boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-17-2009, 08:14 AM   #16
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ike Ibeabuchi, could he beat either of the BROS GRIM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic View Post
Ike Ibeabuchi was ****ing overrated, he was being outboxed by Chris Byrd and arguably lost to David Tua.

He wouldn't have gotten by Lennox Lewis.
Now you have got that off your chest.

Would you like to answer the question?
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2009, 08:24 AM   #17
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Now you have got that off your chest.

Would you like to answer the question?
The '99 version may have beaten that days Wladimir, nowadays Wlad is far too experienced for that Ike. And Vitali, being the superior boxer should outbox him from the outside like he's done so many other 6'2 boxers.

But yes, in '99, a W.Klitschko vs. Ike would've been very interesting, because thats the one time he should have a realistic shot, I just don't see Ike as being that great a boxer.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #18
Boxed Ears
Mirage Athleticism
East Side VIP

vCash: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
Or, he could've just as well had hitherto unseen limitations "exposed" by someone along the way and never recovered.

He showed some definite good qualities, but I think people do go way overboard estimating at what he "might've" been. As Pontius said, there were a lot of unanswered questions about him.

Personally, I thought the decision he got over Tua was somewhat debatable as well.
....That was sort of my point in saying "for all we know". That's the point, we'll never know. Fighters can make great improvements. Look at what Pacquiao went from between his draw with Marquez to his second fight with him, to now. Wlad from getting starched by Puritty to not losing a round against Ibragimov and Chagaev put together. Etc. We just don't know what he would have ended up as, just that he had great innate qualities.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #19
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Sense View Post
Or, he could've just as well had hitherto unseen limitations "exposed" by someone along the way and never recovered.

He showed some definite good qualities, but I think people do go way overboard estimating at what he "might've" been. As Pontius said, there were a lot of unanswered questions about him.

Personally, I thought the decision he got over Tua was somewhat debatable as well.
WELL he did catch up and blast out 1 of the divisions most skilled boxers and went toe-toe with the divisions biggest puncher. He also had excellent technique, speed, good defense, combination throwing, sharp puncher, good footwork and bodypuncher, aswell as being a physical beast with a hell of a chin

We didnt see him against a rangy jabber who may have been his foil but I do think he would find a way to pressure and get inside. he was certainly better at dealing with boxers than Byrd
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 08:50 AM   #20
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Ike had 20 fights before he was incarcerated. In those 20 fights he beat both Byrd and Tua. While I'll agree with M2Sense the Tua fight was close and could have gone either way, it was still a spectacular performance against a top notch Tua. Noone had fought Tua that successfully. Guys either boxed at range or got quickly KO'd. He also took the fight to Byrd and got him out of there, I dont know how you could call 5 rounds of Ike pressuring Byrd being completely outboxed when his gameplan paid off in less than half the fight? He wasnt trying to box at range, he was trying to get close to land combinations.
Neither Klitschko faced anything remotely close to a Tua or Byrd in their 17th or 20th fight, so to say the potential wasnt there is nuts. Had Wlad faced Ike around his 20th fight he'd probably be in big trouble, because Ike certainly had what it took in the chin and size department to get inside on either Klitschko. Where the questions arose were with Ike's ability to handle good boxers, and rumblings in the gym was thats what he needed the most work on.
Under the guidance of Curtis Coakes its certainly conceiveable that Ike would have improved that part of his game, but what he did against those two fighters who were at their respective best in my opinion, was very impressive for a figther with limited amatuer experience and 20 professional fights.
Before he went to jail Don King stole him away from Cedric Kushner, which ultimately led to Ikes incarceration, but he was very close to facing Evander Holyfield before the roof came caving in.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #21
Boxed Ears
Mirage Athleticism
East Side VIP

vCash: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
Ike had 20 fights before he was incarcerated. In those 20 fights he beat both Byrd and Tua. While I'll agree with M2Sense the Tua fight was close and could have gone either way, it was still a spectacular performance against a top notch Tua. Noone had fought Tua that successfully. Guys either boxed at range or got quickly KO'd. He also took the fight to Byrd and got him out of there, I dont know how you could call 5 rounds of Ike pressuring Byrd being completely outboxed when his gameplan paid off in less than half the fight? He wasnt trying to box at range, he was trying to get close to land combinations.
Neither Klitschko faced anything remotely close to a Tua or Byrd in their 17th or 20th fight, so to say the potential wasnt there is nuts. Had Wlad faced Ike around his 20th fight he'd probably be in big trouble, because Ike certainly had what it took in the chin and size department to get inside on either Klitschko. Where the questions arose were with Ike's ability to handle good boxers, and rumblings in the gym was thats what he needed the most work on.
Under the guidance of Curtis Coakes its certainly conceiveable that Ike would have improved that part of his game, but what he did against those two fighters who were at their respective best in my opinion, was very impressive for a figther with limited amatuer experience and 20 professional fights.
Before he went to jail Don King stole him away from Cedric Kushner, which ultimately led to Ikes incarceration, but he was very close to facing Evander Holyfield before the roof came caving in.
Holyfield and Ike? That would have been maybe an instant classic.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #22
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Real shame about Ike as he could've been a major player as the late 90's early 00's came around.

As previously mentioned, tough as nails, had a decent whack but wasn't too technical (though he wasn't a crazy Mayorga-esque slugger like some paint him as, he knew how to get the job done)

Personally I feel his stoppage of Byrd was more impressive than Wlads in terms of the effect Ike's punches clearly had on Byrd.

Wlad-Well, Ike seems like a nightmare opponent for him. I feel it's not how Ike would deal with Wlads skillset, but how Wlad could cope with pumping that jab out against an opponent who will gladly take it all night and will walk in in order to get his shots off.

I've always said; iron chin+decent whack=goodnight Wlad.

Vitali is sturdier and in terms of style a far more awkward porposition. I'd go for his effectiveness to win on points, and his chin bringing him through the rough stages; HOWEVER; he wouldn't put a dent in Ike.

Going via footage AND opposition, I think it's clear who the better/harder puncher is. Vitali hurt Lewis a few times but that was the unfocused Lewis that was beaten by Rahman (or at least a Lewis that was not completely prepared for fighting someone with Vitali's presence/style) the first time and he couldn't get the job done.
So-Prime for Prime-Ike>Wlad stoppage

Vitali>Ike points.

By the way, Evander vs Ike? What a s**** that would be, but around that time I think Holy would have enough to win a close points decision as Evander wouldn't just war it up, he'd be able to mix his approach and help himself through Ike's in-close power punching exchanges.
Flea Man is online now  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #23
amhlilhaus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBooze View Post
Ike was insane, he lacked the mental ability to compete with either brother.

wladimir is weak mentally as well. a guy coming after his ass and eating his shots scares the **** out of wladimir. not saying he could beat him but if he could take wlad's punches then wlads running scared all night.
amhlilhaus is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #24
Bummy Davis
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I thought Tua beat him and Tua was beatable. I thought IKe certainly had serious ability but his crazyness was his downfall. Mental weakness. At this point we can only guess but I think he would have been outpointed and fustrated by Vitali and Vlad did have some weak points coming up but the version now keeps IKE at the end of the jab until the right hand gets released...Ike looked like he had good whiskers...so from what I have seen of him he loses over 12 UD to both or RSC or refuses to come out like the previous steel chinned? Sam Peter
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #25
ramalinga
Contender
ESB Senior Member

The current version of Wlad would outbox Ike. A lot of people come up with how a semi - retired golfer KO'd Wlad without realizing how much of an advantage it was for Sanders that he was a semi - retired golfer. Wlad didn't even spar soutpaws and forget before the fight that Sanders was a southpaw, he spend more time promoting the fight than training. Wlad would never take Ike lightly.

And no 6'2 fighter without crazy speed beats Vitali. Ike was good, vut not fast enough against the super - sized HW's. His best wins came against the small Tua and Byrd, I don't see him beat skilled 6'5+ fighters.
ramalinga is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #26
MrMagic
Super Six
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by amhlilhaus View Post
wladimir is weak mentally as well. a guy coming after his ass and eating his shots scares the **** out of wladimir. not saying he could beat him but if he could take wlad's punches then wlads running scared all night.
Yeah, getting up from the canvas everytime you get knocked down and showing an ability to adapt and improve is a true sign of mental weakness, init?

****ing idiot.
MrMagic is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #27
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummy Davis View Post
I thought Tua beat him and Tua was beatable. I thought IKe certainly had serious ability but his crazyness was his downfall. Mental weakness. At this point we can only guess but I think he would have been outpointed and fustrated by Vitali and Vlad did have some weak points coming up but the version now keeps IKE at the end of the jab until the right hand gets released...Ike looked like he had good whiskers...so from what I have seen of him he loses over 12 UD to both or RSC or refuses to come out like the previous steel chinned? Sam Peter
When was Tua beatable the way Ike beat him?? Noone beat Tua by outslugging him. Again a sign of inexperience by the Nigerian in his 17th pro fight, but a showcase of how solid his chin and stamina were, setting a record for the most punches thrown in a heavyweight fight.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 03:19 PM   #28
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMagic View Post
Ike Ibeabuchi was ****ing overrated, he was being outboxed by Chris Byrd
Key word - Was.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 12-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #29
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Key word - Was.
Your ripostes are getting very sharp young man.
mcvey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum