Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #16
cjgloves
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Location: Do you wanna know the truth? You can't handle the truth!
vCash: 223
Default Re: Just got ruined in 1st sparring session

The first time I went to the gym I was 15 and I went with two twins who where 17 and this 14 year old (who weighed more). The twins invited me I think wanting to beat me up they had all been boxing for about a year already. So I got in with one of them and I threw a left hook to the body and he had to stop and get out. Then the 14 year old got in and I done the exact same and he had to stop. I thought this was great and I'm brilliant.

Then later on in the night I was put in with this older lad I think hes 18-19, well it was my first ever time boxing so I didnt have a gum shield yet and my two front teeth have a cap on the ends from where I wore them down over the years before I had braces. Anyway this cunt bashed me around and then knocked my caps of the teeth!

A couple months past and I could feel that I had improved alot after constant sparring and training, well anyway I got in with the 18-19 year old again and I done alot better it wasnt a one sided beat down I was holding my own, even winning the rounds.

Point being that first times are tough you do get beat, even teeth broken!! However just keep training and try to improve as much as you can. After each week you will notice how much you've improved, keep going back and going over things. Good luck.
cjgloves is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2009, 12:57 PM   #17
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
See you probably realise yourself its done you good in a way? You are no longer kidding yourself and you seem to have the right attitude now to learn! Which is very important imo
Yeah, it's an eye opener alrite! Now imma train my goolies off and i will be p4p #1..... at my gym at least
Smudger is offline  Top
Old 12-21-2009, 08:38 PM   #18
GregDempsey

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
So annoyed! I sparred a couple other guys, all more experienced than me and did ok although i think that if they wanted to they could've hurt me, but this one fella was just too good. He hit me hard and good, im marked up a bit round my eye, just whenever i went in he'd just come back bish, bosh, bash and i couldn't do **** all. Is it normal to be pretty clueless 1st time out, i mean i've been taught how to block, slip, parry etc but when it came to it i froze. Did i bottle it or is that normal? One major thing i found was when i covered up i found i was looking pretty much at the floor obviously not seeing his punches so i need to address that.
usually unless your somekind of super gifted gentic freak. i remember years ago i boxed a guy who was 19, i was 24, i had been boxing for a year, he played football for a semi pro football team...also was 30 pounds of muscle heavier then me....had boxed some as a young kid..had been training for about 5 weeks..and had been sparring for about a week..since then he went on to win pa golden gloves..and is now a pro heavy at 11 wins and 1 loss,....i really didnt do anything wth boxing, but never wanted too..anyhow..i wasnt a great boxer..but when we sparred that time..and for the next month or so..i kicked his ass a good bit...so dont feel bad...but hopefully you have good trainers who wont like guys tee off on you....you dont want to be getting really beaten down in sparring....

Good Luck too you.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #19
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Its pretty normal. You cant expect to be like Floyd Mayweather or Roy Jones in your first sparring session.
SweetScience is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 08:26 AM   #20
ozziebattler
Shadow Boxer
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
So annoyed! I sparred a couple other guys, all more experienced than me and did ok although i think that if they wanted to they could've hurt me, but this one fella was just too good. He hit me hard and good, im marked up a bit round my eye, just whenever i went in he'd just come back bish, bosh, bash and i couldn't do **** all. Is it normal to be pretty clueless 1st time out, i mean i've been taught how to block, slip, parry etc but when it came to it i froze. Did i bottle it or is that normal? One major thing i found was when i covered up i found i was looking pretty much at the floor obviously not seeing his punches so i need to address that.

All good mate..

I got the shit beating out of me the 1st time round..Headache for a week busted nose..

Mate 2nd time round i knew what 2 expect and relaxed more and showed some progress..

Its all time mate..
ozziebattler is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 08:54 AM   #21
TommyV
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1987

Quote:
mean i've been taught how to block, slip, parry etc but when it came to it i froze. Did i bottle it or is that normal?
Absolutely normal, don't worry about it. You can learn all the techniques in the world, but they won't come to fluidity until you get used to the intensity of being in the ring.

Don't worry about it, keep your head up and keep getting in the ring and you will find yourself improving. You'll get more accustomed to being in there and with enough time and sparring, the types of things you learn outside of the ropes will become second-nature inside them.
TommyV is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 09:52 AM   #22
Carnage
KingFroch
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2556

Good! Thanks for these stories! Can't say I got owned the other day, but I was very apprehensive! I suppose its like anything done for the first time! Probably happened to the best of boxers also!
Carnage is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #23
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

****ing christmas lol won't be able to go again til the 7th of jan. I'll just have to make do with the shitty bag in my room
Smudger is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #24
sluggersmith

vCash: 500

Quote:
Ok, you have had some time to read the feedback on your post.

What I would like to hear is when is your next spar, what are you going to do differently and what are you doing in the mean time to become a better boxer?
sluggersmith is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 09:44 PM   #25
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Good questions Next time I PLAN to stay calm and focussed. I was also a bit reluctant to throw anything because I would just be picked apart, this time I think I'll keep to the basic stuff instead of trying to outbox people which I'm just not good enough to do yet. The priority for me though is to stay calm I think.
Like i said i won't be back training til the 7th so til then i will do the usual running along with the old push ups, chin ups, pull ups, crunches, leg raises, those leg things where you sit against a wall (can't remember the name), calf raises etc a couple times a week and do some shadow boxing and bag work. Not a lot else I can do unfortunately.
Smudger is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing