Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #1
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450
Default Sherk's Appeal ?

Does anyone know when his appeal takes place? The guy won the belt a year ago and has defended it only once due to injury and a pos steroid test. if this goes much longer I think it's time for an interm title fight. He has held up the division long enough and alot of guys have earned their shot and will be waiting in limbo because of this.
AJAX is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
geppy
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2166
Default Re: Sherk's Appeal ?

He should consider changing his nickname " The Muscle Shark ", it will just brings attention to his steroid use now.
geppy is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1550

The case or w/e is gona be reviewed Oct 9 or around there.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 09:32 PM   #4
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

actually I just found it, on UFC rumours it says Penn-Joe Stevenson on UFC 79 is possible if Sherk losses his appeal on Oct.31.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 10-08-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

I dont know maybe because hes buff?
chimba is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 08:28 AM   #6
Donut62
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Oct. 31 is his hearing. If he wins his appeal, he fights BJ on UFC 79, if he loses, BJ fight Joe Daddy for the title. I've heard that Sherk has taken a clean test since, and has passed an official state administered lie detector test. It should be interesting what evidence he brings. I don't think anyone has won an appeal after testing positive yet.
Donut62 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Im not sure if he uses steroids. Athletes testorone or w/e is a lot higher either way. Looking how he trains as he does might increase it a little more perhaps? I mean he BARELY didn't pass it. Gracie was like 6 times over.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 04:59 PM   #8
Donut62
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ufoalf
Im not sure if he uses steroids. Athletes testorone or w/e is a lot higher either way. Looking how he trains as he does might increase it a little more perhaps? I mean he BARELY didn't pass it. Gracie was like 6 times over.
This isn't testosterone, it's metabolites of nandrolone, which is the byproduct of the use of the steroid Nandrolone, also known as Decadurablin. This doesn't replace a hormone produced in the body and is not something than should be present naturally in any more than very trace amounts. The threshold of testing is merely there to absolutely make sure any nandrolone introduced to the body system from contaminated foods (milk and many meat products are steroid fed), supplements, and contact with other contaminates in the testing process do not register a false positive. The testing limit is rather generous and coming in over that is almost a sure sign of illegal supplement use.

Nathan Marquardt tested at about the same level as Sherk, and it was found that an over the counter pro hormone (still legal at the time) Andro caused his reading. He wasn't aware it was banned, but that does not matter and he still served a suspension, albeit much lighter than others have gotten. It's possible the same thing might have happened with Sherk and his large supplement routine.

Last edited by Donut62; 10-09-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Donut62 is offline  Top
Old 10-09-2007, 10:40 PM   #9
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Gotcha, was too lazy to look up wtf they look for in those tests. Thx.

From what i was told athletes have more of it in their body than average people. So, Im just not excluding a possibility that he might not have been using steroids. Basicly Im still being naive.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 08:38 AM   #10
Donut62
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I agree, there is a chance, but I think he will have one hell of a time proving it. The most likely scenario to clear him of steroid use is proving that a supplement he was taking, some sort of pro hormone that slipped through the ban like superdrol, caused the positive. It is still a banned substance and he would still have to serve a suspension and probably be stripped, though since it would not be an illegal drug the comission would be lenient.

Nandrolone does occur naturally in the body, but the levels are extremely, extremely low. Athletes who train hard do have higher levels, but the Olympic comittee calls anything over 2ng/ml a positive test. There have been a few cases of people exceeding that 2ng/ml naturally over the years, but never more than 5ng/ml. The NSAC comission uses a level of 6ng/ml. So Sherk would have to be a genetic freak above and beyond any Olympic athlete of the past 30 years or so to register a 12 and not be from use of a banned substance.
Donut62 is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 09:43 AM   #11
concrete sledge
Lord of the quislings
ESB Full Member

Sherk is a BORING fighter to watch. This is because he relies heavily on his wrestling and it creates boring matches. However, he does get the job done. His only losses coming from GSP and Matt Hughes.

I definitely don't look forward to his fights because his style creates a snooze-fest.
concrete sledge is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 12:10 PM   #12
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut62
I agree, there is a chance, but I think he will have one hell of a time proving it. The most likely scenario to clear him of steroid use is proving that a supplement he was taking, some sort of pro hormone that slipped through the ban like superdrol, caused the positive. It is still a banned substance and he would still have to serve a suspension and probably be stripped, though since it would not be an illegal drug the comission would be lenient.

Nandrolone does occur naturally in the body, but the levels are extremely, extremely low. Athletes who train hard do have higher levels, but the Olympic comittee calls anything over 2ng/ml a positive test. There have been a few cases of people exceeding that 2ng/ml naturally over the years, but never more than 5ng/ml. The NSAC comission uses a level of 6ng/ml. So Sherk would have to be a genetic freak above and beyond any Olympic athlete of the past 30 years or so to register a 12 and not be from use of a banned substance.
Ok, that definetaly clears everything up for me now. So Gracie registered at 60ng/ml or something ridiculous like that?
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 12:14 PM   #13
iksrtfo
Jedi Knight of Poon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut62
This isn't testosterone, it's metabolites of nandrolone, which is the byproduct of the use of the steroid Nandrolone, also known as Decadurablin. This doesn't replace a hormone produced in the body and is not something than should be present naturally in any more than very trace amounts. The threshold of testing is merely there to absolutely make sure any nandrolone introduced to the body system from contaminated foods (milk and many meat products are steroid fed), supplements, and contact with other contaminates in the testing process do not register a false positive. The testing limit is rather generous and coming in over that is almost a sure sign of illegal supplement use.

Nathan Marquardt tested at about the same level as Sherk, and it was found that an over the counter pro hormone (still legal at the time) Andro caused his reading. He wasn't aware it was banned, but that does not matter and he still served a suspension, albeit much lighter than others have gotten. It's possible the same thing might have happened with Sherk and his large supplement routine.
From what I just read in grappling the natural amount in a person would register a 6 and Sherk registered a 12.
iksrtfo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum