Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-13-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Ike Williams vs. Jose Napoles at 140

This would be one of pugilism's better bouts between two multi-talented boxer-punchers. Although, I'm inclined to lean toward Ike by virtue of Mantequilla's thin skin. Even with that, it's still close.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

Default Re: Ike Williams vs. Jose Napoles at 140

Wow great matchup! Mantequilla I believe meant 'smooth as butter' and Napoles sure was. If I remember coorectly Williams was a natural lighweight which makes Napoles the naturally larger man as a bonafide welterweight. Ike Williams was a muderous puncher and mean as a junkyard dog. I just have not seen enough footage of Napoles to make an educated guess. My intuition though tells me to pick Napoles because of his superior boxing skills and advantage in size.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Napoles would be too much even for Williams.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardu View Post
Wow great matchup! Mantequilla I believe meant 'smooth as butter' and Napoles sure was. If I remember coorectly Williams was a natural lighweight which makes Napoles the naturally larger man as a bonafide welterweight. Ike Williams was a muderous puncher and mean as a junkyard dog. I just have not seen enough footage of Napoles to make an educated guess. My intuition though tells me to pick Napoles because of his superior boxing skills and advantage in size.
Well, Napoles himself was a lightweight, and Williams beat Kid Gavilan, size wasn't such an issue for a multi-faceted fighter such as Williams (even moreso with Napoles, I rewatched his fight with Monzon this morning and had totally forgotten what a great account Napoles gave of himself up until the final round before he was pulled out, even then he proved how reliable his chin was) and I feel here they would both be in explosive form.

Assuming Napoles didn't learn how to box as he did when he moved up to Welter, I assume the bombing routine he goes through in the one fight of his I have at Lightweight (which has been posted here before) against Urbina (I think) was just something he felt more comfortable doing fighting at the lower weights, he was certainly more patient with his combinations at Welter, still so precise and deadly though.

So Napoles would be pretty big at 140 but not much more than Williams, who was notoriously strong and could fight AND box.

It would easy to say that Williams has the edge in power but I'm not sure he has that here. However, Williams' punches are so damaging, it's hard not to envision Napoles being cut/swollen, as Williams is going to tag him hard and often.

I just love Napoles radar-like head movement and how he finds counter oppurtunities and takes them without a seconds hesitation. His right uppercut in response to Ernie Lopez's right straight is a beautiful punch, thrown with exquisite form.

I think Napoles takes this, on points in a really bruising battle, Williams may well cut him up and stop him though. Williams will find huge resistance from Napoles in his punches, but that never dissuaded him when faced with Beau Jack.

Great matchup, I assume Tony Ayala beats Napoles at Junior-Middle though
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

You know, not as certain now

Both men have the ability to mix up their approach, both men have spite in their punches, and both men can throw combinations and single shots as well as each other.

Both men were very tough, and both men were fast handed. Both technical, and both can fight.

So whilst I do think there's a chance Napoles eeks out a close decision, there's also a chance that it goes the other way. Williams liked to throw, had a nice jab to set it all up, an can mix up his approach too (always annoys me when people think he was just a slugger)
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Sweet Pea
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I'd give Williams a chance on a cuts stoppage, but not much else. Not to say that it wouldn't be a competitive fight or anything, I just think Napoles was the more versatile, multi-skilled fighter.
Sweet Pea is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 11:26 AM   #7
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Napoles speed, jab and footwork give him the edge in landing his shots first and his power at the weight was just as brutal as Williams by the looks of things
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd favour Naploes he was meant to be even better at this weight then at welter.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 12-13-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
robert ungurean
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I ever so slightly favor Napoles.
robert ungurean is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum