Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-14-2009, 05:50 AM   #16
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 700
Default Re: 4th fight vid

Hey mate, umm yeh I only watched the first round. My advice.

1. Stop bouncing around all the time. Two reasons... 1: You aren't a quick puncher so don't bother rolling and throwing, it's easy to see you coming. 2: Wastes energy, precious energy that you look like you had little of.

2. DROPPING YOUR HANDS!! You need to tape one hand to your head so you learn to keep it there. Tape your right hand up and use only your left in 1st round of sparring, so it will help you be more accurate, stop wasting your time throwing lots of feints, makes you more wary too. Next round tape your left hand up etc. After a few training sessions you can remove the tape but keep only using one hand. It'll teach you to keep that friggin hand up when you punch.

3. Learn to put the pressure on. If you watch the fighter with the blue gloves he has much better technique than you and he knows it so he doesn't have to put the pressure on he just plays to your technique.

In the end its your technique that lets you down so badly. But keep it up mate, boxing is a precarious sport. It often takes a few fights to get your groove and find what works for you, maybe you were just nevous. Good for you for posting vids up though!
OZ Puncher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2009, 06:06 AM   #17
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Long time no see OZ Puncher
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 12-15-2009, 04:10 AM   #18
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Long time no see OZ Puncher
Yeh well the flock wanted their favourite Shephard back.

Still arguing with Scurlaruntings?
Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 AM   #19
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Puncher View Post
Still arguing with Scurlaruntings?
We seem to be agreeing a lot lately
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 02:29 AM   #20
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
We seem to be agreeing a lot lately
Uhuh, well thats a first...

I have got a bit of research data too RDJ, I did a lot of weight training when I quit boxing, not for size either but for strength and power.

Results were..

Original weight = 67 kg New weight = 88 kg.
Bench press at start was 85 kg by 2. New is 125 by 1.
Squats were 80 kg for sets of 3 x 8, to 140 kg to 5 sets of 5.
Curls were 17.5 3 x 8, new 25 kg 3 x 8.

I improved almost 150 + %. Functional power lifting etc I was doing. And I got a mate to measure the movement in the heavy bag at my gym before my weights. It moved about 700 mm. Same bag and same position etc measured the movement and was about 550 - 600 mm. And my trainer said I'd lost a lot speed and power and didn't hit as hard anymore.

So EVERYBODY unless you have a real sports trainer and dedicated team, don't bother doing weights, it negatively impacts on boxing.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:34 AM   #21
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ Puncher View Post
Uhuh, well thats a first...

I have got a bit of research data too RDJ, I did a lot of weight training when I quit boxing, not for size either but for strength and power.

Results were..

Original weight = 67 kg New weight = 88 kg.
Bench press at start was 85 kg by 2. New is 125 by 1.
Squats were 80 kg for sets of 3 x 8, to 140 kg to 5 sets of 5.
Curls were 17.5 3 x 8, new 25 kg 3 x 8.

I improved almost 150 + %. Functional power lifting etc I was doing. And I got a mate to measure the movement in the heavy bag at my gym before my weights. It moved about 700 mm. Same bag and same position etc measured the movement and was about 550 - 600 mm. And my trainer said I'd lost a lot speed and power and didn't hit as hard anymore.

So EVERYBODY unless you have a real sports trainer and dedicated team, don't bother doing weights, it negatively impacts on boxing.
Lifting weights doesn't make you slow, its the fact you were out of boxing for however long that made you slow down and lose power. Plus the fact you obviously weren't weight training for boxing.

For about the 50th time on this forum - weights can improve strength, speed and stamina if used correctly. The fact you've put your curl numbers down suggests you didn't weight train for boxing.

Last edited by viru§™; 12-20-2009 at 07:37 AM.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2009, 12:37 AM   #22
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I did weight train for boxing actually Virus. The numbers were for result statistics not what I did. I did a lot of functional exercises, compound exercises and altered it to employ explosive movements in all the phases of the exercise. Do you mind telling me how doing these exercises is not done correctly or for sport?

I don't believe I said it doesn't increase strength thats just stupid cos the before and after shows significant improvement in strength. As for building speed, that is crap. You trying to tell me that a Light welterweight using weight training to get to Welter can punch faster than before in peak shape? I don't believe weights can train your stamina any better than any exercises, how is doing light repetition squats and lunges and better than jump squats and jumping jacks etc without plate weights?

Those are my results, i didn't lose too much speed in terms of running speed, but the increased muscle mass certainly slows one down in the ring.
Old 12-21-2009, 12:40 AM   #23
OZ Puncher
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Lifting weights doesn't make you slow, its the fact you were out of boxing for however long that made you slow down and lose power. Plus the fact you obviously weren't weight training for boxing.

For about the 50th time on this forum - weights can improve strength, speed and stamina if used correctly. The fact you've put your curl numbers down suggests you didn't weight train for boxing.

Im glad you read my whole post virus.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:52 AM   #24
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

After watching this vid, im more determined to correct my flaws more than ever. Thanks for the input guys.
SweetScience is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing