Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #46
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: does marvin hagler defeat sugar ray leonard if fights i5 rounds..

At that point, the number of rounds was irrelevant. Hagler was finished.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #47
haglerforever
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

NO doubt ,hagler was not the fighter he was ,the hard fights with the undefeated beast mugabi, roldan,hearns, all while leonard was waiting for haglers age to slow him down to the point that he could outrun him and steal his belt.Leonard negotiated larger ring ,bigger gloves,and most importantly the 12 rounds.You could see leonard~s eyes at the bell rd 12 .Hagler would have dropped him.........
haglerforever is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #48
Ezzard
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I watched the fight wanting Leonard to win. Ray was the story and it was an amazing comeback to take on Hagler. I saw the fight live on CCTV. Everyone wanted Ray to win. After 10 rounds he'd made it competitive and proved his point BUT he was gone. I mean fighting on fumes. He ran and then opened up once cornered. I don't think he could have gone 15. I expected him to fall apart at any moment and so did everyone else.

Hagler would have got him over 15. Let's be fair though. I believe both Hearns and Mugabi fights were scheduled for 12 rounds also.
Ezzard is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #49
Imira
Vespertine...

Location: "A fighter should be able to employ a strategy of his choice and get a fair decision."

I've always wondered what possessed Hagler to come out in the first few rounds trying to box orthodox. What was his gameplan there? At best he let too many early rounds slip away. At worst, the first 4 rounds went straight to Leonard.

If it had been 15 rounds, I think Hagler would have been able to rally late and close the gap to win a decision. Maybe Leonard felt the same way, hence, the request for the 12 round distance.

I think Leonard won the fight, by the way...barely.
Imira is offline  Top
Old 12-14-2009, 01:13 AM   #50
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

Quote:
Originally Posted by haglerforever View Post
had bad feeling about this for years,I think Yes,hagler was not on his game that night but leonard would only fight in short bursts & then run.leonard was slowing down and hagler would haved KO`d sugar if there had not been unfortunate deaths and 15 shortened to 12 .any thoughts gents...??
Ray was tired in the 12th, but Ray was brilliant at pacing himself. If the fight was 15 originally, Ray would have fought differently to pace himself during the fight, but had you added 3 rounds at the end of the Hagler/Leonard fight the way they looked after that fight with Ray on the ropes, I think Hagler would have stopped Ray in round 14 or so.
MAG1965 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum