Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 01-01-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
manu11ryangiggs

vCash: 500
Default Any Tips

Hi i am 17 years old and have never had any proper boxing training before. I have a heavy bag at hope which i have used alot for boxing over last 2 weeks. I have done other combat sports at a high level, winning silver and bronze medals in karate and was asked to fight muay thai in thailand etc.

The thing is i have fallen in love with the sweet science as of late and was speaking to my dad about it and he has arranged a fight (just at his training gym for me to see i i have what it takes) with this 35 ex european standard boxer for the end of january after my exams. I am so excited! Obviously i have been reading all the articles and have bought various books on boxing. He is about a stone heavier than me i think.

What i am trying to get at is anyone got any tips, i know its a difficult one. I have pretty fast hands (can throw 100 punches on the heavy bag in 15 secs) and have been told i have hard hands. Dont get me wrong i know he is going to be far far better than me but i just really want to do well so any tips would be greatfully recieved so i dont end up too much like this .

This is my workout:

Monday:
Run 16kph 20 incline 5 x 2 mins (1 min rest)
Row 1km x 5
skip 20 mins
10 x 10 pull ups (throughout the day)
2x50 sit ups on an incline

Tuesday:
2x50 press ups
5x20 tricep dips
2x50 burpees
2x50 squats
5x3min heavy bag
3x1min constant hit heavy bag
3x1min power hits
Football training

Wednesday:
5x20 pull ups
2x50 incline sit ups
skip 20 mins
Row 1km x 5

Thursday:
2x50 burpees
2x50 squats
5x3min heavy bag
3x1min power hits
Skip 20 mins

Friday:
Row 1km x 5
2x50 press ups
5x20 tricep dips
Skip 20 mins

Saturday:
Football match
5x20 pull ups
2x50 incline sit ups
5x3min heavy bag
3x1min power hits

Thanks
manu11ryangiggs is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
MagicMan91
The Main Event Mafia
ESB Addict

vCash: 179
Default Re: Any Tips

Go to a gym and get trained properly. It might sound ovbious but it really is the best thing for you.
MagicMan91 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2010, 05:09 PM   #3
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

You have no boxing experience at all, yet your father puts you in a fight???
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #4
nautolian

Like they said before me, you reaaaally might wanna get some real training, sparring, etc. Cuz, you're gonna want to get some defense and assess your form, etc. And since you were in martial arts before, you dont wanna go how Rocky Marciano did in his first fight and get disqualified for accidentally kneeing or kicking.haha
nautolian is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
taj-09
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1590

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu11ryangiggs View Post
Hi i am 17 years old and have never had any proper boxing training before. I have a heavy bag at hope which i have used alot for boxing over last 2 weeks. I have done other combat sports at a high level, winning silver and bronze medals in karate and was asked to fight muay thai in thailand etc.

The thing is i have fallen in love with the sweet science as of late and was speaking to my dad about it and he has arranged a fight (just at his training gym for me to see i i have what it takes) with this 35 ex european standard boxer for the end of january after my exams. I am so excited! Obviously i have been reading all the articles and have bought various books on boxing. He is about a stone heavier than me i think.

What i am trying to get at is anyone got any tips, i know its a difficult one. I have pretty fast hands (can throw 100 punches on the heavy bag in 15 secs) and have been told i have hard hands. Dont get me wrong i know he is going to be far far better than me but i just really want to do well so any tips would be greatfully recieved so i dont end up too much like this .

This is my workout:

Monday:
Row 1km x 5
skip 20 mins
10 x 10 pull ups (throughout the day)
2x50 sit ups on an incline

Tuesday:
2x50 press ups
5x20 tricep dips
2x50 burpees
2x50 squats
5x3min heavy bag
3x1min power hits
Football training

Wednesday:
5x20 pull ups
2x50 incline sit ups
skip 20 mins
Row 1km x 5

Thursday:
2x50 burpees
2x50 squats
5x3min heavy bag
3x1min power hits
Skip 20 mins

Friday:
Row 1km x 5
2x50 press ups
5x20 tricep dips
Skip 20 mins

Saturday:
Football match
5x20 pull ups
2x50 incline sit ups
5x3min heavy bag
3x1min power hits

Thanks

whos is your father, you said he has his own gym

and if you have competed at such a hight leven winning a bronze and silver medal you should already know how to train.

In my opinion to much strength work, not enough sport specific training. Do some sparring, do some pad work, do some defensive drills, learn combinations on the heav bag. Its not all about smashing the shit out of the heavy bag.
taj-09 is offline  Top
Old 01-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Agreed. Acquiring skills should at this point be his only concern.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-03-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
manu11ryangiggs

Hi no i dont want it to sound like my dad has thrown me in there i wanted to it was my idea. He isnt stupid if we didnt think that i would be ok i wouldnt do it he just wants me to do what i like and be happy and this will so.

I am trying to find a gym and went to to one recently but they just told me to hit the bags which i can do at home. I got some sparring in which was fun but there was no one of any great quality and i threw punches wrongly when i saw the coach was looking to see if they would pick me up on it and they didnt.

tag-09 : "and if you have competed at such a hight leven winning a bronze and silver medal you should already know how to train."

I know how to trian muay thai and karate and havent been just smashing a bag i have trained martial arts since i was 4 and know that with technique comes power. I wouldnt have have won silver and bronze in europe in karate if i didnt. Im young and new to the sport, boxing is completely different and know that the best way to improve is to ask others who know more about the sport advice, tips and secrets which have helped them to try them out and see i they work or me.

I am going to keep up the fitness and have bought a speed ball and will try to build up a strong foundation. Then over i am going back to thailand for more muay thai training for 3 months in summer then going university and will join the boxing and muay thai club.

Thanks or everyones comments so far really appreciate them i will continue to check the board and will update you after i have had a spar with that guy.
manu11ryangiggs is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #8
thejokerswild
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Your dad probably knows whats best for you and wouldn't put you in harms way. Just looking at your routine, you are certainly fit enough for an up and comer(loved the rowing in there) but yeah technique is what is key.

Ofcourse your dad probably wants to see what you have in you first so best of luck in that. (sounds like a challange to me)

Something I've noticed, where is the abs routine? What do you do for abs?

Last edited by thejokerswild; 01-04-2010 at 05:32 PM.
thejokerswild is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

If the fight is at the end of January you should be ready to take on the fighter. You just need to start an aggressive 4 week program that specifically only focuses on boxing drills. Under normal circumstances you would want to condition and spar long before an expedition fight. If you find a coach to help you prepare for this match you should be fine.
cheech is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 PM   #10
SILVIO_DANTE
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

troll
SILVIO_DANTE is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2010, 08:39 PM   #11
stephen
Contender