Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #1
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

vCash: 842
Default Myung-Woo Yuh vs De-Jesus I: Utterly one-sided.

This is supposedly one of Yuh's toughest tests during his title reign, and the scores were as follows at the end of it. Harold Lederman had it 114-111, and the other two had it 114-113, and 146-141. This is a prime example as to why Boxrec is only good for certain things, as this fight was even more one sided than Marco Antonio Barrera vs Naseem Hamed.

I had it 12-2 for Yuh, with the last minute of the final round being missing (a round Yuh was winning). These were not rounds you could have given either way, in fact, one or two of those rounds were so one sided they'd have been scored 10-8's today. I don't know what the judges were smoking to be perfectly honest with you, especially the 114-113. That is beyond lunacy.

Anyone else seen this fight and thought it was remotely close?
Addie is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Myung-Woo Yuh vs De-Jesus I: Utterly one-sided.

Pretty sure it was the rematch that was the competitive one.I'd need to find my yuh stuff and rewatch them, as i really can't remember much at all about either.Been at least four years since i watched them.Neither made much of an impression though, so i can't imagine it being too bad.

The Olivo and first Gamez fights were the most controversial of his reign, and the ones i remember as having thought could have maybe went either way.

Might be time to rewatch and score some of his stuff, like i did with Eubank.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
Pretty sure it was the rematch that was the competitive one.I'd need to find my yuh stuff and rewatch them, as i really can't remember much at all about either.Been at least four years since i watched them.Neither made much of an impression though, so i can't imagine it being too bad.

The Olivo and first Gamez fights were the most controversial of his reign, and the ones i remember as having thought could have maybe went either way.

Might be time to rewatch and score some of his stuff, like i did with Eubank.
I watched Gamez II earlier. Spanked him all over the shop.

I couldn't believe the size difference between Yuh and Olivio.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
Mantequilla
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah, i meant the first Gamez fight.the rematch might be his best effort.

Did you score the olivo fight?.
Mantequilla is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantequilla View Post
Yeah, i meant the first Gamez fight.the rematch might be his best effort.

Did you score the olivo fight?.
Watch this space. Going to watch it all in a bit and score it. Olivo looked like a Bantamweight in there.

I think I now know why a lot of people just think Yuh is a pressure fighter. A lot of his fights, against Olivo, Salazar, Ioka, and De-Jesus...they were all much taller, and Yuh had no chance outboxing them from distance so he had to make it ugly. If you look at some other fights, against Son, Ohyu, Tokushima,Tunon, among others..he was much more calm, precise and patient. He was a wonderful counter puncher, the left uppercut he kept planting on Ohyu was a thing of beauty.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 08:00 PM   #6
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Here are some of my Yuh scorecards:

I didn't score the first DeJesus fight, wasn't really a need.

Myung Woo Yuh vs. Joey Olivo: 145-142 Yuh
Olivo: 1,9,10,12 and 15.
Yuh: 2,3,4,5,8,11,13 and 14.
Rounds 6 and 7 even.

Myung Woo Yuh vs. Leo Gamez I: 116-113 Yuh
Gamez: 1,2,3 and 11.
Yuh: 4,5,6,7,9,10 and 12.
Round 8 even.

Myung Woo Yuh vs. Leo Gamez II: 117-113 Yuh
Gamez: 1,8 and 9.
Yuh: 2,3,4,5,7,10 and 12.
Round 6 and 11 even.

Myung Woo Yuh vs. Jose DeJesus II: 117-113 Yuh
DeJesus: 1,2 and 8.
Yuh: 3,5,6,9,10,11 and 12.
Rounds 4 and 7 even.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Here are some of my Yuh scorecards:

I didn't score the first DeJesus fight, wasn't really a need.

Myung Woo Yuh vs. Joey Olivo: 145-142 Yuh
Olivo: 1,9,10,12 and 15.
Yuh: 2,3,4,5,8,11,13 and 14.
Rounds 6 and 7 even.

Myung Woo Yuh vs. Leo Gamez I: 116-113 Yuh
Gamez: 1,2,3 and 11.
Yuh: 4,5,6,7,9,10 and 12.
Round 8 even.

Myung Woo Yuh vs. Leo Gamez II: 117-113 Yuh
Gamez: 1,8 and 9.
Yuh: 2,3,4,5,7,10 and 12.
Round 6 and 11 even.

Myung Woo Yuh vs. Jose DeJesus II: 117-113 Yuh
DeJesus: 1,2 and 8.
Yuh: 3,5,6,9,10,11 and 12.
Rounds 4 and 7 even.
There pretty clear mate. Why are these fights viewed as so controversial?
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There pretty clear mate. Why are these fights viewed as so controversial?
I suppose it only takes a subtle shift of perception sometimes to see matters differently.

But even as it stands, if you give Yuh's opponents the rounds I scored even, a few of those fights do end up being close.

You should give them a score yourself and see what you make of them, you may see them closer than I do - (though in the mind frame you're in at the moment, I doubt it ).
Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
I suppose it only takes a subtle shift of perception sometimes to see matters differently.

But even as it stands, if you give Yuh's opponents the rounds I scored even, a few of those fights do end up being close.

You should give them a score yourself and see what you make of them, you may see them closer than I do - (though in the mind frame you're in at the moment, I doubt it ).
Do you think Yuh was troubled by those guys because they were pretty good...but also because they were all a lot taller, with the exception of Gamez, who I felt was dished out a pretty harsh lesson in the rematch.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #10
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Haven't watched it in a while, but with DeJesus at least, I don't think it was really the height or reach that bothered him, as much as it was DeJesus' movement and refusal to engage on Yuh's terms. I think he pretty much made a stinker out of it in the rematch, and brought Yuh somewhat down to his level.

With Olivo (again haven't seen it in a while), height and reach might have been an issue. But I don't think Yuh was ever really comfortable with competent boxer types.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #11
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
Haven't watched it in a while, but with DeJesus at least, I don't think it was really the height or reach that bothered him, as much as it was DeJesus' movement and refusal to engage on Yuh's terms. I think he pretty much made a stinker out of it in the rematch, and brought Yuh somewhat down to his level.

With Olivo (again haven't seen it in a while), height and reach might have been an issue. But I don't think Yuh was ever really comfortable with competent boxer types.
The size difference between Olivo and Yuh was pretty extreme. Olivo could fight too, so that was always going to be a tricky match up. Are you assured that none of those fighst were robberies? I watched the Ioka rematch today...Yuh had lost a step I thought, but he clearly won.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 09:01 PM   #12
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
The size difference between Olivo and Yuh was pretty extreme. Olivo could fight too, so that was always going to be a tricky match up. Are you assured that none of those fighst were robberies? I watched the Ioka rematch today...Yuh had lost a step I thought, but he clearly won.
No robberies from what I've seen. The Olivo fight was probably the most competitive though and if someone scored that for Olivo again I probably wouldn't say it was a robbery, even though I feel there isn't a very good argument for it.

Olivo was a decent fighter, but you'd like to think Yuh, if he was all that good, would have had an easier time with him.

Like I said in the other thread, I do rate Yuh, but he lacked that one outstanding opponent to act as his litmus test. He got the better of everyone he fought, but no one ever really forced him to elevate his game and get all out of himself.

It's a pity he didn't come a little bit later and face a Carbajal or Gonzalez, becuase I think he would have beaten both and it would have really given him a legacy to talk about.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #13
Addie
MAB.
East Side VIP

Quote:
No robberies from what I've seen. The Olivo fight was probably the most competitive though and if someone scored that for Olivo again I probably wouldn't say it was a robbery, even though I feel there isn't a very good argument for it.

Olivo was a decent fighter, but you'd like to think Yuh, if he was all that good, would have had an easier time with him.

Like I said in the other thread, I do rate Yuh, but he lacked that one outstanding opponent to act as his litmus test. He got the better of everyone he fought, but no one ever really forced him to elevate his game and get all out of himself.

It's a pity he didn't come a little bit later and face a Carbajal or Gonzalez, becuase I think he would have beaten both and it would have really given him a legacy to talk about.
I'm a huge admirer of Yuh's skills (I think he was more talented than most give him credit for), but I'm not in-denial about his standing in history. He didn't beat one great fighter in his career, but I think his title defenses and the different sides to his game that he did show...do show that he was a great fighter in the context of his division. I also think he beats Carbajal and Gonzalez, and I also feel a Yuh vs Chang fight would have been competitive and it would have been absolutely brutal. Yuh never backed up from nobody.

Side note. I'm about to go and score Olivo, Gamez I, and De Jesus II. I'll have my scorecards tomorrow and perhaps we can have a good discussion. Thanks again for your insights Scientist.
Addie is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #14
Raging B(_)LL
KAPOW!!!
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I'm a huge admirer of Yuh's skills (I think he was more talented than most give him credit for), but I'm not in-denial about his standing in history. He didn't beat one great fighter in his career, but I think his title defenses and the different sides to his game that he did show...do show that he was a great fighter in the context of his division. I also think he beats Carbajal and Gonzalez, and I also feel a Yuh vs Chang fight would have been competitive and it would have been absolutely brutal. Yuh never backed up from nobody.
I agree with you completely on this. S_S made a good point that no one ever really forced Yuh to elevate his game and get all out of himself, but I believe that against Chang that is exactly what would have happened.

Yuh would have been hellbent on proving to the Korean public that he could hang with Chang and better yet beat him, and he would have pulled out all the stops and given it his all had they fought, of this I am certain.

Wether or not he would have won is another matter, but win or lose Yuh would have given Chang a very hard nights work, as you pointed out Yuh never backed away from anybody and he certainly wouldn`t have done so against Chang with so much national bragging rights and pride at stake.
Raging B(_)LL is offline  Top
Old 12-16-2009, 02:34 AM   #15
Boxed Ears
I love GOAT.
East Side VIP

vCash: 25999

Damn, you change avatars a lot.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum