Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 01-03-2010, 08:11 PM   #91
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 619
Default Re: the what fights did you watch today\scorecard thread.

Shane Mosley - Miguel Cotto
The first time I scored this fight it was 115-113 for Cotto. Last time it was 114-114. This time I scored it 115-113 for Mosley. I have no idea why Cotto was running the last two rounds. He couldn't have thought he was that far ahead on the cards.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #92
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Rewatched a few fights from the past few months:

Denis Boytsov vs. Jason Gavern - Funny fight with hilarious showboating.
Jean Pascal vs. Adrian Diaconu - Epic battle.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 01-04-2010, 04:19 AM   #93
Rise Above
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 210

Just rewatched Rose vs Harada. I scored the fight 8-6 to Rose with one round even.

Great fight with Harada putting alot of pressure on Rose and working the body alot. Rose showing great footwork and countering beautifully.
Rise Above is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #94
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Duran - Dejesus II. I have this fight somewhere but just watched it on Youtube (thanks Addie). Dejesus is a true badass for having knocked Duran twice in there series. I think Dejesus could've been a top 40 ATG if not for the great Duran.

I gave Dejesus the first 2 rounds (10-8 in the 1st with the knockdown). I gave Duran the rest of the rounds. The 5th round was close (gave it to Duran). 10-8 for Duran in 7th due to a knockdown.

This is a great performance by Duran. Dejesus looked really sharp but Duran was just better. Dejesus had success with the left hook against Duran but maybe violated the rule "don't hook with a hooker". After the first 2 rounds Duran's hook was getting there quicker and stronger. Dejesus often hooked with no setup and Duran figured that out after a few rounds.

sidenote: I believe the referee is the same who had the horrendous stoppage in the Duran - Marcel fight. I didn't notice him much in this fight, as it should be.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 01-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #95
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Watched Harada vs Turner all the way through.

I'm about to go to bed so won't post my thoughts. Would take me all day to encapsulate how good a fight it is. Just reaffirms how good I think Gavilan was. Awesome fight, am interested in Turner now, have two more of his fights to watch

Watched Louis vs Carnera. Was surprised as I've only seen bits of the Sharkey and Baer figths but even accounting for the sped-up nature of old celluloid he looks fairly fast and capable. Good in fact.

Strange, as he showed immense heart in the Baer match (did he really break his ankle?!?!? Multiple knockdowns from a savage puncher nonetheless) but here Louis drops him three times and Carnera wants none of it.

Was it because Carnera had had enough? End of his career? I can't be arsed to find out. I'll hedge a bet its because Joe Louis was punching him I certainly wouldn't wanna see out ten seconds let alone six rounds!!!

Started watching the first Conn fight (seen it before anyway) but it got so cold in my shed I finished my joint in the porch and came up onto my PC instead.

And now I'm off to bed

Gonna rescore Duran-Barkley tomorrow. Had it 114-113 Duran, what did you guys have it? Lost my individual rounds though so will do it again and see what happens
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 12:22 AM   #96
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

I'm about to go to bed so won't post my thoughts. Would take me all day to encapsulate how good a fight it is. Just reaffirms how good I think Gavilan was. Awesome fight, am interested in Turner now, have two more of his fights to watch
Probably my favourite fight of all time. The most vicious and brutal exchanges I've ever seen. And I agree that it reaffirms the greatness of Kid.

Turner is a very underrated fighter for mine, especially as a welterweight.

Turner could very well have beaten guys like Mosley, Quartey, DLH etc, but you'll never hear him get the recognition those guys get.

Check out Gil's fight with Joey Giardello if you can. Another classic scrap and a close fight too.

Quote:
Gonna rescore Duran-Barkley tomorrow. Had it 114-113 Duran, what did you guys have it? Lost my individual rounds though so will do it again and see what happens
Roberto Duran vs. Iran Barkley: 114-114 Draw
Duran: 1,7,9,10 and 11( 10-8 ).
Barkley: 2,4,5,6 8 and 12.
Round 3 even.
sweet_scientist is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 02:41 AM   #97
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Just watched Mark Johnson vs. Alberto Jimenez, and wow... fantastic, fantastic fight.

Jimenez was as solid as a rock throughout, and walked through every single Johnson punch, making him look like an ordinary hitter, when he was anything but that. Jimenez's punches were short, sharp, solid and very heavy. He had Johnson in trouble on a few occasions, but never to the extent of being close to knocking him out. Jimenez's defense was quite good too, he took away Johnson's jab somewhat and rolled with punches well when he needed to.

Johnson was full of activity and speed and threw a heap of punches whilst moving for most of the fight. Some real sharpness to his punches, mixed in with some wild shots as we know he is capable of. Tremendous conditioning overall to fight as he did for 12 rounds and I thought he boxed superbly overall.

I can see how some felt that Jimenez won this fight given that he did finish rounds the stronger and his punches seemed to effect Johnson more than vice versa, but for me Johnson was simply landing too many clean shots to offset those advantages, and he was controlling the first two minutes of most rounds before Jimenez would come on.

Anyway, my scorecard:

Mark Johnson vs. Alberto Jimenez: 116-113 Johnson
Jimenez: 1,5,9 and 11.
Johnson: 2,3,4,6,7,8 and 10.
Round 12 even.

Last edited by sweet_scientist; 01-07-2010 at 03:04 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:16 AM   #98
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:

Watched Louis vs Carnera. Was surprised as I've only seen bits of the Sharkey and Baer figths but even accounting for the sped-up nature of old celluloid he looks fairly fast and capable. Good in fact.

Strange, as he showed immense heart in the Baer match (did he really break his ankle?!?!? Multiple knockdowns from a savage puncher nonetheless) but here Louis drops him three times and Carnera wants none of it.

Was it because Carnera had had enough? End of his career? I can't be arsed to find out. I'll hedge a bet its because Joe Louis was punching him I certainly wouldn't wanna see out ten seconds let alone six rounds!!!

Started watching the first Conn fight (seen it before anyway) but it got so cold in my shed I finished my joint in the porch and came up onto my PC instead.

And now I'm off to bed

Harada vs Turner?
AlFrancis is online now  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 07:01 AM   #99
ricardoparker93
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 5403

Just finished wathcing Duran vs Benitez

I had it 146 - 140 Benitez
ricardoparker93 is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #100
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Meant Gavilan Al

Scientist; Thanks for the input

I got Fuller and Giardello vs Turner, will watch them tonight.
Turner vs Trinidad anyone?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #101
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Meant Gavilan Al

Scientist; Thanks for the input

I got Fuller and Giardello vs Turner, will watch them tonight.
Turner vs Trinidad anyone?
Give me Tito late in that one, but Turner would be up on the cards at the time.

I'd give Turner good shots at beating the likes of Curry, Starling, Cokes, McGirt though.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #102
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I haven't seen Turner, I'll have to have a look. High praise indeed.
AlFrancis is online now  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #103
sweet_scientist
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
I haven't seen Turner, I'll have to have a look. High praise indeed.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:37 AM   #104
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Probably my favourite fight of all time. The most vicious and brutal exchanges I've ever seen. And I agree that it reaffirms the greatness of Kid.

Turner is a very underrated fighter for mine, especially as a welterweight.

Turner could very well have beaten guys like Mosley, Quartey, DLH etc, but you'll never hear him get the recognition those guys get.

Check out Gil's fight with Joey Giardello if you can. Another classic scrap and a close fight too.
One of my favrouite fights aswell, cant really add much but reaffirm how brutal those exchanges were especially from Gavilan who was winging them in. Also one of the most brutal ending's i have seen.

I like your comparison with Meldrick Taylor for Turner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet_scientist View Post
Give me Tito late in that one, but Turner would be up on the cards at the time.

I'd give Turner good shots at beating the likes of Curry, Starling, Cokes, McGirt though.
I agree with the rest but not Curry.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 01-07-2010, 09:38 AM   #105
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I was raelly impressed with Turner. Surprised he ended up at Middle, what sorta' weight was he there? Would 154 be a perfect weight for him nowadays?

He's a ferocious fighter. Takes a serious beating, he certainly isn't running on empty late, it's a savage beating from Gavilan that ends it in a fight I had about 5-5 going into the 11th. The last three right hands Gavilan lands as he beats the kid to a standstill are so accurate it's scary.

I like Turners ability to keep throwing shots when Gavilan is trying to change the angles. Turner isn't just a straight up slugger by the looks of it, and he even throws some bolo punches, though I'm not sure (having not watched the aforementioned Fullmer and Giardello fights, which I also received yesterday) whether that was part of his arsenal or just a ploy to get into Gavilans head (i.e anything you can do I can do better)

He lands the jab against the taller Gavilan really well too, snapping the Cuban Hawks head back quite a few times.

The exchanges are BRUTAL. Two top operators (Turner only in his third year as a professional, hard to believe) who are well conditioned (physically and mentally) who can both box (Gavilan obviously superior in that department) can both punch (Gavilan a really underrated puncher IMO, not a monsterous puncher but his accuracy, workrate and ferocity mean I hate when he is labelled as a feather fist by those who have only checked his K.O%) and neither are easily dissuaded.

I'd only seen hl's before. Officially one of my favourite fights now. I'm glad RB chose the Fullmer and Giardello fights (I know Turner had a series with Fullmer, not sure whether it's the one Turner wins or not) as I wanted to see more of Turner as soon as the fight finished.

Anyway, that stream of consciousness above is a mere ramble; doesn't portray my full appreciation other than the fight.

Put it this way, you know a fight is quality when you're giggling like a schoolgirl at the exchanges
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum