Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 12-30-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
MagicMan91
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Addict

vCash: 179
Default Question about running

Apologies if this has been done before (I'm sure it probably has) but are there many big differences between doing your runs outside and using an exercise bike indoors? I'm going to start running more before starting to fight so it's time to step it up. I prefer to use the road however sometimes it's not possible and I have to use the bike. Just wondered what the main differences to me would be.
MagicMan91 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-2009, 11:08 AM   #2
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Question about running

Why do you run?

Cycling is better on the joints but if you cycle for an hour or jog for an hour i'd imagine there is very little to seperate the two. However sprints must surely be done on your feet.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2009, 11:22 AM   #3
MagicMan91
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas View Post
Why do you run?

Cycling is better on the joints but if you cycle for an hour or jog for an hour i'd imagine there is very little to seperate the two. However sprints must surely be done on your feet.
To improve cardio and stamina. Towards the end of sparring recently my legs were very tired so I feel as though doing some running would be beneficial & just generally get them more used to being used as I move around the ring alot when I spar.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
trip09

vCash: 500

Maybe do some high rep lunges or squats using light weight or your own body weight? I think my legs are where I am going to really fatigue out when I start sparring.
trip09 is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #5
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Attacking Old School Endurance Training

The first problem with most endurance systems designed for fighters is that the workouts revolve around too much running. You should know that running and fighting have very little carryover between them. Guys like Jason Feruggia, Alwyn Cosgrove, and Charles Poliquin have all done an excellent job of bringing to light the ineffectual relationship between running and fighting. And I'm here to put another nail in the coffin that's filled with low-intensity running.
But doesn't long-distance running build up a person's aerobic system, you ask? Sure, it never hurts to build up your aerobic capacity, but at what cost?

With long-distance running, the cost is very high. The cost is high because it can overload your adrenal glands. The last thing a fighter needs is more adrenal fatigue. Guys such as Chuck Liddell will train three times every day. A typical daily plan for elite fighters consists of energy systems work in the morning, strength training in the afternoon, and technique training at night. It's no wonder these guys must really taper off their training the week before the fight!
Not only is the cost of running high, but the benefits are about as low as a hooker's morals. The benefits of long distance running are low because it doesn't train your body with enough intensity to carry over into fighting. After all, there are very few sports that are as intense and demanding as a few rounds of fighting.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Fighters need a ton of explosive strength endurance. Running doesn't build that quality; it'll drain your explosiveness and make you as weak as Paris Hilton after an all night bender. Furthermore, fighting is a total body sport; running isn't.
Don't get me wrong, running has its place. I use a two-mile run to get a basic assessment of a fighter's aerobic capacity when he trains with me for the first time. But beyond that, all forms of running in my workouts metamorphose into loaded sprinting.
So instead of having a fighter run for 15 minutes, I'll have him bear hug a sandbag that's approximately 100 pounds and sprint with it for 40 yards. Then he'll rest for 45-60 seconds before repeating the loaded sprint/rest task 6-10 more times. Regardless of whether you're actually a fighter, that's an excellent way to spend 15 minutes of your time.
But therein lies the problem: many people don't have access to heavy sandbags or a place to sprint.
Another example is the sled. It doesn't matter how revered the sled is for building total body strength and endurance, most people simply don't have one available. And even if you did have one, you'd still need to find a hard, flat surface and you'd need to have plenty of heavy plates on hand.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Don't get me wrong, I think the sled is one of the most beneficial tools out there. If you can find a place to use one, jump over to Elite Fitness Systems and buy one. However, I also understand that a sled isn't practical for those with limited places to train. And do I even need to mention the impracticalities of a 600-pound tire? I didn't think so.
Now that you know the reasons why I decided to write another strength endurance plan for fighters, it's time to get to the good stuff!
It's about MMA but the same applies to boxing.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
MagicMan91
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Addict

Thanks for the feedback guys
Old 12-30-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
RightHooker
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMan91 View Post
To improve cardio and stamina. Towards the end of sparring recently my legs were very tired so I feel as though doing some running would be beneficial & just generally get them more used to being used as I move around the ring alot when I spar.
I ride my bike to the gym and back each day and my legs never get tired in sparring or fights.

I don't know how it would compare cardio wise to running, but if you're looking to improve the strength of your legs because they're getting tired in the ring, biking will help.
RightHooker is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #8
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ive often wondered how many people understand the Concept of Touch and Feel in the Pscyhcodynamics of Exercise its interesting.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2009, 01:58 PM   #9
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Running outdoors exercises your mind/body aswell, having to adjust to differant surfaces and inclines, dealing with roads, Stairs, hills, obsticles and what not.

Using indoor equipment for me is boring and monotone and probably doesnt build a good versitility on the random challanges you might encounter in the ring.

Maybe im talkin out me arse too
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 12-30-2009, 02:26 PM   #10
MagicMan91
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
Running outdoors exercises your mind/body aswell, having to adjust to differant surfaces and inclines, dealing with roads, Stairs, hills, obsticles and what not.

Using indoor equipment for me is boring and monotone and probably doesnt build a good versitility on the random challanges you might encounter in the ring.

Maybe im talkin out me arse too
I know what you mean. It's good to be outside and in a couple of different environments, just you, your mind, your iPod and the big wide world
Old 01-01-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

When out running its better to run, and listen to the Body not music. It stops Feel of what you are doing by 23%, pay attention to what youre doing.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #12
HairyHighlander
BASS !! HOWLOWCANUGO ??
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejokerswild View Post
Sames

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
When out running its better to run, and listen to the Body not music. It stops Feel of what you are doing by 23%, pay attention to what youre doing.
Interesting percentage. I dont know anyone that runs without music, usually they say cause its boring if they dont.

I cant run with music as i end up running with the bpm and they would vary, tried it once.......never again.

As much as i love ma tunes, it ****s with ma patterns etc and yeah, basically what JokersW says.
HairyHighlander is offline  Top
Old 01-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
MagicMan91
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Considering the very high praise from Jeff, I shall indeed take that on board

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing