Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #91
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Re: Put these little guys in order of greatness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
Don't understand this to be honest.

Moon faced a higher calibre of opponent.

Also, just because he didn't focus so much on technique, doesn't mean it's 'easy' to swing like he did for as long as he could, take the punches he could and most importantly BEAT some very good fighters using the same style. Also, the fact he didn't have a massive amount of technical skill made it harder for him surely, because he could only do one thing but had to do it well, and ship punishment doing it.

In short, as he was very one dimensional you think people could have figured out a gameplan to beat him? Not really, he would just walk through everything.

Kaokor beat him really well, but as has already been noted Moons trainer died the night before the fight. He was not as there as me might've been, although Kaokor to his credit put on a masterful display against a stubborn opponent.

I think Moon is quality, regardless of him not having many nuances and streamlined technical aspects, he cut off the ring well, was resiliant, hard to beat and ferocious.

I hold all effective fighters in high regard regardless of style.
I have no desire to dispute any of your points. Well said. But I'd have rather been Moon, who did face better opposition, but didn't go into every fight knowing despite being about 4-5 levels above his opponent, he's going to have to work for 12 rounds regardless. In that respect, Moon had it easy in comparison.
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #92
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have no desire to dispute any of your points. Well said. But I'd have rather been Moon, who did face better opposition, but didn't go into every fight knowing despite being about 4-5 levels above his opponent, he's going to have to work for 12 rounds regardless. In that respect, Moon had it easy in comparison.
Well, surely thats down to Yuh not maximising his chosen style, and making things harder for himself (which I personally don't think is true) and Moon definitely had to work hard in all his fights.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 02:05 PM   #93
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPater11093 View Post
But he did his job effectivly though didnt he?

his skills is landing on his opponent, getting your feet planted correctly, getting power in his shots.

He was a good fighter due to his talent but for talent to be effective it has to be used well and he used it well he was aggresive and kept a high pace.
I've never denied that Moon was effective with the style he had, but I don't think he maximized it. Nor do I think it took a genius to work out that throwing a lot of punches and keeping a high pace would be a benefit for someone who hit hard.

What's your favorite Moon display, Greg?
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #94
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Well, surely thats down to Yuh not maximising his chosen style, and making things harder for himself (which I personally don't think is true) and Moon definitely had to work hard in all his fights.
It had to do with Myung-Woo Yuh not having the firepower, despite all of his efforts with a high work rate, to get his man out of there. Like I said earlier, power is god-given and as hard as Yuh worked in the gym, and as much as he sacrificed, he was never going to be a heavy hitter. Yuh couldn't go into the gym and learn how to hit like George Foreman, but Moon could have worked more on fundamentals and his punching technique.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #95
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

As an aside Moon was speculated to have been showing signs of brain damage as early as the second half of his reign, hence the brief career most likely.He regularly sparred with lightweights and welterweights, which was thought to be a big contributor to the vegetable like state he is in now.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 02:10 PM   #96
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
It had to do with Myung-Woo Yuh not having the firepower, despite all of his efforts with a high work rate, to get his man out of there. Like I said earlier, power is god-given and as hard as Yuh worked in the gym, and as much as he sacrificed, he was never going to be a heavy hitter. Yuh couldn't go into the gym and learn how to hit like George Foreman, but Moon could have worked more on fundamentals and his punching technique.

Would've made him less effective IMO. I understand you prefer more 'aesthetically pleasing' styles, and I can totally see where you're coming from. But someones style cannot be criticised when it is proven as effective. It's a tough one, because Moon has such an 'anti-style'. With certain fighters you could say 'needs to prove less susceptible to right hands' or 'would've been more effective if he turned over his left hook better' but Moon is so one track mind and an utter destroyer but in such a horrible way it's hard to change anything without giving him a complete overhaul, and then we'd be talking about another fighter.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 02:11 PM   #97
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
As an aside Moon was speculated to have been showing signs of brain damage as early as the second half of his reign, hence the brief career most likely.He regularly sparred with lightweights and welterweights, which was thought to be a big contributor to the vegetable like state he is in now.
Didn't know that. What a shame.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 02:13 PM   #98
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
I've never denied that Moon was effective with the style he had, but I don't think he maximized it. Nor do I think it took a genius to work out that throwing a lot of punches and keeping a high pace would be a benefit for someone who hit hard.

What's your favorite Moon display, Greg?
I like the Ford fight personally pretty destructive also the 2nd Konadu fight is a good display

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
****, didnt know he had brain damage not great to here
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 02:14 PM   #99
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Would've made him less effective IMO. I understand you prefer more 'aesthetically pleasing' styles, and I can totally see where you're coming from. But someones style cannot be criticised when it is proven as effective. It's a tough one, because Moon has such an 'anti-style'. With certain fighters you could say 'needs to prove less susceptible to right hands' or 'would've been more effective if he turned over his left hook better' but Moon is so one track mind and an utter destroyer but in such a horrible way it's hard to change anything without giving him a complete overhaul, and then we'd be talking about another fighter.
I don't think I'm criticizing his style, I'm just saying that I think Yuh was a better when we consider all factors. Power, technique, defensive ability, foot work, all of these things...I think Yuh comes out on top on most of them. But he never had the equalizer Moon possessed nor the physical strength.

Yup. I didn't know Moon had brain damage either. Not a fan of him, but that's a damn shame.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #100
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Some fighters just can't seem to do things, that in theory they should be doing given their style or talent level.calzaghe's appalling punching form being a great recent example.

Despite obviously doing a lot of work on his fundamentals and being able to deliver punches properly at last half the time, Yuh was obviously never really a great natural puncher.

Yet Moon couldn't throw a nice straight punch or textbook hook if his life depended on it.However the leverage thing was a natural talent he had anyway.
Mantequilla is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum