Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #1
andyZOR
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 823
Default The most unlucky fighters?

If theres two fighters that I consider to be very unucky, I would have to go with Jameel McCline and Andrew Golota. Why? Lets recap, ill start with McCline.

After beating Shannon "The Cannon" Briggs to a UD, He got his first title shot. He was set to face Wladamir Klitschko for the WBO title. Now, this is the only fight I haven't seen of McCline's when it comes to title shots, but by the looks of things, he got donimnated by the big Ukrainian. I don't blame him tho, Klitschko is a tough guy to beat. McCline lost via 10 round KO.

His second title shot witch I saw live was with Chris Byrd for the IBF on the Golota - Ruiz undercard. This was not a bad fight overall. I really thought McCline would finish him off. McCline knockdown Byrd in the second, but just didn't have the ability really to finish him off. The fight continued to the score cards, and I belive McCline had a good shot at winning. The bout went to Byrd by SD. A bout witch a lot of people sya McCline would and should of won.

McCline's third title shot was against the Russian Nickolay Valuev for the WBA title. This was also one of the heavyest fights in history, if not the heavyest. With almost 600 pounds in the ring, excluding the referee. I seen thsi fight. I scored the first and second rounds to McCline. He was the mosre active, and even gave the big man some flush shots. Third round came, McCline suffered a knee injury. The bout was declared a TKO victory for Valuev. In all seriousness, I belive McCline would have won a UD if he fought the way he did in both rounds 1 and 2. He even gave Valuev some troubles. But this was not the case. McCline's glass knee let him down.

McCline's most recent title shot (4th)was for the WBC Interm title v Sam Peter. At this point, McCline is pissed, I mean, who wouldn't be after fighting for 3 major heavyweight title belts and just comming out short at the end? I know McCline had adredaline rushing threw him, and I can tell that he really wanted to win that belt, witch could be his last title shot. I predicted the fight a UD for McCline. I was bashed a bit here on ESB for thinking that, but I really thought he could have won. First round McCline came out strong. Second round, he actually drops the so called "iron-chinned" Peter in a impressive fashion, with a nice uppercut right on Peters chin. Round 3. McCline came attacking again. Stuns Peter, and knocks him down with a combination of punches. Peter looked stunned indeed. Peter at this point is trying to survive, wobbling, and having unsteady legs. For the third time in the fight, Peter is down. At this point, im thinking McCline will finish him. Peter recovered, and went on to win a UD over McCline.

McCline had the potential to beat Byrd, Peter, and Valuev with ease. Yet he came up short. How unlucky can a fighter be? Knocking down the current champions, and landing flush shots on the Big Russian Valuev, yet he came short every time.

Golota.

After Golota's wars with Bowe, a matchup with Lewis for the WBC championship was offered. Lewis came out strong, and basically destroyed Golota with flush shots in the first round. Golota hit the canvas 3 times, til the fight was called off. The pressure this man had, just couldn't keep him to his fighting abilities like the fights with Bowe. The mentality of Golota lost him this fight as well as with Bowe. In my opinion, Golota "could" (key word) have beaten both of them with ease. Those guys didn't beat Golota, the mentally unstabled Golota beat himself.

After a couple fights in 2003, Golota was once again in the title picture. This time he was set to fight Chris Byrd for the IBF championship. This was a great fight indeed. Golota hit Byrd with great shots, and seemed to be a bit stabled, and was controlling most of the fight. Golota in my eyes, and in many other peoples eyes, especially on this forum, won this fight clearly. The fight went to the cards and the bout was declared a Draw. Many thought he won, but he came up short once again. Golota asked for a rematch with Byrd, and he declined.

At this point Golota is just mad at the fact he didn't win the IBF title witch he deserved. Then Don King offered Golota a title shot for the WBA champion, Jawny Ruiz. Round 2, Golota hit him with a flush right hand, and dropped Ruiz. Ruiz got up, and was knocked down again by a nice right hand, and what seemed to be a push, but still considered a knockdown. Ruiz did what he always does, grab and hug and cheating his way to vicotry. And win he did. In my eyes, and most people that watched this fight, thought Golota deserved the descision. Golota basically got cheated in this fight. The fact that Ruiz gets away from the dirty style he displays in fights, is still a mystery to me.

Don King offered another title shot for Golota. This time for the WBO title v Lamon Brewster. A fight in witch Golota was the favorite. Golota at this point must be extremly pist over the fact he got screwed over his last 2 title shots. From the begining of round 1 in this fight, Brewster dominated Golota. Golota hit the canvas 3 times, and Brewster won by KO. The mentality of the big Pole came back to haunt him. He could have won, but just got embarassed by the champ Brewster. Brewster beat Golota in a mear 53 seconds.

Golota is 3-1-0 in Title fights.
McCline is 4-0-0 in Title fights.

What unlucky guys. Two fighters who went on to knockdown thier opponents, dominated the fights, or just got simply beat by the better man.
Both of these guys had the ability and could of beaten the champs, but they always got the short end of the stick.

I think these guys should fight each other tbh. A fight between both of these guys to determine who gets their 5th and final title shot of their careers. These guys have the ability to beat almost all of the current champions imo.

A title eliminator between these two would be good. But I don't think at this point. I think Golota needs one more fight before fighting for a title, to clear his mind and get the aspect of fighting again. With the Heavyweight division a mess today, these guys could definatly get another title shot.
andyZOR is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Brickhaus
Packs the house
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: The most unlucky fighters?

No, other than the knee (which was unlucky), Golota and McCline shot themselves in the foot by being unconditioned or making huge mental lapses. Emmanuel Augustus or Glen Johnson would be unlucky, Golota and McCline have reaped what they have sown.
Brickhaus is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Andrew Golota gets countless opportunity and always manages to mess it up. He creates his own "bad luck".

Guys like Sam Langford, Jimmy Bivins, and Harry Willis fit the category.

I might add Ike Quartey because he never got the benefit of the doubt in close fights, but if the guy should've fought more often anyway. And he still got big (or semi-big) money fights after the close decisions that didn't go his way.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
SteveO
MSW
ESB Addict

vCash: 1040

I don't think McCline could have sustained the pace against Valuev. IF he had been able to, he could have UD'ed him or MD'ed him. Second to Augustus for being unlucky. His career is truly that of a true fighter: on short notice, in shape, in the opponent's backyard, hometown judging etc. That's the type of guy he is.
SteveO is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 04:38 PM   #5
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

I dont see both as being unlucky, I would say niether fighter capitalized on there opertunities, Golota especially.
Punisher33 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 05:59 PM   #6
jimmie
Champion
East Side Guru

Fernando Vargas should be added.
jimmie is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 06:03 PM   #7
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmie
Fernando Vargas should be added.
It wasn't bad luck.

He just wasn't quite good enough for the likes of Tito, Oscar, and Shane.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 06:09 PM   #8
klion22
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 8472

I remember watching the Forrest/Quartey fight a few years ago and all of the compubox number and the announcers had Quartey winning by a good margin. And the decision went to Forrest. He was robbed in that one.
klion22 is online now  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #9
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pngo
Tyson was unlucky
He was unlucky against Danny Williams thats for sure, he almost had him out of there in the 1st round and then he ended up ****ing up his knee.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #10
mattress
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1618

Herol Graham. Great fighter who should have won a World title. Low blows and getting ktfo cost him dearly. Shame.
mattress is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #11
Punisher33
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Not only unlucky with some matches he had. unlucky with alot of shit that happened in his life
your right, I was only thinking about the fights that happend in the ring.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:24 PM   #12
mattress
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1618

Quote:
Not only unlucky with some matches he had. unlucky with alot of shit that happened in his life
You make own luck in my book. I admit that his early years were shit but as an adult he was the master of his own demise.
mattress is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 06:36 PM   #13
gambleer
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Whitaker was robbed sometimes (Ramirez, Chavez), as well as DLH (Trinidad, Mosley II, not robery at all) and Quartey.
gambleer is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 07:14 PM   #14
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Buddy McGirt...came at the time of Pernell and Meldrick...what a fighter one of my all time faves
chimba is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 07:38 PM   #15
standing 8countboxing
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He isn't on as big a level as the guys previously mentioned, but my pick is Victor Polo. Polo fought for world titles five times. Three of those fights were determined by SD's and a MD. He had one last shot against Marquez, but was dominated and then retired.
standing 8countboxing is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum