Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-18-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
mlg321

vCash: 1000
Default Gonna have my first sparring session, couple questions for you guys!

I'm gonna be having my first sparring session next week or so and was worrying about some things.

I feel for attacking I have decent technique for a beginner but the thing that worries me is what to do when I'm getting punched. I feel kinda lost, should I just cover up and try to block then when he steps back I go in. I feel I'll have a hard time slipping and trying to evade fast punches.

Don't know if my question is clear but if not, I'll elaborate.

Thanks!
mlg321 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
SchweitzerMan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1423
Default Re: Gonna have my first sparring session, couple questions for you guys!

Do what feels right to you.

Let us know how it goes though. And don't be shy about getting your ass handed to you. Trust me, it's happened to all of us
SchweitzerMan is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2009, 12:10 AM   #3
taj-09
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1590
Default Re: Gonna have my first sparring session, couple questions for you guys!

dont expect too much from your first sparing session, just be proud you got in there and enjoy the first time.

When you are being punched cover up and move out of there.
taj-09 is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2009, 05:15 AM   #4
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Go out and have fun like taj said, and focus on keeping your eyes at your opponent. Try remembering anything you learned in the gym, it'll probably all go out the window but that does not matter. Your first session is basically meaningless.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 12-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #5
andriy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 100

getting punched, dont get caught up in 'fight' mode (as in, fight vs flight). use your defense techniques.. which you should already know if you're sparring. also, make sure you can wrap up your opponent. learn to tie up, this is something you wouldnt have covered when doing pads/shadow/bag. if the guys swinging, get in there and just hug him and throw him around to get you back in good ring position.

hope this helps.
andriy is offline  Top
Old 12-23-2009, 04:51 PM   #6
RagamuffinMan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I can't give you any advice at all.

I had a stellar punch as I'm a big bloke. I was going to be the next big thing.

Then someone hit me. I decided I'd work in I.T. instead. Feck being hit for living - I leave it up to people I really respect, no matter what their record is. Boxing isn't for people who don't like getting hit. That ruled me out.

Just be warned, it fecking hurts.
RagamuffinMan is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 06:22 AM   #7
jof
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1363

Respect to Ragamuffinman. That's a real honest answer.

Original poster - for the time being cover up and move. If you are on the ropes move towards him and clinch.

He will start to get encouraged after this and start leaping in. Look for the uppercut. Works a treat for me but it takes a while to time properly and to disguise it.

This is very difficult to do but I've only just got the hang of it after 4 years of boxing...don't look for any power. Just tap away, its more important to get timing & distance for the time being. For example, you don't need to throw an uppercut hard if he's walking onto it. The timing will hurt him bad.
jof is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 06:41 AM   #8
Mike_S
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I know this is a forum for advice but, shouldn't your coach be telling you this? I'd say just try to follow the basic fundamentals - hands up, chin down, don't stand in range when not throwing punches. If I'd just done those for my first fight I'd have probably won. Most importantly, try to enjoy it and learn from it, take care.
Mike_S is offline  Top
Old 12-24-2009, 09:35 AM   #9
sluggersmith

vCash: 500

Keep your hands up.
Eyes opened and always looking at your opponent.
Stay relaxed and breathe.
HAVE FUN.
Listen to your trainer.
Maybe pick one thing to work on (like your jab) discuss this with your trainer before sparring begins.

Remember whatever happens this is just the beginning, so make sure that you turn up to training the next day and so on.
sluggersmith is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2009, 04:31 AM   #10
Above Deck
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggersmith View Post
Keep your hands up.
Eyes opened and always looking at your opponent.
Stay relaxed and breathe.
HAVE FUN.
Listen to your trainer.
Maybe pick one thing to work on (like your jab) discuss this with your trainer before sparring begins.

Remember whatever happens this is just the beginning, so make sure that you turn up to training the next day and so on.
Good advice, and getting hit is part of learning, embrace it, learn
from it and improve techniques to avoid it, also, be on the lookout
for any gaps, as it could be an opportunity to get a few in.
Above Deck is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing