bowe's best win was against a prime Holyfield, Floyd's best was either an aging Moore or Ingo Johhansen.. Take your pick. Bowe notoriously ducked the greatest challenger of his era in a most disgraceful fashion, but Floyd ducking challengers throughout his entire title reign was no secret either.
Cus refused to allow Floyd to fight anyone who had ties to the IBC because of their corruption (pipe + newspaper + Ray Arcel's head = Arcel stopped setting up televised fights that cut into their profits) It hurt Floyd's level of challengers but helped to break their stranglehold on boxing. Cus made his decision well known to the public during this time.

This goes much deeper than Floyd just throwing his belt in the trash because he "didn't want to fight" the best of his day. Floyd's decision to not fight IBC fighters was a tough but ethical choice that has been exonerated by history. Bowe's refusal to fight Lewis was a poor choice that ruined his reputation and hurts his legacy as a great champion.

Personal opinion of course.
Imira is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Head to head Bowe blows Patterson out in 1 round, but in terms of what they did overall as fighters Patterson did more as both a contender, champion, and in his post-championship career.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 05:29 PM   #7
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

A real argument can be made that Floyd deserved to regain a share of the title a second time against Ellis. Where longevity is concerned, there's no contest at all. Patterson was beating seasoned professionals right from his first year of professional competition in 1952, beat Durelle in 1954 and 1955, and decisioned Bonavena in 1972. Floyd might have been a top ten contender into his 40s. By his late 20s, Bowe was shot.

Bowe's legacy is largely confined to winning his trilogy with Holyfield, and re-splintering the heavyweight title in the process.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 06:50 PM   #8
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

In terms of persona and character its Patterson by a mile or two......... Bowe is / was a blow-it....... Patterson stay active and fought through thick and then over the years after his title days were over....... Bowe went to hell over night in 1996 and never truly came back in a impressive manner......... Patterson maintained conditioning, while Bowe became a full-fledged slob.......... No contest.... Patterson is greater............

However, in a time machine, punch for shot, Bowe beats Patty silly based on size and strength........ Patty too small for Bowe......

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 07:19 PM   #9
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Don't know if I'd completely rule out Patterson against Bowe...

Remember that Herbie Hide, a very hard (and far chinnier fighter then Patterson, even if only in terms of being able to recover from a shot) jump in with hooks puncher, had Bowe out on his feet. In his own words, he was never hurt worse in the ring.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 07:23 PM   #10
BUDW
Belt holder
ESB Addict

No contest Floyd Patterson.
BUDW is online now  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 08:01 PM   #11
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Patterson easily his legacy is far greater being the first two time heavyweight champ and his resume is better. Bowe resume is Holyfield twice thats it and a gift against Tubbs.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

In terms of being a person, well, Patterson tops Bowe with no question......... As a fighter, well, I see Bowe stopping Patterson in a time machine.........

I have footage of Floyd Patterson hanging out and filming with the late James Cagney....... That there says a lot.................. Riddick Bowe would never be invited to Cagney's farm in New York for lunch with a house guest............ Nuff said...........

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum