Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-18-2009, 06:23 PM   #1
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118
Default Rank These Slick Heavyweights

Do any of them fit into a Top 50 heavyweights list? If so, where. More importantly, why.

Chris Byrd

Jimmy Young

Jimmy Ellis

Tony Tubbs
Russell is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #2
amhlilhaus
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Rank These Slick Heavyweights

tubbs would be the only questionable top 50 guy.
amhlilhaus is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #3
Sardu
RIP Mr. Bun: 2007-2012
ESB Addict

1. Young - defeated Foreman (one of only two besides Ali) in his first career. Many felt he also may have beaten Norton and Ali. Decisioned Lyle twice. Had a draw with Shavers.
2. Ellis - Had contraversial win over Patterson to win the interim HW title while Ali was in exhile. Defeated Quarry over 15. Battled with Ali until getting stopped in the 12th in 71.' Destroyed by Smoking Joe in 70' and 75.' Beat Bonavena and Leotis Martin.
3. Byrd - Victories over V.Klitschko and Tua among others.
4. Tubbs - He could really move and was very light on his feet and quick. Succumbed to the lore of cocaine and squandered any real potential he had. Beat Greg Page in his best win IMO.
Sardu is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2009, 02:29 AM   #4
Buddy87
Journeyman

vCash: 500

I've seen them all fight, unfortunately since I'm only 22 I haven't had the privledge to view enough of there fights, just the low lights of there career taking on champions. However I can tell you a little about Chris Byrd.

The man fell short against two great opponents, Ike Ibeabuchi and Wladamir Klitschko. Ike Ibeabuchi is no joke for any of you boxing aficionados who want to learn how to deal with a man that counter punches, this man right here could teach you the way! punches and punches come by and suddenly the left uppercut came at the right time to snap his head back so baldy that a gallon of spit came flying from his mouth. The young man from Flint despite having his number in showed tremendous heart still wanting to fight.

Fights against David Tua, Evander Holyfield, Vitali Klitschko and a draw with the ever fierce andrew Golota are great names to throw out. Post Heavyweight career when I talked to his father about him moving down in weight his response was. "We told him not to do it and he still didn't listen to us!" to keep it short..he pulls off a Roy Jones Jr. drained himself from heavyweight back to light heavyweight and failed.

Overall I think he could make it to the top 100 boxers of all time just falling not too far behind the 50 category, he is a great fighter afterall for such a big man who looked so small with the heavyweights today.
Buddy87 is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2009, 11:36 AM   #5
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Young had his moments after a rough start learned defence as a sparring partner and getting thrown in early on. Most felt he beat Ali and Norton but his other big wins were over Foreman and Lyle and a draw with Shavers. If he had Larry Holmes promoter history may have been a lot more fair to his legasy. However a fighter Like Joe Frazier, Marciano, Tyson would have broken him down over 12-15
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 12-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post
Do any of them fit into a Top 50 heavyweights list? If so, where. More importantly, why.

Chris Byrd

Jimmy Young

Jimmy Ellis

Tony Tubbs
Chris Byrd
Jimmy Young
(close , maybe even a tie)

who cares qbout the other two , they are far behind , who did they ever beat ?
anyway :
ellis is above tubbs but it may be close too.
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 02:21 PM   #7
Frazier Hook
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell View Post

Chris Byrd

Jimmy Young

Jimmy Ellis

Tony Tubbs
Young most certainly should make a top 50 Heavyweight list. His wins over Foreman, Ron Lyle, Jose Luis Garcia, aswell as his draw with Shavers and what most think his robbery lost to Ali. Cerment his place in a top 50 list, probaly even a top 40 list.

Byrd probaly. At around 45 to 50......Has some pretty good wins at the weight Viatli Klitschko, David Tua, Evander Holyfield.

Tubbs, doutfull. Never beat many great names and never even defended his title. So many more Heavyweights worthy of a slot in the top 50.

Jimmy Eliis, is a hard one. Holds wins over Patterson, Bonavena, Quarry, Chuvalo, and Leos Martin. Which are greats wins, but lost most of his significant fights. But if I seen him in a top 50, I wound't complain.

Lot of hard decisions here. So many great Heavyweights over the years. A top 50 list would get filled up pretty quick.....
Frazier Hook is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum