Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-10-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Ingemar Johansson's power:

I was rewatched footage of his first fight against Patterson earlier on today. How Floyd kept on rising off the canvas from some of those knockdowns is anybodys guess, this showed if anything his often underestimated fighting heart. It was a devestating win for Johanssson even though it would be avenged by his opponent (twice).

Just out of curiosity where (at what level) amongst the HW's greats past and present would you rank Johansson's power? (the very top backet consisting of Liston, Foreman, Tyson, Shavers and Lewis)
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588
Default Re: Ingemar Johansson's power:

Don't forget Max Baer on that top level!!

Johansson, imo, ranks just a level below the top. Maybe lower top ten among HW champs, although that's probably arguable.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 01:17 PM   #3
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

I tend to classify Ingo's power with Coetzee's. His right hand seemed to be like a rock. I do tend to think of it as an example of "clean" power. Of course he destroyed undefeated Eddie Machen with it, and could turn a match with just one of them scoring to the head. Ingo posted a pair of kayos in round 13, demonstrating that he was dangerous as long as he remained standing. This sets him apart somewhat from individuals like Shavers and Foreman. It wasn't necessary for him to first stun an opponent before dropping him, nor did he need to wear an adversary down before putting him out. His kind of power could even overcome slipshod conditioning. Like Coetzee though, I don't think of him much in terms of his left handed power.

Patterson's heart alone didn't enable him to get up continually. Floyd also always maintained outstanding conditioning (a generally unmentioned part of his success), and this probably accounts for why nobody ever put his lights out completely (as Floyd did to Ingo in their second bout, or as Leotis Martin did to Liston). Even in his two losses to Liston, Floyd was getting to his feet just as the referee counted ten.
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes' Jab
Just out of curiosity where (at what level) amongst the HW's greats past and present would you rank Johansson's power? (the very top backet consisting of Liston, Foreman, Tyson, Shavers and Lewis)
I would rate his righthand equal to or better than that of anybody you just listed there.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
I would rate his righthand equal to or better than that of anybody you just listed there.
Floyd rated it very highly,and Im not joking1
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 02:47 PM   #6
Minotauro
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Patterson said he hit harder then Liston.
Minotauro is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #7
Bummy Davis
Champion
East Side Guru

Ingo had power for sure his Ko over Patterson, His KO over Machen (Liston could not) but Ingo suffered in the other areas
Bummy Davis is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 05:40 PM   #8
Holmes' Jab
Master Jabber
ESB Addict

Some good replies there, thanks. I'd agree with quite alot of 'em too- his right hand was dynamite. I'd rate him just a bit below the very top bracket, the guy could seriously bang.

Other greats could perhaps string combinations together better, had better technique, or faster hands. I terms of raw punching power, though Johansson was chilling.
Holmes' Jab is offline  Top
Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 PM   #9
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I'd rate it about where Fraziers is, about half a notch below the top guys like Foreman, Shavers, Marciano, Cooney, Liston etc.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave krieg
Lol just by reading your replys i can tell most of you if not all of you are white.A bunch of simple minded comments over and over.As i said before and i will say again Johnansson wasn't a heavyweight,Marciano wasn't a heavyweight and Patterson wasn't a heavyweight.Knocking Patterson down proves what?That you can knock down a glass chin super middleweight?Wow big deal..You know a guy like Tyson would never be able to knock down Patterson.Lewis couldn't knock down Patterson either.Only a guy like Marciano who was better than god can.Wait i forgot that glass chin warriors like Johansson could.
Did you people see when Johansson knocked out Foreman that time?Then he knocked out other 220 plus guys like Tua with one punch.
You little white children amuse me so keep up the good work...
Don't even try to make this into a racially-charged argument. Race was never mentioned in ANY one of these posts.

A+ in racially-charged stupidity, though
radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #11
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave krieg
Lol just by reading your replys i can tell most of you if not all of you are white.A bunch of simple minded comments over and over.As i said before and i will say again Johnansson wasn't a heavyweight,Marciano wasn't a heavyweight and Patterson wasn't a heavyweight.Knocking Patterson down proves what?That you can knock down a glass chin super middleweight?Wow big deal..You know a guy like Tyson would never be able to knock down Patterson.Lewis couldn't knock down Patterson either.Only a guy like Marciano who was better than god can.Wait i forgot that glass chin warriors like Johansson could.
Did you people see when Johansson knocked out Foreman that time?Then he knocked out other 220 plus guys like Tua with one punch.
You little white children amuse me so keep up the good work...
That came completely out of left field. Are you just trying to be provocative, or are you just a moron who equates everything to race? And by the way, how do you make your sweeping assumption that everyone's white? Isn't that generalizing with a big broad brush like you idiots accuse white racists of doing?
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianttwilight
Don't even try to make this into a racially-charged argument. Race was never mentioned in ANY one of these posts.

A+ in racially-charged stupidity, though
The guy is a ****ing lunatic. If you want a good laugh, click on his name and click "find more posts of this user".
Every one of his posts goes something like this:

"Lol, clearly you are white guys. That white fighter couldn't box worth of shit, he never faced a big black boxer."

Last edited by brad; 07-28-2006 at 08:31 PM.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 10-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #13
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPontius
The guy is a ****ing lunatic. If you want a good laugh, click on his name and click "find more posts of this user".
Every one of his posts goes something like this:

"Lol, clearly you are white guys. That white fighter couldn't box worth of shit, he never faced a big black boxer."

Luigi1985 is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum