Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #16
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Re: Gene Fullmer - Overrated Chin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
I take Gene at his word that he was never even knocked dizzy until Robby flattened him, even though he'd been dropped. There are some accounts of LaMotta being shaken and staggered during the 1940s, and Jake, like Chuvalo, has always protested that his defensive movements were underrated.

My own suspicion has always been that Gene's chin is underrated, based on the widespread viewing Robby's knockout of him has received. Overlooked in that episode though is the fact that Fullmer was trying to get up, and recovered fairly quickly from the blow. This wasn't Ingo losing the title back to Patterson, Liston out cold at the hands of Martin, or Louis flat on his face after the count against Schmeling. If the bell had saved Gene, he might have been ready to answer the bell for round six.
He took a nine count and barely rose from one of the pre-perfect punch knockdowns.
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #17
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iran barkley View Post
His chin also wasnt on the level of Hagler, Ali or De La Hoya.
Why not Ali or DeLaHoya? They both were down a number of times each in their careers.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 06:16 AM   #18
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I think that even considering the times he was decked, it's ridiculous to question Gene Fullmer's chin.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #19
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Lausse was a massive puncher comparable to the biggest punches at that weight. I'd but Fullmer's chin on the same level as Eubank and Dick Tiger just below LaMotta at this weight. No doubt Gene has a quality chin and Ray stopping him with a single shot might be the greatest knockout ever largely due to Gene's proven durability. Ray couldn't seem to hurt him bad in any of their other meetings.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 12:13 PM   #20
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
His chin also wasnt on the level of Hagler, Ali or De La Hoya.
I'd probably put it on the same level as Ali and certainly higher then Oscar's who didn't fight nearly as many punchers and went down from Whitaker.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #21
Genesis
Undisputed
ESB Jr Member

Minotauro.

You can't put Gene's chin at Ali's level. Ali was never KO'd. Gene was KO'd by one punch to a 36 year old past prime Robinson, things like that never happened to Ali at Heavyweight and he fought massive punchers.
Genesis is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 12:44 PM   #22
Genesis
Undisputed
ESB Jr Member

Plus Dick Tiger had a better chin than Fullmer. He was only KO'd by one shot by murderous Light-Heavyweight Bob Foster at age 37. He was never Ko'd before.
Genesis is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 02:55 PM   #23
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
Why not Ali or DeLaHoya? They both were down a number of times each in their careers.
This is the first time I've ever heard anyone claim OSCAR DE LA HOYA(!!!!) had a better chin than Gene Fullmer.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #24
cotto20
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minotauro View Post
I'd probably put it on the same level as Ali and certainly higher then Oscar's who didn't fight nearly as many punchers and went down from Whitaker.
What? De La Hoya fought bigger punchers than Fullmer. Trinidad, Pac, Mosely, Chavez, Mayorga, Vargas, and Gatti. And was never knocked out by any of them.

De La Hoya's chin was amazing. Even when servely weight drained and weakend, Pac still cound't put him down or KO him.....
cotto20 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 08:11 PM   #25
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
What? De La Hoya fought bigger punchers than Fullmer. Trinidad, Pac, Mosely, Chavez, Mayorga, Vargas, and Gatti. And was never knocked out by any of them.

De La Hoya's chin was amazing. Even when servely weight drained and weakend, Pac still cound't put him down or KO him.....
Pac and Gatti were far smaller and Chavez was shot. Trinidad and Mosley were big hitters Vargas was on the decline and Mayorga was never anything special. None of those guys beside maybe Tito had raw power like Fernandez or Lausse. Plus style wise Gener took more clean shots then Oscar who barley took a power shot from Felix, that's not Oscar fault of course but when assessing chins its something to look at.

To the above poster while Ali never got KO'd he did get dropped by the likes of Cooper who wasn't a big puncher in comparison to some of the guys Gene fought p4p. Plus Ali never fought a puncher like Ray sure guys like Shavers, Foreman and co might have had the power but not the skill to land such a perfect shot. I think his chin is comparable to Ali and Tiger not to say better just around that level.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:03 PM   #26
My2Sense
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
De La Hoya fought bigger punchers than Fullmer. Trinidad, Pac, Mosely, Chavez, Mayorga, Vargas, and Gatti.
Robinson, Lausse, Fernandez, Tiger, Boyd, Webb, Basilio, and Turner hit as harder or harder than all those names you listed.
My2Sense is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #27
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Fullmer had a VERY good chin. He was fighting the best in the world over and over again. So he got starched once by a perfectly timed shot by RAY ROBINSON for goodness sakes. But the other fights with Ray he was in his face for 15 rounds and not close to going down.
apollack is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum