Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-29-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
trip09

vCash: 500
Default Newbie to the site and boxing

Hello folks. I'm taking a beginner "class" next week in the art of boxing. I'm 32 years old and in pretty decent shape, but I'm looking for something a little more interesting to keep me working out and focused. Plus, well dont tell my wife, but I'm looking forward to stepping in the ring and learning whatever I can and see how far I can go.

Obviously I have a lot of questions as I am brand new but I think my biggest concern up front is my speed. I play softball all summer and fall and while I'm not the slowest guy to run the bags, I'm far from the fastest. I know running and boxing are two totally different concepts and even a different type of cardio, but how much do you guys think a lack of that type of speed will affect me in the ring and is it something I can develop?

Thanks guys. I cant wait to start learning all of this and picking your brains for knowledge.

trip
trip09 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075
Default Re: Newbie to the site and boxing

Go to the class first mate, concentrate your best on learning the technique and skill side of it and speed and power come after. Work hard and enjoy it
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2009, 07:44 PM   #3
trip09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboy2007 View Post
Go to the class first mate, concentrate your best on learning the technique and skill side of it and speed and power come after. Work hard and enjoy it
THanks for the quick response. I'm going to go see what their Wednesday class is all about but I've got some other stuff going on so I cant stay the whole time.

We dont have many boxing clubs in the area so once I get some experience I will be training at home a lot. They spar two nights a week as well as the class on Wednesday. I'm not even sure what to expect but I'm sure I will know after tomorrow night.
trip09 is offline  Top
Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
El Puma
between rage and serenity
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

So.....can we start greeting the newbs here like we do in the lounge?
El Puma is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2009, 12:41 AM   #5
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

no
cheech is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2009, 01:11 AM   #6
El Puma
between rage and serenity
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech View Post
no
damn you
El Puma is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
trip09

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Puma View Post
damn you
Well, now I'm curious. Going to check out a training session tonight. I'm stoked.
trip09 is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Johnboy2007
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1075

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip09 View Post
Well, now I'm curious. Going to check out a training session tonight. I'm stoked.
enjoy let us know how you get on
Johnboy2007 is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2010, 09:49 PM   #9
trip09

WEll, due to weather and my ever changing schedule, I finally made it to watch the boxing class this evening. There were actually only two people there which I thought was pretty cool. There was a lot of one-on-one time with the trainer. Then they sparred for 3, 2 minute rounds. I think this kind fo took me by suprise as I always thought sparring involved wearing headgear??? Am I wrong on that? The only reason I am concerned is that I have a pretty high profile job and I'm sure me coming in with my face all beat to a pulp would not go over well.

Aside from that, I'm jumping in head first next week. I've been running long distance a lot and doing some sprint work for the past couple months. I have to say though, I can see my legs giving up after one two minute round of that stuff. It was nonstop moving, sticking, trading punches and more dancing around the ring. Man, I cant wait to run through the gauntlet!
trip09 is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
vibit
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 920

Quote:
WEll, due to weather and my ever changing schedule, I finally made it to watch the boxing class this evening. There were actually only two people there which I thought was pretty cool. There was a lot of one-on-one time with the trainer. Then they sparred for 3, 2 minute rounds. I think this kind fo took me by suprise as I always thought sparring involved wearing headgear??? Am I wrong on that? The only reason I am concerned is that I have a pretty high profile job and I'm sure me coming in with my face all beat to a pulp would not go over well.

Aside from that, I'm jumping in head first next week. I've been running long distance a lot and doing some sprint work for the past couple months. I have to say though, I can see my legs giving up after one two minute round of that stuff. It was nonstop moving, sticking, trading punches and more dancing around the ring. Man, I cant wait to run through the gauntlet!
I'd definitely wear the head protection. Even if you don't end up with bruises, those gloves can be pretty abrasive and could also cut you. And you definitely want to minimize the risk of a concussion. So in addition to handwraps/gloves, you have your mouth guard and headgear to always wear. Plus maybe some groin protection if you have any Golota-wannabes in your gym.
vibit is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #11
paloalto00
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 347

that gym must not be a very good one if they aren't sparring with headgear...
paloalto00 is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 08:58 AM   #12
trip09

The gym mostly trains MMA guys but they include boxing classes. I think at least one of the guys was MMA. Still though, I dont understand why they risk injury just for practice? To me, that's like banging your head against the wall several times just to show someone, or yourself, you can take it. These guys have some bouts under their belts already too. I dont get it.
trip09 is offline  Top
Old 01-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #13
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
The gym mostly trains MMA guys but they include boxing classes. I think at least one of the guys was MMA. Still though, I dont understand why they risk injury just for practice? To me, that's like banging your head against the wall several times just to show someone, or yourself, you can take it. These guys have some bouts under their belts already too. I dont get it.
Its an MMA thing dude.. The thick eyebrows dense skulls close together eyes and squillions of tats are normally the give away.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 01-15-2010, 02:02 AM   #14
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Good to see the enthusiasm.

I'd be a little concerned if they are trading shots without headgear on but at walk in stage I imagine you're just doing a couple drills on parrys, slipping, blocking etc. It is not the goal of the drill to get hit or try to hit the other person(when you first start anyway) therefore headgear is not necessary.

If it is contact stuff and you think you could get marked then I'd throw on headgear anyway. Even competition style headgear is better than nothing. Just don't forget some vasoline on your face too, this will stop the cuts.

Best of luck training mate, keep us updated.
thejokerswild is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing