Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-12-2009, 02:21 AM   #1
ripper13
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default help a fat boxing newbie

Hi, I'm a 23 year old, 5'8, 210lbs guy and I've recently taken up boxing to lose weight and improve my overall fitness and health. About a couple of months before I weighed in around 230-240 lbs and after an embarrassing episode of trying to climb up 10-story building using the stairs, I decided to do some running and go on a diet. So far I've been encouraged by the results and that's why I've taken up boxing in the hopes that it could help me reach my ideal weight (around 160-170 lbs, I have a pretty wide frame so I think that weight will be ideal for me). Can you please help me come up with a boxing routine that is challenging but not impossible for me to do to considering my low level of fitness? I go to the boxing gym about 3-4 times a week (that's my only free time for exercise because I go to work and I'm trying to finish my post-graduate studies) and should I also consider starting to lift weights along with my boxing training? How about protein shakes and all that other stuff? Any tips or advice would be very welcome. Thanks.
ripper13 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2009, 03:35 AM   #2
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Default Re: help a fat boxing newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper13 View Post
Can you please help me come up with a boxing routine that is challenging but not impossible for me to do to considering my low level of fitness? I go to the boxing gym about 3-4 times a week (that's my only free time for exercise because I go to work and I'm trying to finish my post-graduate studies) and should I also consider starting to lift weights along with my boxing training? How about protein shakes and all that other stuff? Any tips or advice would be very welcome. Thanks.
Can you please pay me to design you said program.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Zaryu
Belt holder
ESB Addict

No protein shakes, just keep joggin and walking, adjust your diet and eat after you exercise. Drink water regularly and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Keep going to the boxing gym as much as you can. I'm not sure what to tell you because I don't know what you're doing, but it's always good to shadowbox, hit the punching bag, jump rope and work your abs and lower back. You could start lifting weights but if you don't have much time as of now to go to the boxing gym I suggest you dedicate your time to boxing and cardio. However if you do lift weights understand it might slow down your weight because you might also start building muscle which is heavier than fat, it doesn't mean you stopped burning fat. I'm not an expert I'm just talking about what I've personally seen work, good luck.
Zaryu is offline  Top
Old 12-12-2009, 01:23 PM   #4
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
Can you please pay me to design you said program.
No of course not
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 02:24 AM   #5
Adaptation
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1008

Kid, no protein shake, all veggies&lean meat and roadwork, long shadowboxing/baghitting session. No need for pumping iron at this point. Work your but off on the treadmill, the bag and lots of shadowboxing. Come back once you reach 175lbs-ish.
Adaptation is offline  Top
Old 12-18-2009, 02:37 AM   #6
Dan
BiG DaN
ESB Jr Member

do u mean specific boxing routine? dont they have trainers there?
also a training log is a good motivation tool
Dan is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
GregDempsey

vCash:

if your working out on your own..heavybag...but shot for goals..like if your going 3 mintue rounds..try for 100 punches a round...add more...do more rounds....push your self....jump rope is good....my advice...first week...3 rounds of 2 mintue heavybag....6 mintues straight of jump rope, 3 mintues of speed bag. Second week, 4 rounds of 2 min heavybag, 9 minutes jump rope, 2 3 min rounds of speed bag. 3 week, 3 3 mintue rounds of heavy, 10 mintues of jump, 3 3 mintue rounds of speed bag, 4 th week you kick it up, 6 rounds of 3 min heavy, 15 min jump rope, and 11 mins straight of speed bag...next week do the same, next week, add in push ups, sit ups, if you have a partner medicine ball...stay at that for another 2 weeks..then mitt work 3 3 mintue rounds before you do heavybag

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing